OT-43 Mauser from 348 Win?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

OT-43 Mauser from 348 Win?

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Trying to put together an old M71/84(Mauser) made in 1885 but having a bit of trouble accumulating loading material. Dies are no problem, Midway has them. The main issue seems to be the inhibitive cost of brass. Bertram has 'em at around $ 50 for 20, and Buffalo Arms has reformed .348 Win for $2.43 each. Well, I have about 500 brand new .348 brass sitting in bucket in my reloading room and figure that I can do what Buffalo Arms did, my question is, how do I stretch the brass to meet the .120" longer case size and the .100" larger case mouth? I'll also have to shrink the base diameter a bit and take .025" off the rim to equal the 11.15 X 60 cartridge dimensions. Any ideas?

Anybody here ever resize .45-70 cast bullets from .459 to .446? Will a .446 Lee sizer scrape enough off or will it stretch the bullet?
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT-43 Mauser from 348 Win?

Post by flatnose »

Reducing the base size will be the most difficult thing. A couple of thou wont be too bad, but more will be tough. You will have to live with the length.....seat the bullet out. Reduce rim size with a lathe or use a file and drill setup. Bullets can be had here..http://www.customcastbullets.com/
You can fire form the case to expand the neck, or obtain an expander die.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I read somewhere that the base diameter is swaged down..Don't know how much that tool costs, or if available...I've read that case stretching is done in an operation not unlike they use to spin an aluminum bowl... You'd probably have to stretch more than .120" because the case will shorten up after fire forming the shoulder...
However..http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,358.htm these cases don't quite split the difference in cost.. but will be far less work IF the rim thickness doesn't require a lot of work.. Other wise it looks like they'd need to be simply trimmed to length and be formed in 43 Mauser dies .....You could buy one case and find out or mebbe someone here has a case they can measure..
Here's the Dimensions:
Base Dia. 517"
Rim Dia. .625"
Case length 2.63"
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Ben, that just might be doable. Cut .030 out of the rim and .30 out of the length. Same mouth size and same bullets....cool!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Write and ask Cowboy Tutt. IIRC, you pretty much need to do what the .45-75 shooters do, neck it up by degrees, run it through full-length sizing die, trim to length, anneal.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

:wink:
I've modified shell holders by cutting the neck off the part that locks in the press so I can prime with the Lee Hand Primer..Dremel cut off wheel...RCBS shell holders too can be modified the same way and work fine unless I don't know about a change they've made from their original design.. Good luck
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

How about .45-90WCF.....608" rim, 2.400" OAL, .506" base. Turn .007" off the rim (.014" total) and trim to 2.376", only concern is fire forming the base to .515" and the shoulder diameter to .510", what do you think? Brass is relatively in expensive.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Can't help you but your problem was my problem a couple of months ago concerning a Remington RB in 43 Spanish. Keep in mind I reload for over 60 calibers and the aggravation that came with the 43 Spanish was not worth it. I figured that after spending big bucks on brass, dies, bullet mould, sizing die, whatever and the gun did not shoot, I was going to be PO-ed, as 43 Spanish junk is hard to get rid of. Your caliber mimics mine--Its not worth the aggravation.

Right now, the rifle is sitting off to the side--I'm either gonna move it or reline it to 40-65----------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Other than having the case not expand much in the web area next to the rim you should be fine... I'd fireform with Cream of Wheat BEFORE trimming to length because the case will have shortened after being blown out to a bigger OD
WIL TERRY
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

From "The handloaders manual of cartridge conversions" States to start with 11mm "A" base brass . Anneal case and form in full length sizer with expander removed. Trim to length and full length size again. The 11mm A base brass is in the appendix of available cartridges . I've never heard of it.

Dimensions of 11mm A base manufacturer is B.E.L.L.

Rimmed straight / Base .516 / rim .576 / length 2.662

Good Luck !