.22 mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marantz1
Levergunner

.22 mag

Post by marantz1 »

I've been flirting with the idea of buying a Winchester 94 in .22 mag for plincking only (I don't hunt). .22 mag seems like a reasonable compromise because it delivers somewhat of a "kick," yet the ammo is still affordable, unlike centerfire which is almost prohibitively expensive unless one reloads (I don't).

Does anyone here plinck with .22 mag? If so, with which gun?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .22 mag

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a CZ-452 with a Mann. stock in 22 Mag. I love that thing. Deadly accurate and
just a ball to shoot.

So far all I've done is punch paper and cans with it. But those woodchucks better look out this spring!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Plink regularly with a Savage 30 single shot that i modified into a takedown backpack gun, and in addition I made a shotgun barrel for it (use it to shoot down flying insects in the summer with shot loads...great fun) and a Ruger single six. LOVE the caliber. Lots of ammo choices and once you find a brand/style that shoots you can often find a quantity purchase of it that can save you money. In montana 2 years ago i found a store that was closing out its inventory of PMC 22 Mag ammo. That is the brand I use anyway. Got the ammo for $45 per brick of 10! They have no sales tax there. I bought several bricks (now I wish i wouyld have cleaned them out)..thats $4.50 per box! Winchesters Dynapoints shoot good also, they are somewhat cheap.
About 7 or 8 years ago I passed on a new in the box Win. Model 9422 mag with a BEAUTIFUL laminated wood stock for $175 out the door. regret it to this day. It was a steal even then.
One other thing about the 22 Mag, here in Ohio where we have zero or below zero temps...the cartridge is big enough that in the cold you can still handle it, unlike 22 LR where it seems I am constantly dropping rounds in the snow as I lose the feelings in my fingers.
What are you looking at price-wise for one?
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

marantz1,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have a rifle in .22 Mag. But if I did I'd plink with it. I do with all my center fire rifles so a .22 Mag would be no different.
It would be expensive though. I've watched the prices of 22 mag ammo go up up up in recent years.
And if you did decided to varmint or small game hunt you'd already have the rifle to do it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Not to nitpick but for those who don't know, the correct model would be 9422M...

I have a couple of .22 Mags. If you get one budget for a couple of bricks of ammo. The price will only be increasing...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

.22mag is under-mis-appreciated, but expensive to "plink" with. I have a newer 9422M and it is very smooth cycling and easy to handle with a horrid trigger. I keep it loaded by the bed and it and all the ammo I could carry would go with me (as well as the Single Six w/mag cyl) if I had to "bug out" for awhile and couldn't take much stuff with me. Little white rocks bounce when hit by a .22LR, but explode when hit by the Maggy.... :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
marantz1
Levergunner

Post by marantz1 »

Coyote Nose, I haven't seen any new 94ms for under $500. Even used on Gunbroker seem high.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I shoot a Smith 648 and an AutoMag II and my kid's got an HK-300 ... all are 22 Mag. I enjoy the round but it's getting more expensive. My favorite round is the 40 grain Winchester JHP's but they are murder to find at the moment. The manufacturers seem to be focusing on 22LR of late and it's causing stocks of 22WMR to suffer at most dealers. You should be able to get a box of 50 for about $9.50 these days unless you decide to shoot the lighter "premium" stuff. The lightest of the premiums that I usually shoot are the 34 grain Winchester. I find the lighter 30 grain stuff doesn't do all that well in my guns.

I've thought about buying some of the Berger 37 grain bullets and using my 22 Jet dies to make my own loads in 22WMR. I haven't done it yet though. Possibly using Lil'Gun in place of the powder put in at the factory. Building custom 22WMR loads was popular for a while I believe for silhouette shooters but then Federal came out with their 50 grain load and all of the custom stuff dwindled away.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire marantz1,
I have a 9422M and a 9422. I find the 9422 in Long Rifle is much more fun for plinking being that much quieter. I use the Magnum on Foxes but when I was a member of a club I used to shoot it at 200 yds. with open sights and suprise a few of the Centre Fire guys. :wink:
Wish I could see that good now :cry:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I been shooting a Henry lever for 2 years its great for wandering and shooting. Every load i put thru it has done ragged cloverleafs at 44 yards. It is cool what it does to pop cans and soup cans. Plastic pop bottles with water in them turn into mist. Every load i have shot has done 30-80fps faster than what there charts show. Loads i have used are CCI 40gr FMJ and JHP, Hornady 30gr Vmax, Federal 50gr small load, and 22WRF with 45gr JFP. I have accumulated almost 2k round and the best part is you dont have worry about finding your brass afterwards. I also wished I had bought a 9422 b4 Winchester went bellyup, but if I could see in the future, i would be either really rich or really dead. Also Sportsman Guide had some decent deals on 22 mag when i checked this weekend.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Hobie wrote:Not to nitpick but for those who don't know, the correct model would be 9422M...

I have a couple of .22 Mags. If you get one budget for a couple of bricks of ammo. The price will only be increasing...
"A couple of bricks"!!!!! A guy would be much better off buying at least 10-bricks. With ammo going up like it is and with it getting harder to find, it pays to stock up now while we can. Besides, I'm just waiting for the hammer to fall saying that loaded ammo, primers, and powder can't be shipped to individuals anymore because they are explosives and that lead or anything that contains lead (jacketed bullets and lead bullets) can't be shipped because they are a threat to the environment.

Robert Kennedy, Jr. has already been on Cavuto today spouting his/the greenies environmental babble about all things that endanger the environment.
ED
Yer never too old
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I don't do a lot of plinking with the 22mag, but I do hunt with a 9422mag and I highly recommend it. I have a receiver sight on mine, and it's deadly, and has a very smooth action.
NRA Life Member, Patron
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have NEVER been without one since age 13.
I would feel naked without one.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Does anyone here plink with .22 mag? If so, with which gun?

I can't say that I plink with it. I may have shot 300rds in the past year at the range. I use my Single Sixes, 9422m, and 1894M.

I really don't think of the 22mag as a plinking round though, especially with bulk 22lr and my 38spcl loads being so cheap.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

My 9422M is great.

Hasn't been hunted with, but is quite accurate. It feeds and fires the .22 WRF flawlessly as well. Both rounds--WMR and WRF--group around 1.5-2" at 50 yards with the issue open sights.

Makes a great companion piece to the Single Six Convertible and the Peacemaker .22/.22M.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Modoc ED wrote:
Hobie wrote:Not to nitpick but for those who don't know, the correct model would be 9422M...

"A couple of bricks"!!!!! A guy would be much better off buying at least 10-bricks. With ammo going up like it is and with it getting harder to find, it pays to stock up now while we can. Besides, I'm just waiting for the hammer to fall saying that loaded ammo, primers, and powder can't be shipped to individuals anymore because they are explosives and that lead or anything that contains lead (jacketed bullets and lead bullets) can't be shipped because they are a threat to the environment.

Robert Kennedy, Jr. has already been on Cavuto today spouting his/the greenies environmental babble about all things that endanger the environment.
If you've been reading my posts for the past year you'd see that I agree and have been doing just that. I buy by the case...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I currently have four or five .22WRM's, but only occasionally plink with the pistols.

The long guns are used for hunting - and I like it better than the LR in certain situations, like shooting at longer distances or larger animals (coons, foxes, 'yotes, etc)

"The .22 mag delivers somewhat of a 'kick' " ? ? ? :shock:

Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

10 years ago I purchased a 10/22 mag from a local gun shop for 50 bucks. After firing it the rifle would not eject shells now and again, and it would refuse to manually extract a live round from the clip to the chamber. I did some research, and bought a new extractor for 10 bucks, and put it in. The rifle now works flawlessly, and is extremely accurate with a fixed 6x Leupold with a target dot. Love the gun. I agree with Hobie...Buy shells now!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I love the .22 mag.

THe ammo is definitely more expensive than regular .22 ammo, though which is a bummer - seems like its more expensive than the .22lr than it should be though to me.

I read an article by Paco declaring the .22mag as the perfect survival type rifle - with proper placement you can kill anything with it, yet its not overkill on small animals and the ammo is small enough that you can carry enough for extended periods of time.

oh yeah, and its fun to plink with also.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I do some plinking with .22Mag. I have two Single Sixes and a Winchester 9422M but my favorite thing to do is roam around the hills and hunt Jack rabbits and plink at targets of opportunity. The .22Mag has just enough power to pull off shots that normally would be for a small caliber center fire round and the best part of it all, no reloading or brass chasing to worry about :D
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

I have a Lipseys Special Ruger SS Single Six 4 5/8" barreled 22/22mag that I've been training my grandsons to shoot. Since CA passed the no lead ammo in the condor zone I've been acquiring "nontoxic" :>) bullets & ammo.CCI 22 MAG Lead Free is the only source so far for 22 mag ammo.Has anyone tried this?