Savage 99 for polar bear

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Savage 99 for polar bear

Post by bcp »

Found this photo. Click the link.

http://www.musee-mccord.qc.ca/scripts/l ... eID=152728

Bruce
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Savage 99 for polar bear

Post by tman »

must be a fake. everybody knows you can't kill a bear with a .303 savage. just ask guns&ammo/shooting times. those puny ,underpowered slugs would just bounce off. the hunter would have been mauled and eaten. nice trick photo ,though. :lol:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Neat picture. 8)
NRA Life Member
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm with tman everyone knows you can't kill a polar bear with a levergun. :lol: :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:twisted: There's one safe from Global Warming :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Polar hunter looks like another over gunned wuss to me.. Check THIS sportsman out:
http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm4/item_viewe ... CISOPTR=99
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

.30 Carbine, underated?
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

! love seeing those pictures. But can someone tell us what happen to the new model 99, that was coming from Savage!! :?:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Polar hunter looks like another over gunned wuss to me.. Check THIS sportsman out:
http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm4/item_viewe ... CISOPTR=99
Woo Hoo! Now I can go Bear Hunting with my .357! :shock: :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

slow2run wrote:! love seeing those pictures. But can someone tell us what happen to the new model 99, that was coming from Savage!! :?:

It appears the economy bit it in the azz.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

mescalero1 said
.30 Carbine, underated?
Lucky for the hunter the bears didn't know to wear the now legendary Korean War Chi Com quilted winter weather clothing/armor cause we all know .30 carbine bullets bounce right off of it.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

both hunters in both photo's must have came across dead bears and had their picture taken with them. minimun for bear is a .416 weatherby. must fire a super bonded, urainium depleted premiun bullet. these photos should be outlawed. god forbid, some dumb hunter saw them and tryed to duplicate the feat, maybe with a pathetic 30-06. i hope the rifleman at least has enough sense to file the front sight smooth off of his rifle, cause the trophy of a lifetime GREAT BEAR knows what to do with that gun. :shock:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Wonder if the guy with the .30 carbine realized what he was doing? I can just picture one of his buddies rolling around on the tent floor laughing that morning when the guy grabbed his carbine to go Kodiak Bear hunting. :lol: :lol: :lol:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Wonder if those bears knew what he was doing?
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I didn't know they chambered a Savage 99 in 470 Nitro. :roll:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I was stationed at Fort Ord in 1958 and became good friends with an eskimo from Point Barrow. He told me that he got his first polar bear at age nine with a Winchester 94 in 25-35.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Did he provide details?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

My dad hunted moose in BC for a number of years and the ole native guide he and his friend used carried a bolt action 22. He told my dad he shot both griz and moose with it. He said he shot the bears in the ear and I don't remember where he said he shot the moose.
Old Law Dawg
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Kim,
Years ago I read about an Eskimo that would do that to polar bears.
Always thought he was very crazy or very brave, or very foolish.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

Folks up here loved the 99 and used it extensively. I see far more of them in period photos than the bigger 86's. My bet is if you went back to 1910 and asked hunters what was better bear medicine, they'd tell you a 99 over an "outdated" .45-70 black powder round.

A hunter on Kodiak called Peter Kewan killed 49 enormous island bears with very light leverguns. In an account reprinted in the book "Kodiak Island and Its Bears," the author relates that "Kewan was reputed to have had 48 bear kills to his credit. He used a small caliber rifle, not exceeding a .30-30, and "... would sneak within a few yards of the big bear and as the bear would raise to his hind feet to get a better view before charging, he would fire a fatal shot, hardly ever shooting more than twice." P. 74. Eventually Kewan's luck ran out and the 49th finally got him before it too died.

He wasn't the only one. There's a well known photo of a human skull found feet from a bear skull from one of the SE islands. Chuck Grubin had a print of it hanging in his gun store for years. The broken remains of a Savage 99 lay between the skeletons.

After the war the bolt actions took over, but thanks to the pioneering work of guides such as Harold Johnson the leverguns of old were retrofitted to new, amped-up bear killers like the .450 Alaskan and .50 Alaskan. The resurgence of leverguns as valid big game rifles can be traced to their efforts. I always wondered why Marlin didn't adopt these awesome wildcat cartridges in its revamped 1895.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Cosmoline,
Thank you for that narritive.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

BTW, Karamojo Bell shot some cape buffalo with the .22 High Power. I do not know if he fired it from a m99 or from another gun. And Barne's Manual #3 has a short article on the .22 Hornet, where the author, Dr. Ed Ashby, writes, that the little cartridge is capable of taking "larger plains game animals". The article is illustrated with a photo of the Dr. Ashby and a bagged zebra.

