Savage Mdl 99, A Throw Away?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Savage Mdl 99, A Throw Away?

Post by oldmax »

Last week I was browsing in a local gun shop and saw a Mdl 99 in the rack.
I asked to look at it; a lightweight version , I think.
( Slim barrel and stock, safety on lever, )
1st I noticed it was drilled/tapped in rear reciever and on front of reciever.
Also it looked like the reciever top was torn/separated (2) places, running forward from
the ejection port ( where the radius was from vertical to horizontal )
Tares were about 1/2 inch long ( drilled holes were very close )

I did not look to closely as I had decided the $799 was to steep...

? I assume the gun was overcharged ?? Surprise to me,
I have never seen a Savage 99 destroyed...
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: Savage Mdl 99, A Throw Away?

Post by Mike D. »

I can't believe that a shop owner would try to sell a junk gun, especially at that inflated price. If that is his policy, I'd steer a very wide path around that place. :o
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

It doesn't make any sense that he'd try to sell it for anything other than parts. Unless the price was a joke.
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

Good thing you walked away.
Not knowing what the year was or the caliber, it sounds like a bad deal to me. :wink:
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

The answer is "yes, if you have a Savage 99 throw it away". :D :lol:

Seriously, if that receiver actually had tears/cracks in it you should go in and tell them cause there is now way it will/should sell like that. Especially for such a ludicrous amount. It sounds like something they should already have seen.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

Well, I have a brush gun 99 made in the 50's in 358 Win. It is my go to gun! The 99 is a great rifle and the value of them is climing more than most other rifles. Look is up on www.gunbroker.com or www.auctionarms.com you will see what I mean.

I love my 99 and of all my leverguns, if I had to go with only one rifle, that would be it. :wink:
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd just point out the problem to the shop owner, and unless he offers right away to sell it to you as a parts gun, just drift back in a couple days. If he's put it back out, he's EVIL, if he hasn't, at least he's an honest guy, although not one I'd trust if he was dumb enough to put a potentially dangerous piece out on the shelf for sale.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Also it looked like the reciever top was torn/separated (2) places, running forward from
the ejection port ( where the radius was from vertical to horizontal )
Tares were about 1/2 inch long ( drilled holes were very close )
:?:

How about you take a camera and go back and tell the owner that you might have a buyer for this rare 99. I'd like to see what you're talking about. I simply can't envisioned a "torn" 99 receiver.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

Yes, that would be cool.....But I do know if you do not drill and tap it correctly, it can and will crack.
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Levergun wrote:Yes, that would be cool.....But I do know if you do not drill and tap it correctly, it can and will crack.
Oh, Oh - now you got me scared... I'd just gotten the courage to order three Williams FP's for my un-peeped guns...

What is it (other than scratching the finish when you bust the tap... :oops: ) that makes a receiver crack after D&T...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The early Savage 1899 and it's predescessor the Model 1895 had a reputation for cracking at the front corners of the ejection port. After numerous failures, Savage reworked the shape so the leading edge of this port was not square, and the newer curved edge pretty much ended this issue of receiver failures. However, if a Savage 99 is overloaded, the first place it fails is in these same two corners.-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Thanks Vall,
Good to know, even though I am not prone to hot loads.
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

AJMD429 wrote:
Levergun wrote:Yes, that would be cool.....But I do know if you do not drill and tap it correctly, it can and will crack.
Oh, Oh - now you got me scared... I'd just gotten the courage to order three Williams FP's for my un-peeped guns...

What is it (other than scratching the finish when you bust the tap... :oops: ) that makes a receiver crack after D&T...?
Stress from the drillng and tapping from heat etc. and recoil after the fact. I am not saying you are going to have a problem, I am just saying, if it is not done correctly, it can be a problem.

For example, every smith I talked to about drilling and tapping an original receiver on a Springfield 03 would not touch it because of the way those receivers were hardend, if they could get throguh the metal, they feared that it would crack.
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com