Loading a 32-20 for Cowboy Silhouette

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Win9410
Levergunner

Loading a 32-20 for Cowboy Silhouette

Post by Win9410 »

My wife's uncle presented me with a vintage Winchester 92 in 32-20 this past September and I plan to shoot it for Cowboy Silhouette. I purchased a Marbles Tang Sight for it and need a height for a Lyman Globe Sight. Additionally, I plan to load for it and was hoping to gleen some information from you folks as to loads and any other information you can pass on to me in regard to selecting a load for it that will work in pistol cartridge. A number of the people who shoot the 32-20 at our club use Laser-Cast bullets. I don't cast myself and want to make the process as easy as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. The barrel is 24"
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Loading a 32-20 for Cowboy Silhouette

Post by Shasta »

Your choice of a Marble's tang sight with a Lyman 17A globe front is a good one for cowboy silhouette shooting with your 32-20. That is exactly what I am using on my Cimarron 1873 in 32-20. I managed to make AAA class last year and just a couple weeks ago shot my first Master score (53x60). I would recommend the Lyman 17AHB sight, which is the lowest one. I would also suggest trying the Lee Shaver sight inserts. They are much finer than the inserts provided with the sight. Buffalo Arms Company is a great source for just about anything you might need.

I will tell you the load I have worked up for my rifle, but with this disclaimer; bear in mind my rifle is not an original but a modern-made reproduction. My load is not claimed to be safe in any other rifle. With that said, I cast my own 116 grain bullets using a Lyman 311008 mould. I size them at .312 using Javalina lube. This bullet is the standard plain base designed for the 32-20, and is possibly the one sold by LaserCast, although I don't know for sure. I use 10 grains of IMR 4227 powder with a Winchester Small Pistol primer. Velocity averages 1,380 fps from a 24" barrel.

Good Luck with your Winchester. It sounds like a nice one!

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shasta,

Congrats on the Master classification!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

The Lasercast shoot very well in my Marlin, I am using 15.5 gr AA2200.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Looks like you and I will be shooting at the same club. (possibly :D ) I do attend the silhouette Regionals & State Champs up your way. (Tiadoghton & McKean clubs)

Every 1892 Winchester in 32-20 that I have measured has been .311 or .312. Get some .312 cast and load 'em with 5 or 5.5 grains of Unique with a small pistol primer. Very economical to load for, so it gives you lots of ammo to practice with. Its a load I have been using for over 30 years in a dozen or so 32-20's. You might find a very, very slightly more accurate load using slower powders or jacketed bullets, but I'm a thrifty guy. When I shoot, I NEVER give a thought to expense. Try that with Speer jacketed bullets :wink:

Griff,
I'm a master too---master of nothin' :D ----------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Win9410 - Here is the Laser-Cast reloading manual page on 32-20's. Hope this helps. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wind on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

115gr Laser Cast, Starline Brass, Winchester WSP primer, 9.5gr 2400. Marlin 1894CL

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Win9410
Levergunner

Post by Win9410 »

Thank you to everyone for the input. Sixgun, I shoot at Tiadaghton every Thursday evening and spoke with you at the state shoot. I'm anxious to try the gun out and want the weather to moderate so I can practice a bit. Take care. Matt
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

need som info on cb sil, what distances and size of targets..
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

colo native wrote:need som info on cb sil, what distances and size of targets..
They're half the size of the Big Bore critters and half the distance, except for the chickens. 40,50, 75, &100m.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
cslcal
Levergunner

Post by cslcal »

Matt,

Ed and Judy, myself, and Clay are all using Unique. I use a 100 gr. Hornady XTP with 5.5 grs. of Unique. I am not into casting lead, but Ed loads his with the same powder charge with a 115 gr lead bullet. Ed passed that load on to me, and it shot so well I never tried anything else. In addition to being very accurate I have not had any ram knockdown problems either with this load.
It won't be long till we'll be back on the mountain shootin' steel. I am currently stuck up here in Boston, Ma. but this Sat. I am going to NH to shoot a SB cowboy match.
Al Foust
Win9410
Levergunner

Post by Win9410 »

Al, hope you're feeling well and will tear up the match in NH. I'm shooting some archery, but haven't broken a shot with the leverguns since the PA Shoot. I'm anxious to take a crack at the metal targets again and want to try the 32-20. Thanks to all for the information on the loadings. I have to get some brass and then I'll give it a shot.

Take care,
Matt
cslcal
Levergunner

Post by cslcal »

Matt,

I am feeling great. This is more like a vacation than a medical procedure. Back to the 32-20; when you buy brass Starline will be better than Win. or Rem.

Al
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Midway just got Starline brall back in. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=339240
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

cslcal wrote:Matt,

. Back to the 32-20; when you buy brass Starline will be better than Win. or Rem.

Al
What he said.