Getting rid of Crossbolt on Big Bore 94; need advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Getting rid of Crossbolt on Big Bore 94; need advice

Post by C. Cash »

I bought my BB94 new in 1992, the first year of the dreaded cross bolt. I hated it up until Tycer changed out the rebounding hammer/trigger setup, which effectively renders the safety non-functional and gives you a much better trigger. Since the crossbolt is now non-functional , I feel a moral obligation to replace it with something that covers the holes on both sides. I just don't want anyone to pick up the gun after I'm gone and think the the safety performs any function for them, as the half cock is now the "safety".

I know Salvo has machined some plugs for standard 94's here and I could probably ask him, but the Big Bore seem to have the beefier sides and I reckon the plug for the Big Bore has to be bigger and or longer. So, has anyone measured one and made one up? If not, how do I get a measurement for the plug....is there any type of casting material that I could use that wouldn't hurt the finish of the gun to where I could get some measurements? The interior of the hole on the right side is like a rounded bowl and I just don't know how else one could get the measurements for that side of the plug. Any thoughts, suggestions, etc would be appreciated.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Getting rid of Crossbolt on Big Bore 94; need advice

Post by Tycer »

I used knead type epoxy. I waxed the metal before using it. I threaded the left side and used the epoxy to adhere a cartridge head on the right. The epoxy smished enough on the inside-right to secure the case head. The left side plug actualy slide in when the aperture gets mashed on. It's a very tight fit, but not adhered.

Someone else here made a shaft of the proper diameter and threaded the detent access hole and used a hex screw to retain the shaft. Much more perfessional than my duct tape/superglue/epoxy fix.

I've hunted, shot and cleaned this a bunch since doing the fix.

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks Tycer! I have always liked your setup on your 360DW...has a good bit of class. This one no longer wears the Williams FP for the time being...have an AO ghost ring setup on it now, so probably looking for something that threads on the inside of the gun and not on the spare apeture(there are threads for whatever holds the crossbolt on the left side of the reciever...the small hole side correct?). Scott threaded his plug to stay in If I recall correctly but not sure how all that works. I guess I need to review my crossbolt anatomy to understand what all is involved here. I have never had the crossbolt off of this gun and have only fooled with the innards of pre crossbolt 94's. Thanks a bunch for your help. I will be off the computer for bit so sorry if I am slow in replying to posts.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Tycer wrote:I used knead type epoxy. I waxed the metal before using it. I threaded the left side and used the epoxy to adhere a cartridge head on the right. The epoxy smished enough on the inside-right to secure the case head. The left side plug actualy slide in when the aperture gets mashed on. It's a very tight fit, but not adhered.

Someone else here made a shaft of the proper diameter and threaded the detent access hole and used a hex screw to retain the shaft. Much more perfessional than my duct tape/superglue/epoxy fix.

I've hunted, shot and cleaned this a bunch since doing the fix.

Very nice! I may hit you up for some advice when my .444 XTR gets here. One thing is for sure, it WILL NOT have a crossbolt safety on it for long.

Does the big bore receiver take a different Williams sight than the standard 94 (I have one of those).
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Does the big bore receiver take a different Williams sight than the standard 94 (I have one of those).]

Yep..............IF you want to mount it in the issue D/T holes, i.e.
The side-mount peep for a BB94 is machined differently, to allow for the thicker rear section of the receiver wall.
I suppose you could always swiss-cheese the receiver of your rifle, to save a few bucks on the proper peep, and mount the peep you have further forward - but I sure wouldn't do it to a rifle who's value grows daily.

Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Pete44ru wrote:[Does the big bore receiver take a different Williams sight than the standard 94 (I have one of those).]

Yep..............IF you want to mount it in the issue D/T holes, i.e.
The side-mount peep for a BB94 is machined differently, to allow for the thicker rear section of the receiver wall.
I suppose you could always swiss-cheese the receiver of your rifle, to save a few bucks on the proper peep, and mount the peep you have further forward - but I sure wouldn't do it to a rifle who's value grows daily.
A main rule is to always file the cheapest part if possible. It would be makable to adapt the base of the peep, as the only difference should be the bigger hump of the BigBore compared to the standard 94. You just need to file, grind or machine enough away from the base. Hole spacing should be the same. But - check before filing!

But why not sell the peep and getting another for the BB?

Old Sh.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I don't know how much space would be behind the brass case head .But could you epoxy a nut to the backside of it and use a flared head bolt from the left side and screw into the back of the case head. You have to mark and grind the bolt down where it might interfere with the hammer. But lock tight on the threads should hold it.

Or you could thread the primer pocket and thread into that . Just polish the end of the bolt and it would look like a silver primer or use a brass bolt.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

BenT wrote:I don't know how much space would be behind the brass case head .But could you epoxy a nut to the backside of it and use a flared head bolt from the left side and screw into the back of the case head. You have to mark and grind the bolt down where it might interfere with the hammer. But lock tight on the threads should hold it.

Or you could thread the primer pocket and thread into that . Just polish the end of the bolt and it would look like a silver primer or use a brass bolt.
That is indeed a good idea Ben T, and something I could do myself vs. having to have someone turn one on a lathe. I think I will proceed in this direction and see what I can come up with. Also, why not just thread the end of the existing crossbolt for the cartridge head? That way, all the work is done for you....that perhaps makes more sense with my limited machining skills. Many thanks!
Last edited by C. Cash on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You have a buyer for the FP-94/36 if you need to sell it to get the Big-Bore FP... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Hobie wrote:You have a buyer for the FP-94/36 if you need to sell it to get the Big-Bore FP... :wink:
Thanks, It's just one of many things I have for "someday".