OT - Old West artists

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

OT - Old West artists

Post by claybob86 »

My favorite old western artist is Frederic Remington, followed closely by Charles Russell. I know there were others, but I'm not familiar with 'em. Who else did that kind of stuff and who is your favorite? :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

George Catlin is earlier.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

A gentleman by the name of Oleg Weighorst (sp), his style was similar to Russell's. He lived in La Meas, California in the 50's. Friends of mine owned a couple of Russell's paintings, even big bucks back then.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

How about Charles Schrevogel,? (sic?) jd45
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Don Troiani has done some old west of a military theme, particularly Dragoons (IIRC). He has a web site and still paints. Has original artifacts from which he paints making his very researched paintings pretty accurate. That matters to me but not to everyone.

Of course this depends on how you define OLD WEST. Mountain man era? Earlier or later?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I'd think there'd be a wide littitude, starting from about Lewis & Clark to the 1890s or 1900s.................Tom Horn's hangin?, maybe? jd45
OD*
Member Emeritus

Re: OT - Old West artists

Post by OD* »

claybob86 wrote:My favorite old western artist is Frederic Remington, followed closely by Charles Russell. I know there were others, but I'm not familiar with 'em. Who else did that kind of stuff and who is your favorite? :D
Charlie Russell & Will James.