PRICE CHECK - Ruger No.3

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

PRICE CHECK - Ruger No.3

Post by Bruce Scott »

How much would you expect to pay for a #3 in VGC. I have seen a nice one in 45-70 going for US$530.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Ruger No.3 Value

Post by Lefty Dude »

Thats about the going price.

Saw one this past Saturday at the Phoenix Gun Show #3 45-70, asking price $495.00

Last year I sold my #3 30-40 krag for $500.00.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Have you shot it? For some reason #3s in 45-70 seem to kick about twice as hard as other 45-70s with the same loads.....I thought it was just me, but others have commented on that as well. Nice rifle, just not an all afternoon plinker :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

BlaineG wrote:Have you shot it? For some reason #3s in 45-70 seem to kick about twice as hard as other 45-70s with the same loads.....:mrgreen:
Nope.... :D

I'm expecting it to thump but it seems like it would make a nice handy scrub gun for pigs.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

The straight stock on the #3 is a recoil amplifier. :shock: I've shot both a #3 and a #1 in 45/70, one after the other. Makes me glad my #3 is in 22 Hornet.
Last edited by Bear 45/70 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Friend of mine shoots pigs with a #3. I didn't find it too bad for hunting duty.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote:Friend of mine shoots pigs with a #3. I didn't find it too bad for hunting duty.
+1.......Don't let me talk you out of it, that will be a dandy hunter..Ya never feel or hear anything shooting at something that could bite back :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You know Blaine - if possible, I think it would be a good idea too shoot one before you buy.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I'd buy just because you rarely see them any more-should roll pigs just fine!Hope you had a good Anzac day!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Just get it and shoot factory spec loads out of it -- no need to shadow .458 Mag ballistics for pigs (unless they are over 500 lbs or something)
----- Doug
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

BlaineG wrote:Have you shot it? For some reason #3s in 45-70 seem to kick about twice as hard as other 45-70s with the same loads.....I thought it was just me, but others have commented on that as well. Nice rifle, just not an all afternoon plinker :mrgreen:
Triple T is right on. The man who designed the Ruger #3 in 45/70 Govt. should be beaten to within an inch of his life, and then kicked in the face. The Ruger #3 in 45/70 the most miserable rifle to shoot of any rifle I've ever owned. Even with standard 45/70 loads it will jump up and bust you right in the cheek while crushing your knuckles at the same time. I'm not sure what it does to the shoulder, the other beatings were too distracting. I've owned and shot, extensively, several 375 H&H Magnums and 416 Remingtons. My elk and similar sized game rifle is a 340 Weatherby throwing 250 grain bullets at 2800 fps. These rifle kick, but they don't hold a candle to the brutality inflicted by the rotten, ill conceived, poorly designed piece of junk called the Ruger #3 in 45/70.

After finally getting rid of my #3 it was years before I'd even try to shoot another 45/70 Govt. Then an old sage by the name of Grizz convinced me it was safe to go back into the woods and suggested a Marlin 1895. I bought one cheap and took it out to shoot. The Marlin machine turned out to be a pure pleasure to shoot. I've spent entire afternoons shooting round after round at rocks of all sizes. A finer plinking rifle and load has yet to be created. I've even shot very heavy loads out of the Marlin with no problem with recoil at all. Heck, dove loads out of a 20 gauge inflict more pain than the 45/70 out of the Marlin.

The moral of the story is this, the Ruger #3 isn't worth owning even if the seller paid you $500 to take the misery stick off his hands. Walking around with a fresh pile of dog poop in your shirt pocket while someone big continues to punch you in the face would be more pleasant than owning that abomination. You savvy?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Idiot wrote:[The moral of the story is this, the Ruger #3 isn't worth owning even if the seller paid you $500 to take the misery stick off his hands. Walking around with a fresh pile of dog poop in your shirt pocket while someone big continues to punch you in the face would be more pleasant than owning that abomination. You savvy?

WOW :o Idiot feels pretty strong about these! i guess my only comparison is my Marlin as well. With off the shelf cartridges it recoils less than a 30-30 (is magna-ported tho) It appears that is not the case with the Ruger
----- Doug
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Friend of mine has killed many hogs with his No.3, he has said nothing of recoil and he's not a big guy.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

model55 wrote:I'd buy just because you rarely see them any more-should roll pigs just fine!Hope you had a good Anzac day!

They are not common here and of those that came, many have been made up into custom rifles.

A replacement No.1 buttstock is also an option.

Thanks for your thoughts
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Idiot wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Have you shot it? For some reason #3s in 45-70 seem to kick about twice as hard as other 45-70s with the same loads.....I thought it was just me, but others have commented on that as well. Nice rifle, just not an all afternoon plinker :mrgreen:
Triple T is right on.

The moral of the story is this, the Ruger #3 isn't worth owning even if the seller paid you $500 to take the misery stick off his hands. Walking around with a fresh pile of dog poop in your shirt pocket while someone big continues to punch you in the face would be more pleasant than owning that abomination. You savvy?
I'm beginning to get the impression that there may be a recoil issue with these..... :mrgreen:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Apparently that affects people differently. You probably have to shoot one yourself to see.

Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: PRICE CHECK - Ruger No.3

Post by Swampman »

I'd have to disagree, the Ruger #3 is a great rifle and about the only Ruger I really care for. It only kicks bad if you don't know what you're doing.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Shoot, buy it if you like it and produce a load that makes it 'pleasant'. I am sure that it will be a great hog gun.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Old thread alert :lol:
----- Doug
Hecter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hecter »

My first 45-70 was a Ruger#3 with the best looking wood any Ruger had on it. BUT IT KICKED ME TO DEATH. Sold it and bought a #1 and love it. Best not shoot any stiff loads in it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

2X22 wrote:Shoot, buy it if you like it and produce a load that makes it 'pleasant'.
Yep.

It's not like there isn't a huge spectrum of tried and proven .45-70 loads out there, and even the 'mild' ones are like little lead freight-trains when bullet meets target.

In a single-shot like that, you can use as long or heavy a bullet as you want, so consider a really heavy bullet just gently pushed out the barrel, unless you really need a 'flat' trajectory (in which case get a 7mm Rem Mag instead). Just keep shy of the twist-rate limit and watch for keyholing.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Love my #3 in 45/70. I have not found a load it does not shoot well from 300 grain JHP to 525 grain cast.
With the stouter loads, a lot of people do not want to shoot it a second time though. :twisted: