Two Old Pards Ride Again (photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Two Old Pards Ride Again (photos)

Post by KirkD »

Today, I took my original Springfield 1888 .45-70 rifle made in 1891 and my newly acquired (as of today) Winchester Model 1876 .45-60 made in 1884 to the range to see what these old pards could do. Here's a photo of the two vintage rifles, with the Springfield up top and the '76 down below …

First up was the 125 year-old Winchester '76. My order of .45-60 brass from Rocky Mountain Cartridge has not arrived yet, so all I had was 5 cartridges using original .45-60 brass, loaded with 26.2 grains of 5744 under a 327 grain cast GC bullet. I decided to use all 5 cartridges for a 100 yard, 5-shot group. I rested the forearm stock across my shooting bag and took 5 slow shots, sighting through the notch of the original iron ladder sight. When I saw the results, I was pleased ….. a 100 yard, 5-shot group of only 1 & ¾"! Here's a photo of the target, with an original .45-60 black powder cartridge that must be about 100 years old ….

Next up was the 118 year-old Springfield 1888 .45-70 rifle. My friend and I took turns shooting it and adjusting the sights then I figured it was time to try a 5-shot group at 100 yards. You may recall that I posted a range report last week where I tried a 3-shot group at 100 yards and got an 11/16" group. The big question in my mind was whether this was a fluke, or could the old girl do it again. I was using a 500 grain SAECO plain base bullet over 30 grains of IMR 3031 topped off with ¼ rounded teaspoon of cream of wheat for filler. I took 5 careful shots through that beautiful Buffington sight and then strolled down to the 100 yard butts to take a look. By gum! The five shots formed a 1 & 1/16" group! Now I'm reading to fine tune my sights adjustment. Here's a photo of the target with one of my 500 grain rounds for comparison ….

Boys, these old pards demonstrated loud and clear that they ain't done ridin' yet. They can still hold their own against all those young tenderfoot modern leverguns. One of these old-timers is going to put some Whitetail venison in the freezer this coming fall.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Two Old Pards Ride Again (photos)

Post by win92 »

very nice Kirk!!
looks like you got a handle on the bullet casting. Nice to see a couple of old timers still able! :mrgreen:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks Kirk

I can only imagine the smile factor getting out with those friends.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

No wonder there ain't many buffler left.

Nice shootin!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

With that kind of shootin' from you three Old Pards I'de rather be with you then against you, great shootin' Kirk just shows what these ole girls can do when they want to.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Kirk,
Good shooting! It is almost amazing what the older rifles can still do. 8)
But why would a guy even wonder though. They were made in a time when the ability to hit what you were shooting at could make the difference between life or death. :shock:
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Wow, that is some great shooting KirkD! your one heck of a shot.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

WOW !! Lookin good. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

WOW!!!!

THAT IS AMAZING.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kirk,
I'm not surprised. I have always been a firm believer that the old rifles give up nothing to the new ones except a higher trajectory. Good shootin'!

Now, that '76 needs to be here in Pa. I have said it before here that an 1876 has always eluded me and yours shoots, so, I want it------NOW!

Good luck and take that '76 on your deer hunt---------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sixgun, I've been missing a .45-60 '76 ever since I traded my old one for an '86. Now that I got another one, it would be might tough to pry this one out of my hands! 8)
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, those are fine looking rifles.It looks like you just might have a handle on a couple of good loads. I sure do wish I had my trapoor that i traded off many years ago, it was a great shooting 45-70.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That large "thud" sound was my jaw hitting the floor - twice. First at the picture of those beautiful old girls, and then again seeing what they can still do! "WOW" just doesn't say enough. Congratulation Kirk - looking forward to more reports on that 1876 whne your new brass arrives! :D :mrgreen: 8)
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Holy smokes! That's fantastic. Kirk, if you ever get rid of either of those girls I think you'd need your head examined. Thanks for the pics.
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The gun sure proved it can still do the job. I'm only half as old as many of these guns people are shooting, but I sure as heck can't shoot anywhere near an INCH OR SO at 100 yards with open sights. Your shooting is fully as amazing as the gun; you should be proud of that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