"Shot placement is king" somebody wrote. But I would not be fond of meeting a polar bear with a .30 caliber gun in my hand. There are some reasons for a .45-70. And perhaps I would prefer to not encounter a polar bear at all. It is great, beautiful animal, but I have no ambitions to become a dinner.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

When I was about 10-12 years old my dad took my brother and I to the movie house to watch a show on bow hunting. I don't remember who the archer was but it showed him taking a whole slew of different critters. From whale to polar bear. The polar bear was a mankiller or nuisance of some type, don't quite remember, but they found this huge male bear from the air and landed. The cameraman followed the archer through these huge broken up ice fields and they came around a corner and there was the bear. The guy got the bear, but remembering back it still gives me the willies. That bear looked as big as a house and it was too close for my comfort. It was quite the show.
Old Law Dawg
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My Grandad was a cattleman in Wyoming. He was born in 1889 and died in 1973. During those years he saw many changes but he never changed his hunting style or rifles. Grandad's favorite rifle was a long octagon barreled 94 in 30-30 with a flip up tang sight. But he also hunted at times with a 95 Winchester in 30-40 and a battered 94 saddle ring carbine in 30-30. Grandad shot many elk, bears, mt. lions, mulies ( he called them blacktail deer), antelope, and coyotes. Grandad hunted bighorn sheep in 1920's before they vanished from the Bighorn Mts. In summary, animals are not armor-plated and will die quickly if hit right the first time. Grandad had the close range hunting skills of an archer and the patience of a man who raised 6 children.

Thanks for sharing this photo.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

That's nice country!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

game keeper wrote:I'm with tman everyone knows you can't kill a polar bear with a levergun. :lol: :lol:
'Good thing nobody ever told Mr. Wesson you couldn't do it with a .357!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Cosmoline wrote:Folks up here loved the 99 and used it extensively. I see far more of them in period photos than the bigger 86's. My bet is if you went back to 1910 and asked hunters what was better bear medicine, they'd tell you a 99 over an "outdated" .45-70 black powder round.

A hunter on Kodiak called Peter Kewan killed 49 enormous island bears with very light leverguns. In an account reprinted in the book "Kodiak Island and Its Bears," the author relates that "Kewan was reputed to have had 48 bear kills to his credit. He used a small caliber rifle, not exceeding a .30-30, and "... would sneak within a few yards of the big bear and as the bear would raise to his hind feet to get a better view before charging, he would fire a fatal shot, hardly ever shooting more than twice." P. 74. Eventually Kewan's luck ran out and the 49th finally got him before it too died.

He wasn't the only one. There's a well known photo of a human skull found feet from a bear skull from one of the SE islands. Chuck Grubin had a print of it hanging in his gun store for years. The broken remains of a Savage 99 lay between the skeletons.

After the war the bolt actions took over, but thanks to the pioneering work of guides such as Harold Johnson the leverguns of old were retrofitted to new, amped-up bear killers like the .450 Alaskan and .50 Alaskan. The resurgence of leverguns as valid big game rifles can be traced to their efforts. I always wondered why Marlin didn't adopt these awesome wildcat cartridges in its revamped 1895.
Some folks can learn to handle a bolt gun real quick, but chances are, with the same amount of practice, they'd be able to handle a lever like it was a semi-auto!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

bcp, thanks for the link! I made that photo the wallpaper on my desktop.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

kimwcook wrote:When I was about 10-12 years old my dad took my brother and I to the movie house to watch a show on bow hunting. I don't remember who the archer was but it showed him taking a whole slew of different critters. From whale to polar bear. The polar bear was a mankiller or nuisance of some type, don't quite remember, but they found this huge male bear from the air and landed. The cameraman followed the archer through these huge broken up ice fields and they came around a corner and there was the bear. The guy got the bear, but remembering back it still gives me the willies. That bear looked as big as a house and it was too close for my comfort. It was quite the show.
That was likely Howard Hill... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV5uI3TqcXw
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Cosmoline wrote:Folks up here loved the 99 and used it extensively. I see far more of them in period photos than the bigger 86's. My bet is if you went back to 1910 and asked hunters what was better bear medicine, they'd tell you a 99 over an "outdated" .45-70 black powder round.

The note about the photo of the two skulls reminded me of a short story contest Field & Stream ran 30-odd years ago. Does anyone remember it? Seems mixed human and bear bones were found somewhere in Alaska (exactly where escapes me) along with a rusted .31 calber 1849 Colt grown into the crotch of a nearby tree. (There was a picture of the Colt, trapped in the tree, illustrating the sidebar.) F&S challenged readers to come up with a story explaining the scene. I entered, but I think my take on it wasn't creative enough. (I didn't win!) Anyone recall this?
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tumbleweeds »

Ben East killed his first polar bear with a 99, in .300. He said in his book "Bears" that he had thought the .300 Savage adequate for all his big game hunting until that day, but no longer held that opinion. It's a pretty interesting story - the bear died right at the tips of his boots.