Texas Gun Laws for the April hunt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Texas Gun Laws for the April hunt

Post by J Miller »

I've been invited to the April hunt in Texas by 86er. I'm still not sure what I'm going to bring gun wise. I have had no outdoor range time do to the weather and other interferences. I want to bring a short gun to hunt with, if allowed or carry with me also if allowed, in addition to my lever gun.

I know little about Texas gun laws. Could one of you Texas residents advise me of this?

Joe ...... I know 86er time is getting short.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Texas Gun Laws for the April hunt

Post by rangerider7 »

"That'll Be The Day"
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

86er will pipe in, but you can hunt with whatever you want. They can get you close sometimes and other times you'll need the lever. It's a real good crew down there.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

You can keep a handgun in your car unloaded and locked in a box. You can carry one on the ranch or private property but not in public. You don't need one for hunting purposes but you are welcome to bring one anyway. Rifle should be unloaded in a case inside a vehicle (complies with game laws and firearms statutes).
Last edited by 86er on Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Premo
Levergunner

Post by Premo »

See link for Texas firearm regulations.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/S ... .htm#46.02

FP
DavidF
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidF »

I don't think it can be in plain view even if it is unloaded. It has to be concealed under any circumstances.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" Samuel Adams
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Just hire a Mexican to carry it for ya.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Travis Morgan wrote:Just hire a Mexican to carry it for ya.
Hey, this is supposed to be a Texas Lever Gun Safari. What's a Safari without a gun bearer????

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Joe, you might need a medical certification by your Doctor for insurance purposes, but if it's not in English, you're screwed.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BlaineG wrote:Joe, you might need a medical certification by your Doctor for insurance purposes, but if it's not in English, you're screwed.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: How bout if I get it in Eeengrish? Would that be close enough :?: :D
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

J Miller,

That's the Asian stereotype. Hispanic would be eengleesh, senor.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Travis Morgan wrote:J Miller,

That's the Asian stereotype. Hispanic would be eengleesh, senor.
This is true. The last Dr I saw was from someplace over yonder. The previous ones were from Cuba or Mexico.

Joe
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I had an ER Dr. get upset at me for asking for a translator. I was trying, and couldn't understand him at all. He actually accused me of being racist!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Please do read the LATEST Texas gun laws; there have been major changes in the last few legislative sessions!

I had typed a long breakdown, from a peace officer's viewpoint, but deleted it all.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rexster wrote:Please do read the LATEST Texas gun laws; there have been major changes in the last few legislative sessions!

I had typed a long breakdown, from a peace officer's viewpoint, but deleted it all.
Rexter,

From a NON LEO's view point I will do everything in my power to avoid contact with LEO's in general. No insults intended, but on duty LEO's are never there to help, only to ticket, cite, and arrest.

Having said that if you have anything that you think I should know by all means PM or email me. I'm just a mouse click away.

Oh, since I live in the freedom challenged state of IL, I seriously doubt the Texas gun laws would be any problems at all.

Joe
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Well, keep in mind I am a pro-2nd Amendment LEO, and a believer in expanding the rights of the private citizen to carry defensive weapons. :) A major change to Texas weapons laws lately, is that is has generally become OK to carry handguns inside the vehicle one is operating, or that you own, with no need to prove you are "traveling," instead of just going about your daily business. Anti-gun cops and prosecutors, however, can still get you if you neglect to conceal the handgun, or if you are a passenger inside a vehicle you do not own.

The old "traveler's defense" to prosecution for carrying an otherwise illegal handgun inside a vehicle did not require the handgun to be concealed, and indeed, the common practice was to leave it visible. THERE ARE STILL POLICE OFFICERS WHO SEEM TO HAVE FAILED TO NOTICE THIS 180-DEGREE CHANGE IN THE LAW! I typed in all caps because, yes, I intended to shout, both in frustrated consternation and as a warning.

Importantly, the letter of the law, in the Penal Code, does not specify any difference between loaded and unloaded firearms. One is as legal as the other. Note that I said Penal Code. I don't enforce fish and game laws, which may be more specific.

Rifles and shotguns are generally OK to carry just about everywhere, loaded or unloaded, concealed or not, provided you do not handle the weapon in a way that can reasonably be calculated to alarm folks. Game laws can be more specific, so if you are doing anything resembling hunting, follow the game laws.

Once on the ranch, or any other hunting area, you are engaged in a sport in which firearms are used, so handgun carry is OK, concealed or otherwise. Just follow the rules of the property owner/manager, and you are fine.

FWIW, if you rent a car at the airport, you "own" it for the time specified in the rental agreement, the way I see it. I cannot guarantee every LEO or prosecutor will agree, when it comes to packing heat in the rental vehicle you "own." So, if you want to pack in your rental car, be the one driving it, so you are covered as the operator of the vehicle.

Really, most rural Texas lawmen are very supportive of the right to bear arms; it's a very small portion of the urbanized lawmen, particularly the ones who grew up in Kaliforniastan, IL, or the Northeast USA, that can cause you grief.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rexster,

I've read much of if not all of what you just said over the last couple years. But reading it and doing it is two different things.

Here in IL there is no legal way to carry a loaded gun in your vehicle or on your person. There just isn't. Some will try to opine the loop hole of carrying it in a fanny pack with the magazine right close, but those folks are just asking for a felony charge.
The only safe, legal way to carry a handgun or rifle for that matter in your vehicle here in IL is unloaded, secured in a firearms carrying case or box.

So, since I am not one to push the envelope, that is how I would carry one traveling to and from the hunt area. I simply wanted to get a handle on weather or not this was legal. I see it is. Since I drive a Nissan Pathfinder with no separated storage area I'd just pack 'em in locked cases in the back under a blanket so they don't attract attention. Unloaded, secured, out of my reach. That should do it.

Joe