OT: How vital is a Chronograph

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

OT: How vital is a Chronograph

Post by Bigahh »

Can someone explain to me the importance of a Chronograph? I am sure the hand loader needs one more than the guy shooting factory loads, but why? Please talk me into buying one.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: OT: How vital is a Chronograph

Post by Terry Murbach »

DID ONE OF US HAVE TO TALK YOU INTO BUYING A SPEEDOMETER FOR YOUR TRUCK ??
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bigahh,

I have been loading my ammo for almost 40 years. I do not own nor have I ever owned a chronograph. My ammo works good ... but in reality I have no idea what velocity I'm getting from it.

The loading data you use is only a generic guide, the velocity it lists is only good for the test gun and components they used.
Your gun and components WILL vary.

Why does a hand loader need a chronograph? To verify the velocity of his ammo.
Or to work up smokeless loads for 1876 Copies that do not exceed black powder levels.

Do you absolutely have to have one ..... no. Would it make your ammo better, most likely.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

A chronograph is not vital....however, if you handload it is an essential tool to tell you how consistant your handloads are.
I would not be without one.
IMO every handloader should have one and the great thing is they are not that expensive.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

I have had a Pact chrno. for 10 years or so. Used the heck out of it for about 2 months, hasent been set up in 7 or 8 years now. Fun toy for awhile.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Sure hope you were not looking for consistancy of opinion here!! :shock: :lol:

I agree with borregos, if you are a serious shooter and handloader you will benefit greatly from a chrono.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Terry Murbach wrote:DID ONE OF US HAVE TO TALK YOU INTO BUYING A SPEEDOMETER FOR YOUR TRUCK ??
Not to be a smart a-- but Terry is usually very direct and very correct. This is no exception. Absolutely no question, if one wants to know what ones loads are doing ballistically, a chrono is essential. No need to talk you "into it". Regards, 1886
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

If you're reloading, it really helps work up a load. You know when you have consistency. Consistent loads are very often, though not always, the most accurate ones. A load that is all over the place never is. You can find an accurate load without a crono but you run into a lot more dead ends before finding it without one.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Are they necessary? No.
Are they helpful? Yes very much so.
I was running some rounds reloaded for the 3006, velocity claimed by the source was to be near 3000 fps. Actual fact, they were doing about 2600. Went on to other data from the same manual, actually found that one of the recommended loads did the 3000 fp and produced better accuracy.
It's also really handy in my case, as Wyoming says that a handgun must present a minimum 500 ft.lbs of engergy at 100 yds to be legal. It is extremely tough to find a load from a 4 5/8 in blackhawk that will actually give enough velocity to keep you technically "legal".
When loading bpcr match rounds, you usually know you got a good one that not only groups well, but the spread between shots will only be around 5 fps or less.
For 75 bucks they'll give you a couple of months worth of entertainment, from there on out you may only use it a couple of times a year. There seems to be no experiation date on em. :mrgreen:
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

If you are loading corroborated, published loads, probably below max is good too, you don't need one.
Step outside that box, and they are real handy,
Say you find your gun has a throat that is longer than standard, and your gun will cycle a longer round. You've just increased case capacity. How many grains brings you back up to your original velocity?
Say you like the idea of heavy cast bullets with a wide meplat. The Linebaugh penetration tests suggest that 1500-1800 is an ideal range for deepest penetration.
If you find accruacy keeps improving as you increase powder charge, where do you stop?
The list is endless.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You will not know the characteristics of your loads or factory loads in your rifle without it. For those who don't care - fine, but I want to know and have chronographed more than 10,000 rounds in 20 or more rifles with records on all of those.

If your hunting or shooting is short to medium in range it might not matter at all if you are using something appropriate. If the ranges are long I think it is very helpful.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

It just adds another perspective to your handloading. I bought a Chrony for around $80. I don't use it all the time . But when I have loads for a couple different rifles I set it up . It is fun because it has changed my opinions on certain powders and different manuals. It will show you the velocity variations in cetain powders. Some powders will very 80fps with the same load when shooting five shot strings. So it helps me choose loads that gives good accuracy and least amount of velocity spread. They are affordable these days. Go for it.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

For my style of shooting, a chronograph is not vital at all. I go for accuracy using published load data, and always stay below max charge. I look for the most accurate load out to a max of 300yds. 20 or 30 so feet per second spread makes little or no difference at close ranges.
Long range out to 1000yds is a different story. For that I would have great use of a chronograph. I would look for a load with an extreme spread in the single digits.
I never like to take more stuff to the range than what I really need.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I will give you an example of why I feel a chrony is essential. I once owned a wonderfully accurate CZ 550FS 9.3x62. Any reasonable load was more than accurate enough for any type of hunting one might pursue with this rifle. Some loads were incredibly accurate, especially with the discontinued Noslar 250gr Ballistic Tip. This rifle thrived on Varget. The only issue with this rifle was that it had a really "fast" barrel. Published loads were in many instances 200fps faster than what the various manuals would state or predict. Without the chrony I would never have never known this and in all likely hood really be pushing the pressure envelope into dangerous territory if I had approached max. published loads. It is essential to know how fast one's loads are going. This is only the beginning of what valuable info can be gleaned. Chronys can be had for short money, making it all the more logical to own and use one. 1886.
Last edited by 1886 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I reloaded for several years without one. Then, I bought one and didn't use it for a year or so. I did pretty well, just using and comparing loads from manuals.

BUT - if you start getting picky with your loads and/or want to be able to predict trajectories accurately for distance shooting or hunting, it sure helps to know how fast that bullet leaves the muzzle. Each firearm is different, loads vary from batch to batch for a number of reasons.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

You only need one if you reload your own ammo.
I would not be without one. :D
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Thanks guys, some good answers. I will get one soon, and plan on taking the Bobcat to the cabin this week to plow out my rifle range. You simply would not believe the snow in my neck of the woods!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Bigahh Thanks guys, some good answers. I will get one soon, and plan on taking the Bobcat to the cabin this week to plow out my rifle range. You simply would not believe the snow in my neck of the woods!
Don't forget the pix!!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I reloaded for a year or two without one. Made reloading more of a task than a pleasure before I got one. After I got the chrono and could actually "see" what I was doing, the whole hobby of handloading became INFINATELY more enjoyable. Best $100 bucks I ever spent in my life! 8) You are depriving yourself, my friend. You will also make much more accurate ammo. As most the time, Terry is right.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I find it important to see the truth instead of guessing. I've been surprised a time or two. I've learned something every time. I wouldn't willingly be without one again.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Properly used they are a ggod tool to have available. The problem is that too many folks use them to make SURE they are getting the last FPS possible from their overloads. The best use of the chronograph is to check SD and make uniform loads rather than strain everything trying to get leat last fps.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

KCSO wrote:Properly used they are a ggod tool to have available. The problem is that too many folks use them to make SURE they are getting the last FPS possible from their overloads. The best use of the chronograph is to check SD and make uniform loads rather than strain everything trying to get leat last fps.
It can be a tool to detect problems as well as verify bragging rights...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

The chronograph also gives a crude check on pressures. If your fps is over that in your load book, your pressures most likely are as well. As said above, trying to run your loads right to the fps in the load book is dangerous territory; you can get the same fps and still be well over the pressure -- more comments are found here.