usfa 12/22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

usfa 12/22

Post by dennie »

Have any of you seen/handled/shot the new USFA 12/22 revolver? I was checking it out a little bit ago and it sure looks neat! 8) I know it is pretty expensive for a .22 pistol, but the cool factor is very high! :D Seems I may be shooting a lot more .22s now that components for the bigger calibers keeps going up.
The pluses for me would be:
cheap to shoot
already have belts and holsters to fit
Way cool!

Minuses are:
expensive ($749 MSRP)
heavy for a .22
too pretty to throw in the tackle/tool box

Guess I am looking for someone to tell me it's OK to get it! :D :D
Any way, I look forward to your thoughts.
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Re: usfa 12/22

Post by pshort »

it's ok, get it.... you also need to get a USFA SAA as well!
Pick your caliber, there're many... I picked a .45 Colt.....

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

For that kind of money you could buy 8 used H&R 949 nine shot revolvers and still have some change. You could even get the H&R 650 version which is nickel plated. Oh and they are double and single action revolvers even though they look like single action revolvers.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Get it. I've been looking at them too and they look great.
Old Law Dawg
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Bear 45/70,
You are probably correct on getting 8 of the H&Rs for the same money. Problem is, i have no way to carry 8 revolvers comfortably! :lol: I have only shot 2 H&R revolvers in my time, and they seemed OK, just never did much for me. I believe they sold them at Sears when I was a pup. I have run across several at yard sales over the years for around a hundred bucks including a holster. Might still get one some day. But the 12/22 seems to be talking to me. :)
I think pshort and kimwcook are on the same page as me. Wow, maybe a group deal! :wink:
I appreciate all the suggestions and comments.
Thanx.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Up until recently I had a pair of H&R 649, six shooters. There's 12 and carrying two revolvers is easy. None of my 22 LRs come close to that much money except for the custom built Ruger 10/22 Target I own and that was a gift. Hell, I bought a brand new Ruger #1 for that kind of money.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Been a while since I've been on their site.

The 12/22 is sharp but I gotta get one of the "Omni-Target" revolvers!
To me that has to be one of the best looking sixguns I've ever seen!

Think I'm gonna have to sell off a Bunch of stuff!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Bear 45/70,
I hear what you are saying about the cost, they are pricey. My Colt SAA 3rd gen is the only gun I have that I gave more than this for, but I just had to have it, and have no regrets. What is the H&R 649? I don't think I ever saw one. I love cheap .22s that work also. I have a Remington 512, a Marlin 75, and a Ruger Mk II that I have less than $200.00 in all 3. They all shoot fine, and I'm happy with them. I also have a Savage O/U in .22LR/20ga. that I gave $50 for, then spent $8 for a can of truck bed liner spray to redo the stock. I use it a lot! It is ideal to take to the barn or hang on the tractor! I know thrifty, but sometimes you just have to "go for it".
I do appreciate your thoughts and thank you for them.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

H&R Model 649 .22/.22WMR double action revolver manufactured from 1976 through 1985. It came with an additional .22 WMR caliber cylinder. The cylinder will have the cartridge size stamped on it. It came with a 5 1/2" or 7 1/2" barrel with walnut grips. They sold complete for around $89.00 Mine has bothe the 22 LR and the 22 WMR cylinders. These are the only two pics I can find of a 649 alone.

dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Thanx for the pics of the 649. My CRS says I have not seen one of these! How does the .22mag shoot in it?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Dang it man!!!

I just checked the web site to see what you were talking about. $825 MSRP?

You can buy 2 single sixes for that.

I hope that's a lot of gun. Not to knock yer choice. I'm a S&W fan through and through.
I pretty much sold on my 617 so maybe I shouldn't say much about price now should I.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've never been able to warm up to the HR revolvers. They just don't trip my trigger like a Colt SAA modeled one.
Old Law Dawg
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Rusty,
It did say special price when I was there. That didn't last long,huh? :roll: I have a stainless Super Single Six .22LR/.22mag, and it is nice, but it is not a SAA size. It does feel a whole lot better tho since I put the fake ivory grips from my original Vaquero on it! I was shocked to find that the grips from that big honker would fit the Single Six. Much better feel than the factory wood.

kimwcook,
I know, I just can't get a warm cozy feeling about the H&Rs either.
Think I will try to find a dealer close by and see what an OTD price is.Maybe with the economy like it is they will sell for half price! :lol: :lol: Maybe that elected guy will "stimulate" the price a little. :P
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Rusty
I went back to the USFA site and the price I quoted was from a Sept./08 news release.
The current price is as you stated. Bummer. :(
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hammerman »

I've got one, and all I can say is it kicks butt. This thing is accurate. It also feels like a movie gun because you can blast forever. :lol: . USFA's are very nice and the fit and finish is great. You can get one for $689 from a few places. I'd say it's worth the money.

If the capacity ban comes in to play again, I'd think they'd want to ban this gun because it holds more than 10 rounds. You never know :?:
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Thanx hammerman, if I find one under 7 bills it will prolly come home to my place! :D
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Those sure are cool, but a little too rich for my blood for a deuce deuce. 12 shots is a lot handier than 6 - that said.

hopei dont sound too much like a broken record, but a single six is at most $450 -- the extra $300 will buy 15 boxes (7500 rounds or so) of .22 LR at $20 a box
----- Doug
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

dennie wrote:Thanx for the pics of the 649. My CRS says I have not seen one of these! How does the .22mag shoot in it?

My 649 with the magnumcylinder in the gun it shoots about an inch higher at 50 yards than the 22LRs do. I don't use the mag cylinder much anymore because of the cost of the stuff. The wife likes shooting the magnums though so I always keep several boxes around.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Quality costs, but 20 years from now, the USFA will be the one in the safe that's worth double or triple what you gave for it. Handle one and understand.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

blackhawk44 wrote:Quality costs, but 20 years from now, the USFA will be the one in the safe that's worth double or triple what you gave for it. Handle one and understand.

Not if obama has his way, but then neither one of us can atually see into the future. If you didn't catch what I'm saying, it is "I doubt it will be worth more, ever."