Who has a Taurus Judge 45/410

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kemosabi45
Levergunner 1.0

Who has a Taurus Judge 45/410

Post by kemosabi45 »

What do you think of it?
Is it easy and comfortable to carry?
Don't you think a 4" 44 mag is just as or even more versatile?
Hobie

Re: Who has a Taurus Judge 45/410

Post by Hobie »

I don't have one but the shop sure does sell a lot of them, all new. Other guns go out and come back for all sorts of reasons but not the Judges so there are never any used Judges to sell. Yes, people actually shoot them, they come back and buy ammo!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

They look like fun.
I'd like to pick one up. I think it would make a great trail/ camp gun.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

The Judge is one of the most popular handguns to be introduced in recent years. Very versatile. If I wanted a .45 Colt revolver, I would choose something else. However, for a .410, I really like the lightweight Judge.
http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-UltraLiteJudge.htm
Taurus introduced a smaller Judge at SHOT, built on the 85 (J-Frame size) platform.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

My dealer says I can't get one in California. I guess it is considered a sawed off shotgun.
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

Have had problems with the mainspring not setting off shotshells on several and the locking bolt is short about .020, on several other than that quite a workable pack gun...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jjames wrote:My dealer says I can't get one in California. I guess it is considered a sawed off shotgun.
Gun laws are so stupid!

I wonder if anyone ever "skeet shoots" with them - I have with a .45/.410 Contender, and didn't do all that bad...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

AJMD429, +1
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Read the box o' truth article on the Judge, then read the one on snake loads for the .38 and .44 revolver. Pay special attention to the pattern pics, and then remember that the .410 out of a 3 inch revolver is about 750 fps, the 38 or 44 shotshell load is about 1000 fps.
Fairshake
Levergunner

Post by Fairshake »

I've had my SS Judge for about 16 months now and just love it. If the gun is used as intented it will perform well. I use it in our boat and it's taken more than a few shark loaded with slug and buckshot. It is also used when hiking in the woods and camping. Loaded with 6 shot it will put a close rabbit in the pot. It also does a job on mean Louisiana snakes. Last but not least I use it as a car gun( 3/4 ton). When carried in this fashion, it's loaded with 2 buckshot, 2 slugs and then a WW 45 Silvertip. I know of no creature that put his head in my window that would be able to retract that same head. :)
klrhunter650
Levergunner

Post by klrhunter650 »

I loved my stainless 4" Judge until I found out it was a very poor shot gun. I was disappointed with it shot shell performance. I thought it was a neat gun though. I highly recommend a set of Hogue Mono-grips of you get one.
kemosabi45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kemosabi45 »

Don't you feel a 45 LC or a 44 mag loaded with CCI Rat/Snake shot shells in the 1st 2 rounds and then regular ammo is just as good or maybe more useful in the woods or car. From the test I have found on the net it's good with shot shells out to 20 feet.
But I do think Judge Ultra Lite would make a great boat gun. In a holster on your side on under your pelosi in a under arm holster while you are sitting fishing would be fast and dispatch a snake, gator or what ever better and easy than any other 27 oz gun that I can think of.
The New 3" mag 410 seems like it would add a lot of power but.
I have a Bond Arms Snake Slayer able to shoot 3" shot shells but with 3" buck shot it's hell on the hand. It patterns best with CCI 45 shot shells and only out to 12 feet. It does shot 45 LC nice and accurate out to 25 yards for me. I have seen Bob Munden shot his out to a 100 yards but he is much better than I am with a hand gun..
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

kemosabi45 wrote:Don't you feel a 45 LC or a 44 mag loaded with CCI Rat/Snake shot shells in the 1st 2 rounds and then regular ammo is just as good or maybe more useful in the woods or car. From the test I have found on the net it's good with shot shells out to 20 feet.
Absolutely ... Next time I find a Taurus or Rossi stainless .44 Special I'm going to have a dedicated snake gun.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I think they are goofy. Have no use for one.

I've found (through personal experience) that a Ruger Bearcat with CCI shotshells (22lr) is simply an outstanding dispatcher of piosonous snakes.

For defense work, I'd much rather have a dedicated revolver in 38 Special or better.

But then, I shoot often and am very confident in my ability to place shots. I also own quite a few different revolvers and autoloaders in various calibers, so I don't need "versitile".

