Must I ship muzzleloader to FFL?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Must I ship muzzleloader to FFL?

Post by Naphtali »

I have a LeMat percussion cap lock revolver at sale. I just received a note from an interested buyer who wrote that I must ship the revolver to an FFL holder, per USPS web site information.

While this may or may not be accurate for USPS, I am unaware of any regulation change that forces me to send it to an FFL holder rather than directly to the buyer -- unless the buyer's state or municipality prohibits direct shipping.

Can anyone help me out here?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Must I ship muzzleloader to FFL?

Post by marlinman93 »

Unless it's a regulation of his state, no FFL is required to ship ANY muzzleloader, regardless of age of the gun. As long as the recipient is 18 or older. USPS doesn't require this at all, and neither do any other shippers. I think the prospetive buyer is misreading the USPS rules, and not reading far enough to see ML arms are exempt from those rules.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

marlinman got it right in one!

There's a few states and cities that require it but no Fed regs.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

If you read the shipping data from CABELAS, it states Residents of Hawaii, Mass., ILL., Mich., NY, and NJ need to check their local laws before ordering. You don't tell us where the guy lives. I suggest you google state laws rather than take the word of someone on an internet blog. The Post Office, UPS or FEDEX I am sure could be helpful at keeping you out of jail as well.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Thanks, guys. I wish I knew why the man sent me that note.

I have no idea where his residence is. I just got the note from him as a question from the auction site.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I answered your question, over on the Ruger Forum - but after some consideration - why care ?

As long as YOU observe Federal law, and the laws of YOUR state, you are acting legally.

It's up to a buyer to act in accordance to both Fed Law and the laws of HIS state, whatever they may be.

After all, if it's going to be shipped to someone, what's the difference whether or not it's shipped directly to a buyer or his FFL ?

kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

Pete44ru wrote:I answered your question, over on the Ruger Forum - but after some consideration - why care ?

As long as YOU observe Federal law, and the laws of YOUR state, you are acting legally.

It's up to a buyer to act in accordance to both Fed Law and the laws of HIS state, whatever they may be.

After all, if it's going to be shipped to someone, what's the difference whether or not it's shipped directly to a buyer or his FFL ?

Are you an attorney?
Didn't think so.
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

I would say if it isn't going to cost you anything why not send it to an FFL unless the FFL requires you to be an FFL and you are not. If that were the case make the buyer pay for any extra costs associated with the transfer. As a Californian I am very sensative about all the people who now refuse to ship to Ca because of the new requirement that the FFL receiving the gun must be verified as having all appropriate permits current. In speaking to several dealers that have shipped to my FFL the verification is a very simple on-line process that costs nothing. I am sure the antis see this law as a victory given that people won't sell into Ca. The Antis in the rest of the states now know of a successful ploy to disrupt free transfer without making it illegal which would be more difficult.