OT Intl Space station

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

OT Intl Space station

Post by Barcelona Rick »

I know that I'm abit of a kid at heart...but I just came in from watching the space station fly over NE Texas. It was visable for about 4 + minutes. My 5 year old and 2 1/2 year old grandchildren also got to see it. I remember taking my son (now 25 years old) outside to watch the shuttle fly over and he and I watched the trails of the shuttle that blew up over Texas. Tonight it was cold but very clear....so now I'm in front of the Dearborn heater reading my favorite site. GOD bless you all...

jumbeaux
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT Intl Space station

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very, very cool! Did you use binoculars or a telescope, or just the naked eye?

I remember camping up in Canada almost 25 years ago. No light pollution at all. I was amazed at how many stars there are in the sky, and how many satellites and meteors one could see on a clear night! :D
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

It was very bright and I viewed with the naked eye and with some old B/L Navy binos. The local news mentioned where to look so out came my GPS (my old compass) and sure enough there it was. The grandchildren picked it up faster than I did...old eyes....

jumbeaux
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I remember in the early sixties going out with my mom to watch for 'shooting stars' and just to look at the night sky and relax and talk philosophy, science, or whatever. Occasionally if the sun's early night-time angle was just right, we'd see a satellite cross the sky, amazingly quickly.

At the time, novelists were writing how they'd be used to create a surveillance network to such a degree that you couldn't do anything or go anywhere without Big Brother knowing. We figured they were exaggerating!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: At the time, novelists were writing how they'd be used to create a surveillance network to such a degree that you couldn't do anything or go anywhere without Big Brother knowing. We figured they were exaggerating!
And they were. Oh, you have a bit of mustard on your shirt. No, the other side... :wink:
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I can remember watching the shuttle docked to the Mir space station pass overhead a few years back.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Watched satellites fly over to and fro one really dark starry night out in the Fiji Islands..They really stood out....
I saw and heard Sputnik back in the day...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I've seen the space station, as well, and remember very well in summer of 1961 watching the Echo satellite pass over. Several nighttime church-league softball games had play suspended that summer so fans and players alike could watch it sail over.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Something my BIL and I like to do is overnight on the water out in the Pacific. Get out 40 or 50 miles, and you have a view of the night sky you can't get anywhere on land in SoCal anymore. It's kinda soul stirring. Out there, you can see more satalites than you could imagine. Even though they are just pin arrogant idiots of light, you know they are man made as they fly across the heavens.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote:Get out 40 or 50 miles, and you have a view of the night sky you can't get anywhere on land in SoCal anymore. It's kinda soul stirring.
Us landlubbers gotta do it in a tent or canoe or just 'walking out' - but what I wonder is - how do people get that same sense of timelessness and awe if they live in a city? Bang their head on the wall the pain numbs them? I did it for over a decade, and I don't know how I survived the UNREALITY of urban life. What's sick is when it starts to seem like THAT is reality.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IIRC the web site to go to is drsky.com where you can see what might be passing over you at any given time.

I also got to go watch the last shuttle taking off. The roads were packed since it was going to be the last scheduled night launch.

It was still nothing like watching one of the old Saturn V's take off.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I watch the satellites most every evening when the moon is not up. In the first couple of hours after sundown, I can usually count five or six different satellites criss-crossing in the sky. Try this link for tracking the Shuttle and the ISS. http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/home/index.html You can click on your state and nearest city to see when the ISS/Shuttle will be visible.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Used to see lots of good stuff floating around Lake Erie at night as a kid.

Even cought the Northern Lights a couple times. That was Cool!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I remember Echo. It was still light outside, and the thing was huge! Sputnik and several others that I can't remember come to mind....A great and wonderous time to be a kid!! Nothing seems to amaze me anymore, except maybe the extent of manifest evil in the world.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Yep. Echo was nothing but a giant Mylar balloon, just like the helium-filled ones you can by at a supermarket. A communications satellite thta was nothing but a reflector. Amazing where technology has gone!