I'm sitting in a Marriott Courtyard in Metairie, LA (New Orleans) and have a Glock 17 laying on the desk next to me, stoked with 147 Grain Rem Golden Sabers - 15 rounds (downloaded 2 rounds below max capacity).

For less money, you can buy a police trade-in G17...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Fairshake
Levergunner

Post by Fairshake »

I don't think that a 22lr snake shot will come close to the amount of shot carried by a 410. The 22 uses #12 and the 410 0ffers many different loads. I 'd rather put 3 buckshot with each triggerpull than one slug that could miss. By slug I mean a single bullet from a cartridge case. I also don't think that the 22 lr will take care of a mad hooked Black tip shark in the 6ft and up range. I'm a master class combat shooter when shooting PPC. I've also been involved in real street shootings while on duty as a Deputy Sheriff in Baton Rouge La. I will be the first to say that the best target shooters miss when the real shooting starts. Therefore a gun that fires 3 buckshot with every trigger pull is not a bad choice for self defense.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Fairshake wrote:I don't think that a 22lr snake shot will come close to the amount of shot carried by a 410. The 22 uses #12 and the 410 0ffers many different loads. I 'd rather put 3 buckshot with each triggerpull than one slug that could miss. By slug I mean a single bullet from a cartridge case. I also don't think that the 22 lr will take care of a mad hooked Black tip shark in the 6ft and up range. I'm a master class combat shooter when shooting PPC. I've also been involved in real street shootings while on duty as a Deputy Sheriff in Baton Rouge La. I will be the first to say that the best target shooters miss when the real shooting starts. Therefore a gun that fires 3 buckshot with every trigger pull is not a bad choice for self defense.
Here is an objective review: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

I will still take my .22LR for snakes and one of my "normal" cartridge guns for other stuff - sharks, 2 legged predators, etc...

I've used the little CCI shot shells on snakes and they are one shot, one kill. How much better do you need?

Based on the BOT review, I would spend my money on a standard big bore revolver and get some CCI shot shell loads if you need one gun for multiple applications. I just think the judge is the wrong answer to the question.

Maybe the 3" version would do better, but I doubt the penetration would do any better and the accuracy of the 45 Colt probably suffers - though I don't know that for sure...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Not my cup of tea, but I did see one in the flick, Max Pain.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
kemosabi45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kemosabi45 »

I was out walking in the woods last week near the St. Johns River out side of Orlando and I was carrying my CCW S&W SS 66 2-1/2' with CCI snake shot in the 1st cyl. and then five 158gn. SJHP for the rest. I walked up on 2 - 4' snakes at a water hole. They were rat snakes and they exited the area as soon as they saw me so i did not shoot them. I also saw 3 armadillos and 1 large raccoon hunting for food also saw a bunch of birds. Hunting season is over in this area so i can only shoot in self defense. As I hiked along I was trying to imagine if i had a 44mag or a 22mag or the judge 45/410 what would be the best to have and for why. The 22mag was what i thought best until I was near the end of my walk. The area had hog sign every where and a lot of the area was 4' to 5' high saw grass with trails for hogs under the grass. As long as i didn't run into any hog I was happy with my model 66 or the thought of bringing a 22mag later. Then about 15 minutes from the truck near the end of my walk I surprised 2 fair size hogs eating and digging in a shallow swamp hole about 1’ deep and 50’ in circumference. The one closer to me saw me and I froze in place and we stared at each other then the rear one saw what was going on and started to retreat quickly, then the other one followed suit and retreated quickly also. It all happened so fast that I could not even focus my camera for a picture and i thought what if instead of retreating they decided to defend them self’s and attack. A 22mag no good, a 22lr no good, a Judge with bird or buck shot no good and 3 45LC's in it maybe OK, my 5 shots of 357mag OK but 5 rounds of 44 mag or 45LC +P GOOD.
Yes I believe that you are right the Judge Ultra Lite is a great boat gun but a better swamp gun is a 6 shot 45LC +P or a 44 mag.
My new problem is how to carry a 4-3/4” 44mag Ruger-Bisley-Valquero concealed and steal dress for the Florida heat.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My buddy had one.....I was not real impressed. The cyl would lock up using the shotshells, and I didn't, personally, like the feel of it (which really don't mean squat as every one is different :mrgreen: )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV