Salt On A Rabbit's Tail

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Salt On A Rabbit's Tail

Post by Blaine »

I must be old. My uncle and grandfather always told me if you wanted to catch a rabbit, all you had to do was sprinkle salt on his tail and then he couldn't get away. Somewhere, there are slides showing me, prolly four or five, low crawling about the yard sneaking up on a rabbit. Anyway, no one seems to have heard about this method of rabbit snatching.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Salt On A Rabbit's Tail

Post by J Miller »

When I was a kid I was told to put salt on a birds tail so it wouldn't get away. I never could get the bird to stay put while I salted his tail.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I was told that too when I was a kid growing up in Birmingham, England. My Ma was always full of useful advice. :?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I don't know about that, but it makes a good title for a bluegrass song.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

What the,,,,,, :lol:
I find my 9422 far easier :shock:
Am I missing something here.

Nath :roll:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

>My Ma was always full of useful advice.

I recall hearing a fellow making a speech say, "I learned all I know at my mother's knee." He paused, then added, "It was heavily tattooed."
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Well I was told as child(all of 5 years old) to put salt on a garden slug and the slug won't move ever again.I am hear to tell y'all it does work after all these years :D Maybe slugs are easier because of sluggishness :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :?: (FYI my mother was ethnic ..German)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I was told this too about birds. They always left off the part that if you were close enough to salt the tail you could catch the bird anyway. I have caught a few rabbits by hand, not that I'm all that sneaky or fast, they were very young rabbits trying to hide in the strawberry patch.
UNITE
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Wow, a long time ago I read a book called "How I wanted to put salt on a rabbits tail and other outdoor stories". It was translated from Russian and was quite interesting about hunting and outdoor pursuits in Russia in the late 1800's.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Can't remember why but when I was a kid, myself and all the guys in the neighborhood always carried some salt in our pockets. Maybe it was to catch rabbits. :)
ED
Yer never too old
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Jaguarundi wrote:Well I was told as child(all of 5 years old) to put salt on a garden slug and the slug won't move ever again.I am hear to tell y'all it does work after all these years :D Maybe slugs are easier because of sluggishness :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :?: (FYI my mother was ethnic ..German)
My Father was German too. You must have the same problems as me then as in can't take or give out any BS and like straight talk :wink:

Salt on a rabbits tail, bloody ell, shoot the bloody thing first n' then salt it before it's cooked :lol:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

that little task kept me out of moms hair until I was 9.... My 8 YO dont fall for it a bit

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Well, if ya got plenty of time on your hands, you can put salt on a snail/slug and watch it melt.
ED
Yer never too old
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

My Grandfather was also full of useful bits of information and stories....which subsequently got me time in the corner in elementary school for repeating :roll:

Ed
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nath,Mother was also a Electronic Engineer for the DOD...straight talk and no BS :wink: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Do you think that possibly the "salt on the tail" stories were intended to keep children busy doing something other than bugging mom and dad? :lol:
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum