Lyman 66MC vs. Williams5D-39A for Marlin 39a

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RPCVYemen
Levergunner

Lyman 66MC vs. Williams5D-39A for Marlin 39a

Post by RPCVYemen »

I have a Marlin 39a that has the drilled and tapped receiver that can take a peep sight. I am looking at the Lyman 66MC and the Williams 5D-39A. Anyone have any comments on either?

Mike
Hobie

Re: Lyman 66MC vs. Williams5D-39A for Marlin 39a

Post by Hobie »

Both good. I'd get the Williams FP.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'd go with the Lyman 66MC or the Williams FP. I don't think the 5D version is worth the effort. I know others like it, but I want the repeatability of the micro click adjustments the FP has.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

J Miller wrote:I'd go with the Lyman 66MC or the Williams FP. I don't think the 5D version is worth the effort. I know others like it, but I want the repeatability of the micro click adjustments the FP has.

Joe

Joe KNOWS!!! :D

I bought the 5d for my Marlin 39 first because it was cheap. Hated it. I think it's still in my parts box.

Ended up ordering the Lyman 66 and love it. Turns a great little rifle into a FANTASTIC one.
Like shooting a laser!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

Personally I would go with the Willimas FP. The 5D works, but it a pain to sight in. I will not buy any more current production Lyman receiver sights. Two of the last three I bought for my Marlin 336 rifles were sorely lacking in quality. Even with the screws tightened down both were wobbly. The older ones are great, but it is obvious that Lyman's quality control has slipped in recent years. I have owned a pile of the Williams FP sights and have never had a bad one.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I'v used both & found the Williams to be more solid. I never found the Lyman to be inacurate but its hard to have confidence in it when it moves under finger pressure.

of the Williams offerings the FP is easier to deal with but I havent found the 5D's to be too difficult & once set they dont move.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

If you can find an older "all steel" 66MC or a Redfield you'll be real happy. If this is just for "point N shoot" hunting or plinking, then either the Williams or Lyman will work once you set it up. If you are going to be shooting silhouette the set screws and main locking screw, on the Williams, will be a little cumbersome.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.