Would the early Marlin 1894 be safe with .....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Would the early Marlin 1894 be safe with .....

Post by J Miller »

Not enough room in the subject line:

Would the Marlin 1894 of the late 1800s early 1900s be safe to use with the High Velocity Express 44-40 loads Winchester introduced after the turn of the century?

I know there are warnings on the packages not to use this ammo in 1873s, Colt SAAs and other revolvers, but ... what about the Marlin 1894s of that era?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Would the early Marlin 1894 be safe with .....

Post by airedaleman »

They did just fine with them. Fools insisted on not reading the box copy...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Only thing I'd hesitate to do is shoot jacketed in a early blackpowder (pre 1896) barreled 1894 Marlin. The steel was a bit softer and will handle the pressures fine, but will wear prematurely. I've got a 1889 Marlin that I relined, so it's got a TJ's hammer forged liner and will easily handle hi speed ammo and jacketed bullets.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote:I've got a 1889 Marlin that I relined, so it's got a TJ's hammer forged liner and will easily handle hi speed ammo and jacketed bullets.
I have a pitted-out .32-20 I intend to shoot for accuracy this spring, but if it isn't a decent shooter I thought about a liner; who did you have do the job? How much did it cost? I'd hate to spend huge amounts on the gun, yet it is one I really like, and I hate to turn it into nothing but a wall-hanger...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote:
I have a pitted-out .32-20 I intend to shoot for accuracy this spring, but if it isn't a decent shooter I thought about a liner; who did you have do the job? How much did it cost?
Doc,
Craig Rittenhouse of Tamaqua, Pa. has done three guns for me. Work is top notch as you cannot tell from the muzzle end, its headspaced perfectly and are all accurate. He is an excellent gunsmith, plus a good friend of mine as we shoot & compete together. I don't have his contact info handy, but just "Google" Craig Rittenhouse, Tamaqua, Pa. The last job he charged me about $300. Tell him Sixgun sent 'ya--------Sixgun

Yea Joe, The antique Marlin will handle 'em just fine. I have 4000+ out of an 1889 and she's still tight. Most all of the 4K is with cast and around 1400. Just use common sense--cast and stay under 1600, preferable around 1400-------Remember, the same pressures are reached in a cast bullet that goes approx. 200 fps faster than a jacketed.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD