Anyone have any favorite .32-20 recipes?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Anyone have any favorite .32-20 recipes?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm in the process of purchasing a .32-20 Armi San Marco "Hartford Model" SAA-clone from Thunder50 here on the forum. My hope is that I will eventually find a nice lever to go with it. I do not have this caliber, and though the last thing I really needed was another one to feed, I couldn't resist. Does anyone have any favorite recipes they like in their .32-20's? Please also list the components you like best!

Thanks! :D
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone have any favorite .32-20 recipes?

Post by jdad »

I have a Colt SAA and it definitely needs and likes a light 32-20 load. 3.9gr of HP-38 under a LaserCast 115gr. Cheap and accurate. Starline brass has been trouble free in all my 32-20 revolvers and rifles.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

I use Unique in my level 1 and 2 loads and IMR4227 in my lever 3 loads . This paste is all the infor you will ever need for a 32-20 .
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3220wcf.htm]

Image..Image
Image......Image
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Back before I got stupid and traded my 1913 made model p off, :oops: I shot mostly 5 grs of unique with 100 gr cast bullets, in peters, remington, winchester and western cases.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

There is a listing of various loads at the end of the article:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/1894cl.htm
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Lyman 115 gr. PB bullet and 7 gr. 2400. Very accurate SWEET load. :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Oh you're gonna fall in love with the caliber! I sure like them, and I'm afraid I can't even tell you how many I presently own, but more than any other centerfire for sure!
I also like Unique, and use a 115 gr. cast lead with 4.0 grs. of Unique. Pretty nice little load that works well in both my rifles and pistols chambered for .32-20.-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I finally got .32-20-ized last year with modern guns. I'd had my great grandfather's original 1889, and although it is nice to shoot, the modern ones lack nothing. The lighter weight of the new ones is nice.

The .32-20 seems like what a .38 special SHOULD be.

I've shot mostly factory (wimpy) loads due to the older gun, but with better weather I hope to reload some. I think the only reloading stuff I have for it is an old Lyman 310 tool, but that will change soon... 8) Looks like the 2400 loads you guys listed will be flexible.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If I had a well made 32wcf now I'ld sure like to play with Hogdons lilgun in it. I believe that'ld just about be the ticket in a rifle,maybe a bit slow for a short barrelled pistola.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE BEST PROPELLENT I HAVE FOUND FOR THE HARTFORD 7 1/2" SAA 32-20 AND THE BROWNING 53 32-20 IS HODGDON'S LIL'GUN. BOTH GUNS SHOOT THE SAME LOADS JUST FINE. OUT OF THE RIFLE THE 115gr LFN BULLETS ARE RIGHT AT 1495fps AND WILL GROUP RIGHT AROUND IN INCH TO AN INCH AND AN EIGHTH AT 50 YARDS DEAD ON THE SIGHTS [ I HAVE NEVER TOUCHED THE SIGHTS !! ] . WITH THE 53 I HAVE NEVER MISSED A SHOT WITH IT OUT TO 75 YARDS AND EVERYTHING FELL OVER DEADER'N' CANNED TUNA. JUST AN AMAZING LITTLE RIFLE. IT IS A RELOADABLE 30 CALIBER 22MAG IN CASE ANYONE WANTS A DESCRIPTION OF IT'S CAPABILITIES.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

[oops... I stuttered - too much caffeine? :oops:]
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

http://ammoguide.com/ has lots of .32-20 recipes for lead and jacketed, rifle and pistol, and vintage or 'modern'...