OT-Anything the .32H&R Mag can do, that the .357 Mag can't?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Anything the .32H&R Mag can do, that the .357 Mag can't?

Post by awp101 »

I know, it's an odd question but I have LOTS of odd questions! :lol:

Yesterday I picked up my new-to-me Martini Cadet in .357 (more on that in another thread :wink: ). I only put 10 rounds through it (5-.38 Spec SWC and 5-.357 Mag) since I was in a hurry but so far it's a real joy to shoot. Being a fan of single shots and the Martini action in general I started considering how to fund another one (or two or three :wink: ) in other calibers.

The .32 H&R Mag came to mind but I can't think of anything it can do that the .357 can't. I have a Marlin 1894CB in .32 H&R Mag so I already have ammo and components on hand but the rifle has stayed around simply because I like Marlins and they seem to be semi-collectible rather than for any fruitful purpose.

Is there any PRACTICAL reason to have both calibers? I suspect not since the .357 can be loaded up or down for the occasion at hand but the .32 can only go up so far and I don't think the hottest .32 loads are near the low end .357 loads.

Thoughts?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: OT-Anything the .32H&R Mag can do, that the .357 Mag can't?

Post by Old Savage »

No and I have thought about that having both.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

You can shoot the .32 much cheaper than the .357. :D
.........THE TWINS..........

Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

You could always get another Martini and have one in 327 Mag. Wouldn't mind rebarreling an NEF to that caliber. Use a .308 or .310 bore barrel and easily load 30cal bullets and get to use carbide dies to boot. Should be one nice cast boolit gun!!
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thunder50 wrote:You could always get another Martini and have one in 327 Mag.
I thought about that as well. Then I could use .327 Federal, .32 H&R Mag, .32 S&W and what else? :lol:

I just don't see the need to go the Federal route though. After being interested when it first came out, I can't say that I am now.

I guess I'm trying to justify keeping one caliber for just one rifle that's not interchangeable with anything else I have and doesn't fill a "need" per se other than the neato-keen factor... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

cubrock wrote:You can shoot the .32 much cheaper than the .357. :D
Good point! :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

You can carry more ammo. :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You can't save money by getting another gun here and 357/38 ammo is more common and cheaper and more potent. Nothing is to be gained by the 32. Now if it was a 32 there might be an argument.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Old Savage wrote:You can't save money by getting another gun here and 357/38 ammo is more common and cheaper and more potent. Nothing is to be gained by the 32. Now if it was a 32 there might be an argument.

Yeah - if buying factory ammo, that is right. My statement about .32 being cheaper was assuming reloading and possibly casting one's own bullets. :D
.........THE TWINS..........

JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

If you have one in 357 personally I'd be looking at some other calibre rather than 32 Mag. A lot of cadet actions in Oz were converted to various calibers. The 222 Rimmed was developed for use in the cadet and had a reasonable following. Occasionally they turn up in 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 25-20 & 357. Even seen one in 25-35 and heard of one in 32-40.

Joe
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I have a number, 5 I think, 357s. One .32 HR Mag in a old ruger single six. 1ST, the .32 mag is nice and flat shooting with next to no recoil. 2nd, in the small ruger it is light and accurate. Its a sweetheart of a trail gun. The biggest advantage for many is lack of recoil compared to a .357 mag. It does have a sharp bark.

Now as for another caliber in the martini, I once had one made up in .256 win mag. I would do that again in a heartbeat! That is a .357 necked down to .25 caliber. I loved it, but stupidly traded it. I started off with a ruger hawkeye in one. I still have a contender barrel for my TC, also dies. That round really sizzles out and you can get the bullets up about 400 to 500 fps faster than a 25-20. Check it out!

http://www.chuckhawks.com/256Win.htm
Last edited by bogus bill on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

sometimes it's nice to have a rifle that is just enough to do the job. A friend of mine shoots 32 cal something for his silhouette pistol cartridge, it knocks them over at 100 yards just fine and I guess there's less kick.

Here's one advantage to your setup - (disclaimer - I haven't read all posts thoroughly) you can leave your 32 dies and 357 dies set up for one load each, so you don't have to readjust your 357 for shorter bullets and lighter loads. Do your light loads in the 32, and heavy loads in 357, and you'll have fewer organizational problems.

Currently I have 3 different bullets for 357 and two for 30-30, and sometimes I forget to readjust the dies.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AR-Trvlr
Levergunner

Post by AR-Trvlr »

About the only think I can think of is that the .32 can fit 6 rounds in a j-frame cylinder, vs. 5 rounds of .357

I still want a few more 32's, though.....
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

All I know is they are both loud! :o I personally would rather shoot a 45, 44-40, or 38-40 anytime over the 357 or 32 mag, but I'm old and want to be comfortable in my shooting. I always have to use ear plugs when shooting the mags and all the time when I'm target shooting.
Last edited by rangerider7 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

AR-Trvlr wrote:About the only think I can think of is that the .32 can fit 6 rounds in a j-frame cylinder, vs. 5 rounds of .357

I still want a few more 32's, though.....
+1,in a rifle,the .357 makes the .32 unnecessary. in a revolver, you get one more shot, or a smaller frame revolver,that's still capable of self defense.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The .357 is more potent... but potent for what? Paper targets and tin cans? Deer? Squirrels? It all depends on what you're going to do with it. A .32 S&W would be better on small edible game than a 357 mag.
Slow is just slow.
Ron Macy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ron Macy »

I'd like to have a single shot 327, 32H&R, etc. just because the european ROOK rifle concept always appealed to me. If NEF doesn't offer one I'll probably never have one but it still appeals to me.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

No need to justify another gun. You NEED a 327 and a 357. I NEED another 44. Just like my wife NEEDS another pair of shoes! The best reason I can give is; Because. :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

The 32 H&R Mag rifle can do plenty.
One of the delightful things about the 32 H&R Magnum rifle is the ability to limit penetration while still delivering a knock-out blow to a raccoon of porcupine in a tree. The 32 H&R Magnum using a 115-grain cast bullet will deliver the goods. There are times when 32 S&W Long load levels are more useful.
Two of the problems with the 357 Magnum rifles are: over penetration – a factor when shooting up into trees, and excessive destruction on smaller critters. My wife generally wants to kill critters but cutting them in two and scattering the internals all over the back yard is a quick path to putting a cartridge on her “get rid of it” list.
We have a TC carbine barrel for the 357 Maximum and it is a quite useful barrel in it place – the back yard is not the place.
It is much easier to load quiet and powerful ammunition which will not send bullets whizzing off into space or leaving a bloody mess in the backyard when working with the 32’s rather than the 38’s.
The 38 Special and the 357 Magnum rifles are quite useful and are perhaps a bit less specialized than the 32’s.
Slim
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Good, both arguments are being represented here! :lol:

All I hunt on a regular basis is paper but I think a Martini in .32 may be just the ticket for a super fun rifle.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Better, cheaper it's all irrelevant to me :!:

I have three revolvers I can shoot 32 H&R MAG in and a Marlin rifle .

And for the 357 I have a pair of Marlin rifles and a Ruger Single Action .

But I will say I normally shoot the 32's more then the 357's .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !