OT Alcan AL-5 in 45acp

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

OT Alcan AL-5 in 45acp

Post by Buffboy »

I've got a couple cans of this powder I'd like to burn up in my 230gr cast 45acp loads. I can't find reloading data for this application. Anybody got an old book with it listed for this cartridge?
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Alcan AL-5 in 45acp

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Lyman 3rd edition cast handbook list bullet weights from 185gr to 225gr boolits. 185's 5.1 to 8.3 grs. 195's 5.8grs to 8.5grs. 200's 5.8 to 8.4grs. 225's 5.5 to 8.7grs. Start loads averaged 621 to 729fps. Max loads show 943 to 1014fps. Hope this helps.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Thanks
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Speer #8 & 9 has Alcan AL 5 data too. I you want I'll check and see what it says for you.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Joe, Thanks, but I went out with 3LTs info and some other data I found on a couple other forums. I worked up from 6.0 to 7.5 gr under that cast bullet. Got up to right around 800fps and that's all I was looking for. Had to shoot over the chronograph without the skyscreens cause the wind's blowing too hard to keep it upright with them on. It did fine till the sun came out, then I had a couple missed readings on the 7.5gr load. My, but this powder burns clean, next to no fouling from it, very consistent, and it meters excellent. I'll have to wait to see if it needs more tweeking till the wind goes down and I can test for accuracy.

- L. Neil Smith
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Buffboy wrote:Joe, Thanks, but I went out with 3LTs info and some other data I found on a couple other forums. I worked up from 6.0 to 7.5 gr under that cast bullet. Got up to right around 800fps and that's all I was looking for. Had to shoot over the chronograph without the skyscreens cause the wind's blowing too hard to keep it upright with them on. It did fine till the sun came out, then I had a couple missed readings on the 7.5gr load. My, but this powder burns clean, next to no fouling from it, very consistent, and it meters excellent. I'll have to wait to see if it needs more tweeking till the wind goes down and I can test for accuracy.

A couple years ago I picked up about two pounds of AL-7. I found it to be exactly like you describe in my .45 Colts. Why do we find great stuff after it's gone?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***