Nose tip installation.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Nose tip installation.

Post by cshold »

Any of you guys ever install a metal nose tip?
I'm thinking about giving it a try.
Pointers please. :)

One of these:

On one of these:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Nose tip installation.

Post by TedH »

Yes, I have converted a Marlin 30TK from barrel band to fore end cap. I wanted to upgrade the hardwood stocks to walnut and Marlin never made the 30TK with walnut so I had to make the fore end myself. It's not too bad a job, even with hand tools, which is all I used in my project. Just take it slow and easy, checking progress/fit often. Brownells or Midway should have the metal parts you'll need, cap, tenon, screws. The touchiest part is cutting the dovetail in the barrel for the cap tenon. Again, slow and easy.

Before

After

Last edited by TedH on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Wow!! Very nice job. :)
I always thought the nose tips looked
better in my opinion.
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

Ted, how did you inlet the magazine tube into the forend. Seems like a full length hole would be the starting point, and I can think of a number of ways of handling that, but I would like to know how it is normally done.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I don't know how it's normally done. This was my first and only attempt at such an endeavor. But you're right, I started by drilling a hole.
NRA Life Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Now correct me if I'm wrong,
but sure looks like the picture of the one
I have post above from Midway is plug & play.
Other than shortening the end of the wood forearm.
Or am I missing something?
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there casastahle - It looks like you'll have to shorten the forearm alittle. I'm assuming there was a barrel band originally. The nose cap you have actually sits just in front of the forearm and straddles a "U"-ish shaped bracket that sits itself in a dovetail on the lower side of the barrel. The two screw holes in your cap carry on into two threaded holes on either side of the dovetailed bracket. Check out an exploded view drawing of something like a 39a and you will see the part. Marlin would have one in a caliber to suit your needs I'm sure. Isn't there already an existing magazine tube hole in the forearm? Hope this helps (some). Watch yer top knot. Wind.

TedH - That is a really nice job!. -W-
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

casastahle wrote:Now correct me if I'm wrong,
but sure looks like the picture of the one
I have post above from Midway is plug & play.
Other than shortening the end of the wood forearm.
Or am I missing something?

Not so. The barrel band is held in place by a screw that goes all the way through. The caps are held in place with a screw from each side that thread into the tenon, a small part that is dovetailed in the barrel. You will have to whittle on the wood as well.
NRA Life Member