Do we need this...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Do we need this...?

Post by alnitak »

I was at another forum and saw this thread on abbreviations:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=3&t=560217

Looks like many of them could apply here (certainly the generic ones, like AFAIK, IMHO, IANAL(NDIPOOTV), etc. I'm sure there are levergun-specific abbreviations, such as TD (take-down), SRC (how many times have we seen posters ask what that stands for), BLR, etc. Maybe we could also add some other definitions and explanations of specific terms, e.g., "high-wall", "carbine", "Trapper", etc. .

What do y'all think?
Last edited by alnitak on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Do we need this...?

Post by Blaine »

How about PITA ABBRs? :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I just use this whe I see one I dont know.
http://www.noslang.com/dictionary/1
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

There are literally tons of abbreviations used in computer talk that I never have understood, but then I don't care about most of them. Gun abbreviations are another thing, and I do care about them!
I like some of the references used in the Bluebook, Flaydermans, etc. and there are some that have become "standard" for most folks.
OB-Octagon barrel
RD-Round barrel
HOB-Half octagon barrel
HB-Heavy barrel
CB-Crescent buttplate
FM-Full mag
PG-Pistol grip
SG-Straight grip
TD-Takedown
CCH-Color casehardened
ST-Set triggers
DST-Double set triggers
CCDST-Close coupled double set triggers
TS-Tang sight
RS-Receiver sight
RMS-Rocky mountain sight
SRC-Saddlering carbine

These are pretty common. I'm sure there's some I've forgotten.-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey ya'll - I'm of the opposite frame of mind. In order to communicate today, especially via computer, we have an opportunity to transmit information at unbelievable speed and accuracy. We don't have to start out chasing the turkey around the back 40, plucking out a tail feather, whittling a point on it with our "penknife", getting the stopper out of our inkwell... We can take a picture, write a ledgible note, and transmit both across the country or an ocean in MINUTES. I will have to qualify this by saying I don't know how to post a picture on the forum...yet. Why not strive for accurate complete information, especially for those folks that may not be familiar with our "jargon or abbreviations" when we communicate through this medium? The use of abbreviations, in my experience, often reduces a post to gibberish. Just my humble opinion. Watch yer top knots. Wind
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

keep it simple. I agree with wind
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I have to go along with wind. I know there are standards, but some, like me, may have to deal with abbreviations and acronyms in a couple other areas in their daily routine. I deal with automotive/truck repair and nearly EVERYTHING is an acronym or abbreviation, so for my off time it isn't enjoyable to decypher a whole different set of acronyms. I for one would preferr words written out (even if ya cant spel rite).
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

mikld wrote: I for one would preferr words written out
As would we all, but it isn't going to happen. For example, who is going to write out Saddle Ring Carbine every time rather than SRC? Abbreviations are a fact of life, especially on forums where people prefer quick notes rather than paragraphs. A list of abbreviations would help newcomers especially. I know I spent months reading a bunch of posts before I caught onto all (most of) the lingo used. I could have gotten a lot more out of the posts a lot sooner if I didn't have to lurk for a while until I understood more.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Alnitak - That is exactly what I'm talking about. "Saddle Ring Carbine" took me seven seconds to type with two fingers. Understand this is in no way an attack on you, but one shouldn't have to lurk for months to figure out what language is being used on a forum in an English speaking country (at least for now). Even scrolling up to Marlinman93's nearby post with abbreviations, reading them looking for SRC, and scrolling back to your post took twice as long as just spelling it out to begin with. What if you had to go looking for a list, not finding what you were looking for there, so then off to find another list? I have been in the same boat as you, and I find it aggravating. My point was that by writing with complete words and sentences, our transmitted facts and information will be easier to understand by those folks perusing this and other forums. Just some more of my humble opinion. Watch yer top knots. Wind
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Y Cannuck »

The abbreviations are for the two fingered typists.
um, that would be me. :oops:
But I'm an old fanny burp, and with the exception of a few, that I've come to recognize, over the last twenty or so years of internet, I still find them all to be a big PIA. :lol: