OT- Nothing much to post about...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GANJIRO

OT- Nothing much to post about...

Post by GANJIRO »

I received a few emails asking where I've been, and what I was up too so I thought I'd post a reply in the forum to answer everyone in one fell swoop. Haven't been posting here because I haven't been doing anything on topic, or anything off topic that's interesting but thank you for your concern. I did start aquatic therapy 3
weeks ago which is nice getting in the water though not the ocean which I prefer. Was tying flies but even that gets boring. Went to my first gun show in 2 years on Saturday in Honolulu, nothing worth buying, allot of overpriced model 94s. Stopped by the Trouts Unlimited booth and wound up signing up especially since
they were offering a free new 10 weight Scientific Anglers fly rod to the first 6 people who join. I came home from the gun show with a fly rod, go figure. Since I've had time to kill a few months back I dusted off some of my old ukuleles and started playing them again, something I haven't done for several years since living on Maui. I grew up with ukulele music in the house my Dad being quite the accomplished ukulele player with his Koa wood Kamaka Pineapple ukulele. I remember as a child my Dad regularly bringing out his ukulele at our weekly Friday night parties to strum several tunes to entertain the friends & guests. His Koa Kamaka was stolen several years ago and I always wanted to get him a replacement, and finally did a few days before my mom passed away. When I handed it to him his face lit up and right away he strummed a tune even though it had been over 25 years since he last played a ukulele. That was the only time he ever picked up that ukulele. After my mom passed away he had no desire for life. Just 2 months later Dad was also gone. I gave that ukulele to my kid sis in Florida in memory of Dad with whom she was especially close to. Recently I had the urge to get a new Koa Pineapple ukulele to start making music again on the old homestead just like in the good old days reviving some of the lost magic of days gone by. Well between eBay, the local swap meet, and visiting a local luthier in the past month or so I wound up purchasing at what most would consider unheard of savings not one but three very beautiful native Koa wood pineapple style ukuleles in 3 sizes a soprano (the smallest and most traditional), a concert, and a tenor. They are all three as beautiful sounding as they are beautiful to look at, and here they are. :mrgreen:

L to R - NICE tenor size, MELE concert size, R&L soprano size

1. NICE of Kapolei (Edward Bacani) Koa tenor pineapple

2. Mele of Maui Koa concert

3. R & L of Honolulu (Randy & Lenda Wong) Koa super soprano (concert neck)

My apologies for yet another off topic post, I sure miss my old life on Maui where a week rarely went by that I did not hunt, shoot, or fish, and I could email my dad about my weekly adventures. With post again when I have something worth posting. Thank you brothers for all your support over the years.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Nothing much to post about...

Post by 86er »

Hey Ji -

Glad to hear you are well. Those are some beautiful instruments! When I am not shooting I often turn to my guitar for the same peace of mind. Good luck with them! I fully anticipate making you play something for me sometime.

Joe
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Ji, holy smokes brother, good to see you around. Hope everything is on it's way to getting better for you. Miss your posts on topic or not.

I play guitar, so I have an appreciation for the uk's. Very nice. I haven't been giving my guitars their normal time as of late either. I usually try and play for a half hour a day, but I just haven't had the gumption to pick them up. This winters been a tough one. Work is literally eating me up. I'm afraid this years going to be a rough one. Since December we've had three homicides and three attempted homicides. In our county that's overwhelming. And we're only in the first quarter of this year.

Again, hope everythings on the mend with you and I look forward to seeing more of you here.

Take care.
Old Law Dawg
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Good to see you Ji! Whoever said you had to have something on-topic to post it here? :D Those are some beautiful ukuleles. I've always been jealous of those that can make their own music. A long time ago I started playing the banjo. Just as I was getting to where I could put some notes together I had an accident and hacked off my right index finger. It got put back together, but was never the same and I couldn't play worth a hoot anymore.
NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Ted, sounds like you need a guitar. :D
Old Law Dawg
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hello Ji

thanks for posting up. God is good to us isn't He? Glad you're keeping company with such lovely instruments.

Grizz
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Glad to here you are on the way back...
Cowboy up....and keep working on the therapy....
next thing ya know you will be out fishing and shooting....
the best therapy of all.....for me anyway!
Very nice ukuleles
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ji,

It is good to see you here. You should know that most everyone here somehow finds your OT posts ON topic... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Happy you are well friend!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Dang, Ji, good to hear from you! I was starting to wonder if you had fallen off the reef, or something. Take care, my friend, and keep in touch. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Very cool ukes...! OT posts are better than no posts..! Hope you're healing up well. Check back in when you're able (often).

:D
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

God bless you, Ji. Hang in there
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm glad you've stopped by the fire again, Ji - It's always been good to hear from you, on or off topic, IMHO.

BTW - That's an awesome looking Koa uke, there, pardner.

The VERY LEAST, you could do, is record a video w/audio & post it here for us to enjoy ! ;) :P :P :P :mrgreen:

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ji, always on topic from you. glad you are well. I had a Koa guitar a couple years back (a Taylor) and LOVED it. look forward to the range report and video on the ukes!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Ji darn glad to see ya back. :D Those are some beautifull looking instruments. I have always loved the way Koa looks weather its a traditional long board or fine uks such as these.
We missed you around here buddy.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome back - your post are always welcome.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:Ji,

It is good to see you here. You should know that most everyone here somehow finds your OT posts ON topic... :wink:
+1

Glad that you are starting to heal. Not having a musical bone in my body, I am impressed - and it sounds like this is a different kind of therapy that is helping the soul as much as water therapy is helping the body.

Heal well my friend!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Beautiful instruments!

I wonder how their sound would go with a mandolin.

We ought to find out some time.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Glad you're back, Ji! The place just ain't the same without you! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Good for you to post.Godspeed your recovery and keep the faith bro :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Thank you for all the words of encouragement. :D
I wish I could have a gunstock made from the same grade Koa the R & L ukulele is made from.
One day we'll all get together at Joe's in Hondo and play our instruments in front of a real fire after a good hunt.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

My wee brain can't cope with guitars, pianos, and other such instruments which require multiple notes be played together. I have to stick with trumpets and the like. In computer-speak, I have a single threading O.S.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

GANJIRO wrote:Thank you for all the words of encouragement. :D
I wish I could have a gunstock made from the same grade Koa the R & L ukulele is made from.
One day we'll all get together at Joe's in Hondo and play our instruments in front of a real fire after a good hunt.
That would be cool Ji. Can I join in too, I'm pretty good at playing a radio :D .

Good to here from you and those are some real cute little guitars you've got there. :D
Ricky

DWWC