Why don't .35 cal rifle historically do very well in the US?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Why don't .35 cal rifle historically do very well in the US?

Post by C. Cash »

The bench can weary anybody, but as long as one sits up or stands up when shooting(lately I've been shooting off of home made cross sticks)...recoil becomes almost a non factor. My 356 Win. is a pussycat when off the bench, and a beast on it, especially if the bench is low. Get off the bench! :wink:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Post by afish4570 »

If the handloaders use the newly available 35 cal. Leveroution.....bullets and they get good press, maybe the 356 will go from cult status to a production again???? The cast bullet is right at home in the 356, I use the RCBS 200gr FP and am wondering bout the Lee mold discontinued, TL359 190RF, anyone using this one?afish4570 :? :?
afish4570
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

A guy I know has a .35 Rem Pump as both his "go to" (for most stuff) and his "back up" rifle (for when he's carrying his Long Range bolts).

Took me exactly 2 rounds to fighre out how to be Minute of Deer at 100yds with it.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Most of my .356 Win loads generate about 2600 foot pounds of kinetic energy give or take. That's about like a .308 Winchester and I'd say it kicks about the same. Gotta consider the launching pad though - my 336 Marlin only weighs 7 1/2 lbs with the scope in place.... I have a lace-on pad on it and it is very comfortable to shoot IMHO.

I start to dislike recoil at about my .338 Win Mag or my 45-70 Marlin hot loaded. Those both get your attention - not too bad shooting off of your feet but on the bench... another story.

As for 35's - I could easily do everything big game hunting-wise that I will every want to with a 35 Whelen.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

6pt-sika wrote:
Tycer wrote:That 350 sure is a rocket.
A 350 REM MAG in all honesty is nothing more then a short action 35 Whelen . And with the short barrels they used on the 600's , 660's and 673's a bit of velocity loss might even make it less then a 22" barreled Whelen .:!:
Well, y'know, I've fired a Whelen using a 200grn bullet moving at just about 2800fps + out of a 24" barrel. I've also fired 350 rm using a 200grn bullet moving at just about 3000fps +/- out of a 22" barrel and you know what? They both "sure are rockets"

So I guess I disagree with the casual statement "A 350 Rem Mag, in all honesty, is nothing more then a short action 35 Whelen..." It shows a lack of respect to both fine cartridges.

Now if you'ed have said, 350 RM is nothing more than a 444 marlin with a pointy bullet, I would agree completely.
JP_TX
444 Marlin
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Post by afish4570 »

I could only dream of Levergun in 35 Whelen......My 356 Win is an acceptable compromise and due to the rimmed design is great for a cast bullet gun.afish4570 :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
afish4570
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JP_TX wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
Tycer wrote:That 350 sure is a rocket.
A 350 REM MAG in all honesty is nothing more then a short action 35 Whelen . And with the short barrels they used on the 600's , 660's and 673's a bit of velocity loss might even make it less then a 22" barreled Whelen .:!:
Well, y'know, I've fired a Whelen using a 200grn bullet moving at just about 2800fps + out of a 24" barrel. I've also fired 350 rm using a 200grn bullet moving at just about 3000fps +/- out of a 22" barrel and you know what? They both "sure are rockets"

So I guess I disagree with the casual statement "A 350 Rem Mag, in all honesty, is nothing more then a short action 35 Whelen..." It shows a lack of respect to both fine cartridges.

Now if you'ed have said, 350 RM is nothing more than a 444 marlin with a pointy bullet, I would agree completely.
I'll stand by my statement !
I've owned both and shot both quite a bit .

If you want a 35 cal rocket get a "358 STA" or a "350 Ultra Mag" .

Now as to a lack of respect you can take my words as you see fit ! My total "lack of respect" is for the 358 WIN . In reality I actually like the Whelen and am okay with the 350 , but then if you had read ALL my earlier posts you might have seen that !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

ok, here is what Hobie said about the 32 special that I was commenting on:
All the old-timers knew the .32 was more gun but most couldn't handle it and shot the .30 WCF instead. Honest.
So my comment was that if this was the prevailing opinion, no wonder the 35 didn't catch on.

If you want the full context, here's the thread (that was a very good thread in my opinion)

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 32+special
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

I've always had the feeling that the .348 mod 71 was about the best allaround brush gun, even if it is a few thou short of .350... its an old cal almost forgoten, but only a lota money would get mine.....