OT-help w/savage 340

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

OT-help w/savage 340

Post by pokey »

well my son [15 y/o] doesn't share my affection for levers, he likes the lever on the side and a funny carry handle on top.
so i bought him an old savage 340 in 30-30 so at least we can use the same ammo.
well he is having intermittent light primer strikes,reloads or factory.
when he has a ftf we try a second time, if still no bang i shove it in my old winnie and boom.
now these are great drills to see if he is flinching but it's getting annoying, i don't want him to get to where he doesn't
want to shoot because of this rifle.
so, i'm going to strip the bolt thinking it may be gunked up inside only i can't figure out how to get it apart anybody got
any insight? i have an exploded view of a similar bolt but similar and same are not close enough.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-help w/savage 340

Post by BigSky56 »

A good clean job solves alot of problems, check the firing pin for length if its ok then check the hammer spring as they can take a set and not have enough punch ,to solve the hammer spring set problem store it in a fire condition. danny
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

According to Gun Digest Assembly /disassembly part 4 centerfires rifles. Uncock the bolt after removal. Drift out the pin and remove handle. Now there is alot more that I can't explain. I would siggest getting the manual . It's a great reference and it's only around $15 from Midway and covers around 60 different models of rifles.

You might want to also check the trigger assy , I had this problem with mine. The metal sides of the trigger assy can get bent. It was binding the trigger components. Make sure that the lug that releases the firing pin is moving all the way out of the way and grease it. I had to stick a screwdriver blade into mine to spread them a part a little.

Good Luck !
flb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flb »

I've got the 340 too and it is about the most accurate rifle I have. I glass bedded the action, loosened up the tension on the front barrel band screw, competely stripped it and degunked it. I shoot the 130gr flat point Speers on top of H-335, 3/4" to 1" wth no problem. Think is you follow the replys so far you will be fine, they are ugly, cheap and shoot like crazy. Fun to shoot next to guys with the $1,000 customs and match them group for group.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

thanks guys, ben i ordered up the disassembly book, will give it another try.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have that in my exploded firearms drawing book, Now how to get it to you?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

While you're waiting you could soak the bolt over night in some kind of cleaner or Kerosene and blow it out with an air hose.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.