OT- S & W M&P identification

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

OT- S & W M&P identification

Post by Gun Smith »

Yes, I know it's off topic. But I need help in finding out which model I have. There are no S&W serial number sites on the web. The gun is a 38 Special S&W Hand Ejector Model M&P, K frame. I would like to know which model/change, 2nd, 3rd or 4th? The serial number is 217xxx. If this serial number is before 1926 it is a 2nd model/change, I think.
Last edited by Gun Smith on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT- S & W M&P identification

Post by Wind »

Hey there Gun Smith - Take a gander over at www.smith-wessonforums.com as there are a bunch of fellas over there that will be happy to help out. Hope this helps. Watch yer top knot. Wind
Little Doc
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Little Doc »

history of smith & wesson by roy jinks page 161 states that serial number 146900-241703, dates 1909-1915, model 1905 third change. may be 4 in bbl or 6 in bbl, round butt or square, blue or nickle.
hope this helps
ld
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Thanks Wind and little doc, 1905 third change. Got it! Ain't this place neat!
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Gun Smith:

Is there a prefix letter ahead of the serial number? If so, that letter is actually part of the serial number and the DOB of the revolver is dependent on it.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Hi Noah Zark,
No, just the six digit serial number. The gun was a battlefield pickup by a U.S. Marine off a dead rebel soldier in Nicarauga in the 1920's. It's a 6" round grip 90% nickel gun with a dark, but good bore. It was given to my dad by the man's widow.