.357 with magnum pistol primers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

.357 with magnum pistol primers

Post by JNG »

I just got a Taraus 608 in .357 in a trade. I am thinking about getting into some pin shooting. The 8 shot 608 kind of evens the field with the autos that I will be shooting against. My question, in the Lazer-cast reloading book using 2400 (my powder of choice at this time) requires a magnum primer. The rifle does not, per the manual. I believe that they want the magnum primer for the handgun to charge all the powder. I called Laser-cast, nice lady answered, she had no clue. I've been loading .357 for a while and I have a slew of mag primers in small pistol. These are moderate loads to keep from leading. Would the spike in presser hurt the rifle? I don't think so, but I thought I would get thoughts from the brain trust. Thanks for reading this post.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: .357 with magnum pistol primers

Post by J Miller »

I have loaded the .357 Mag with 125gr jacketed to 173gr cast bullets and 2400 powder and have never 'needed' magnum primers. I use mostly Winchester SP primers, a tight neck tension, and good crimp. My ammo is consistent and clean.

There are so many variables that it's hard to tell why a given company uses or prefers one type of primer over another. Except for Speer manuals, they are all owned by the same parent co as CCI, so that's what they use.

If you are unfamiliar with that load, I'd suggest using the same components as the data did.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Re: .357 with magnum pistol primers

Post by Hobie »

Dittos what Joe said.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson