WHY IZZIT? Marlin sharpens their loading gates . . .

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

WHY IZZIT? Marlin sharpens their loading gates . . .

Post by Noah Zark »

. . . or so it seems.

The scalloped forward edge of the loading gates on most of my newer Marlins could probably be used to cut twine or cord. My right thumb pleads to stay home when I load up Marlin levers to take to the range. Yesterday was no exception, and my thumb suffered a pretty good laceration about 7mm long. Not quite deep enough to bleed, but I could have donated a skin graft with the flap that needed trimmed off. In former times I have drawn blood, and that resulted in a polishing job on the Marlin gates to just "break" the sharp edges. Makes all the difference in the world.

Rant off.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Ysabel Kid

Re: WHY IZZIT? Marlin sharpens their loading gates . . .

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Noah, I haven't experienced this myself, as my Marlins are at least 25 years old! :wink:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Image

Noah, I haven't experienced this myself, as my Marlins are at least 25 years old! :wink:

You win the award for the coolest smileys... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there Noah Zark - I know the syndrome!! I get a "Marlin nail" on my right thumb. Whittles half the nail away in the loading process. Now and then I have to take the magazine tube cap off and blow the chips out. It's a mid-90's .357 Cowboy. I've eased the edge some on the rear of the receiver and try not to completely insert every cartridge with my thumb. By pushing them in with the next cartridge I can almost get through a weekend of shooting before it shaves off enough to start bleeding!! By the way you, can shorten the magazine spring alittle and maybe increase the tube capacity and relieve some spring tension in the early loading process. I always order up a replacement part (spring) and put the original away, and modify the replacement. Watch yer top knot. Wind
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

The inside edge needs to be beveled to function & sometimes its ground until it meets the scalloped part on the outside. I dont shove them all the way in anyway but have got nipped before.
I'm bothered more by the inner edge of the loading port itself scarring up brass.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Leverdude wrote: . . . I'm bothered more by the inner edge of the loading port itself scarring up brass.
+1

The inner edge of the port on a couple of my rifles was actually sharper than the loading gate. The edges of the ports on those guns did damage to both thumb and brass.

Noah
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

That's why I like Stainless guns, if something like that offends me I can just smooth it out with some emery and stones, and don't have to worry about refinishing the whole thing, or will cold blue hold up or blend in. I like blued guns a lot, but this is one of the reasons mine tend to be stainless. I guess with stainless guns, another thing I don't have to worry about is affecting the collector value. :)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I stick a crock stick in there just like I'm loading and that takes the edge off both offending pieces at one time :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Whats a crock stick?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Noah,
Ah come on, your a MARINE :D A cut like that should only begin to increase the endorphins that you guys like.

A Marine/Gunny buddy of mine punches himself in the face while we are camping and says, "Oooooo, I like that"! :D He may be a little nuts, but sure is a great guy to have at your back. When we are together, I can insult anyone I like and have no worry at retribution. :lol:

At matches, I can laugh at people who miss the 50 yard chickens and can even say, "hey, where did you get that rifle, out of the trash?" or Who taught you to shoot, Sara Brady?". One time another shooter shot a 14 on big bore silhouette, and I told him he had the intelligence of a stalk of celery.

The guy punched me out as Gunny took the day off from shooting :D ---naaaa---its all a joke but Gunny is real and he's my buddy----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

I mentioned this a few months ago in a different post. The machining and set-up with the new method that leaves the sharp edge saves them from $.17 -$.31 cents depending on the model (times the number of each model per year and it adds up to quite a bit). Some of my 41 Mag and 44 Mag heavies have trouble loading thanks to this. Ridiculous! You can fix it with a needle file in about 6 minutes.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Leverdude wrote:Whats a crock stick?

Those round, white ceramic rods you sharpen you knives on. I've got some pieces from broken rods that I chuck up and use for several different jobs. The little needle file Mike talked about would be ok, as well, as long as you don't get too carried away with it and leave a groove.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I had two new Marlins made around 1990. Both of them had sharp loading gates. They need to put some effort into deburring.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TomD wrote:That's why I like Stainless guns, if something like that offends me I can just smooth it out with some emery and stones, and don't have to worry about refinishing the whole thing, or will cold blue hold up or blend in. I like blued guns a lot, but this is one of the reasons mine tend to be stainless. I guess with stainless guns, another thing I don't have to worry about is affecting the collector value. :)
Yep - stainless isn't 'traditional' but it sure is practical. Only problem is if hunting it is shiny, but you can dull it or camoflauge it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Crikey, as they say across the big puddle, does yer momma cut yer meatloaf for ya too? (Insert whitty smiley of choice here)

Get ya a piece of 220 paper, a pencil (wood thing used to mark paper before the invention of keyboards) wrap paper around said wood thing, and go to work on it. yer only gonna "de-blue" the very edge, which will happen after some use anyway..... Any of mine I can stick my little finger in the gate (have done so to re-position stubborn rounds) and not git cut, but I know how to de-horn stuff..... ;)
Certified gun nut
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

adirondakjack wrote:Crikey, as they say across the big puddle, does yer momma cut yer meatloaf for ya too?

No, I use my USMC Ka-Bar to cut my meat loaf . . .

At 83, my mother just makes sure that I wear my rubbers . . .

Noah
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Uh-oh! I can see a new roll mark coming to Marlin receivers similar to the warnings on hair dryers about not using while in the bathtub. How about this - "Caution, sharp edges inside may cause lacerations to digits inserted in loading gate."

Growing older I can only hope they use a large type style easily read by seniors.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:( Quite a few cutting remarks, Men, and one or two loaded questions....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Noah Zark wrote:
adirondakjack wrote:Crikey, as they say across the big puddle, does yer momma cut yer meatloaf for ya too?

Noah
Geeze Noah, I didn't think you were that old :lol: and you sure are active at that age needing rubbers... :wink: :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You girls need to get over yourselves!

If you took offense at this post... GOOD, after my 12th full day without the calming effects of nicotine, somebody else needs to feel some discomfort!!!! Cuttin' my pinky on the edge of a Marlin loading gate would take my mind off the nicotine I'm NOT GETTING!!!!!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hey Griff, if you get to central IL and want to go burn some black stuff we might could arrange that. I know an outdoor range to shoot at. It's a bit of a drive, but doable.

The smell of charcoal and sulfur should help a bit.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote:Hey Griff, if you get to central IL and want to go burn some black stuff we might could arrange that. I know an outdoor range to shoot at. It's a bit of a drive, but doable.

The smell of charcoal and sulfur should help a bit.

Joe
I can see Griff sucking the smoke out of a .54 Renegade......

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Noah Zark wrote:. . . or so it seems.

The scalloped forward edge of the loading gates on most of my newer Marlins could probably be used to cut twine or cord. My right thumb pleads to stay home when I load up Marlin levers to take to the range. Yesterday was no exception, and my thumb suffered a pretty good laceration about 7mm long. Not quite deep enough to bleed, but I could have donated a skin graft with the flap that needed trimmed off. In former times I have drawn blood, and that resulted in a polishing job on the Marlin gates to just "break" the sharp edges. Makes all the difference in the world.

Rant off.

Noah
I haven't had that problem with any of the Marlins I've owned. But when it does happen my cure would be a dowell rod of the correct diameter with some wet/dry sand paper wrapped around it. That should take care of any sharp edges pretty quick and painlessly.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It don't hurt to work the loading gate a few hundred times or more with the eraser end of a pencil or other suitable tool......Loosens it up a bunch.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

O.S.O.K. wrote:
Noah Zark wrote:

Noah
Geeze Noah, I didn't think you were that old :lol: and you sure are active at that age needing rubbers... :wink: :lol:

OSOK needs to go back to English class and spend some time on modifying clauses . . . :wink: :lol:

For the record, I'm halfway to 110, and still wear my rubbers. I just don't buy them in boxes of 48 . . . that's like a 10 year supply.

Noah
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

BlaineG wrote:
Leverdude wrote:Whats a crock stick?

Those round, white ceramic rods you sharpen you knives on. I've got some pieces from broken rods that I chuck up and use for several different jobs. The little needle file Mike talked about would be ok, as well, as long as you don't get too carried away with it and leave a groove.

Thanks, thats a good Idea!

Not sure about the rest of these guys, rubbers & rambo knives, meatloaf? :lol:
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

The real reason Marlin sharpens their loading gates is the president of Marlin manufacturing was forced to hire his brother-in-law, to get him out of his house and get him a job other than flippin burgers. When he hired his BIL he made a point of telling him to look sharp and be sharp on his job of installing the loading gate on their leverguns. Well the brother-in-law took it the wrong way and thought it meant to make them sharp. Now the president is afraid to do anything to correct him or get rid of him, because he might move back into his house. AT least that is my theory.......... :lol:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Griff wrote:You girls need to get over yourselves!

If you took offense at this post... GOOD, after my 12th full day without the calming effects of nicotine, somebody else needs to feel some discomfort!!!! Cuttin' my pinky on the edge of a Marlin loading gate would take my mind off the nicotine I'm NOT GETTING!!!!!!!
One more reason I really don't want to quit smoking... :lol:

Hang tight Griff!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at