AJMD429 wrote:The gun sure proved it can still do the job. I'm only half as old as many of these guns people are shooting, but I sure as heck can't shoot anywhere near an INCH OR SO at 100 yards with open sights. Your shooting is fully as amazing as the gun; you should be proud of that.
Of all the old guns I've owned, these two are my best shooters. I don't know how I can shoot so good with these two. It must be that a fellow just 'clicks' with certain guns. Last weekend, I was sighting in a 7mm Rem. Mag. for a friend, and it had a 9x scope. The groups I got with that were only a bit better than that old Springfield. I'm just amazed what that old .45-70 can do.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Simply fantastic!! thanks for sharing that. Both are beautiful rifles and true shooters.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Great shooting Kirk and I love that 1876. I'm looking to get another mold for my uberti. Did you use an RCBS mold and what kind of alloy are you using for bullets. Hondo1892
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

hondo1892 wrote:Great shooting Kirk and I love that 1876. I'm looking to get another mold for my uberti. Did you use an RCBS mold and what kind of alloy are you using for bullets. Hondo1892
The cast bullets I am using are left over from my previous '76 I sold about 3 years ago. Another fellow cast them for me and I don't know the mould he used, but I do know they are fairly soft ... around 11 BHN. They also have a gas check. Since then, I've bought my own mould ... a plain base one that drops 300 grain bullets, but I've not cast any bullets with it yet and do not know how they will shoot.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sweet Rifles and excellent shooting.The cartridge reloading sure didn't hurt none either. 8)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's wonderful......I'd be lucky to duplicate that group with my scout scoped 1895GS :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think Kirk makes the case that the old guns at 100 yds with iron sights cannot really be outdone with the new ones with a scope.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Impressive - informative - great photos as always - and terrific shooting! Thanks, Kirk.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Congrats on getting two old guns to shoot so well Kirk :D

How come you ended up on 26.2grns of powder, seems an odd amount?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Thanks for the report Kirk, great shooting there :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

glad to see your back in the '76 business.
how about some details on the '76?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

1988rrc wrote:how about some details on the '76?
I will be sending away for a Cody letter, but it is a standard configuration '76 with a 28" round barrel in .45-60. According to Madis, its serial number puts in in the middle of 1884. It is an honest gun that has not been messed with. The rear sight is a ladder 1876 sight. It is a well-used gun, but still in good shape and it was obviously taken care of. I'm glad to have it.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Slow, heavy, accurate... deadly.

Fast, light, miss? Phooey. :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Excellent shooting Kirk!.. Oh to have even my 50 year old eyes back again... The 76 is off the scale...Both for beauty and accuracy..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Ben, I don't shoot that well with my other guns and I think I know why these two shoot real well. First, the rear sight is significantly further away from my eyes, so it is not as blurry. Second, the front sight is also further away, making it sharper.

I sure am glad to have a '76 once again. I didn't know how much I would miss one until after I'd sold the one I used to have. This time, I'm hanging on to it.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

KirkD,
To put those groups into perspective,our gun club some of us shoot competion and a few of us go to Camp Perry,OH to shoot at the
National Level.
One of our unwritten rules/requirements our club shooters have
is you need to have your gun with match handloadded ammo on a
bench shoot 1 inch groups with your open sights..To be competitive once you get on the firing line off the bench in all positions you need a gun to group that well so you can do your part from there.
Now lets think about that,were shooting for example NMA custom
rifles and Colt Match Grade rifles fine tuned to the max allowed comp limits,only the best very time consuming handloads etc. and you are hanging right in there with a 100+year old gun.Your groups look like
somthing my Winchester M70 .243 w/3x9 scope shoots(sometimes)
Boy, would that be a hoot to have you show up at one of our events
and say men make room for a gun that is real quality and really shoots. :D The guys would freak.
Keep going I want to see how far you can take this?
.5-.75 MOA??????????????? You impress me SIR!!! (Dead eye Kirk) Keep at it. :mrgreen:
YOU DA MAN
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Madman, that is very interesting and encouraging. I've only got two bullets left, so I'll have to have a casting session in the next few weeks. Then I want to move to the 200 yard range and see what the old Springfield will do.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Cannot wait to see results.Best of skill.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Kirk, as someone else said............that is absolutely AMAZING!!!! Someone had to've cared WELL for the bores on those old charcoal-burners, by Goomya! And I'm sure your handloading contributed as well. Good on ya! jd45
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Absolutely Amazing....Our own Mr. R.T. Hare!!!!
"The firing was done by Mr. R.T Hare of Springfield Armory who has the enviable distinction, so far as is known, of being the only person in the world who has hit the 'Bull's-Eye' six feet in diameter at 2,500 yards with three different rifles, and who has ever fired at and hit so small a target as that described in this report at 3,200 yards.
In comparison with this, all other so-called 'long range firing' pales into insignificance. The gun was held under the arm, a muzzle rest only being used."
Guess which one Mr. Hare used?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Very nice Kirk! But you're giving me a complex! Even pictures of targets you take look better than my gun pictures! Man you do wonderful photos!-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

madman4570
I wouldn't be surprised if ole Dead Eye Kirk there will burn one in pretty soon...Dang...He's got 3 in one hole already!... Course there's always the STINKIN flyer!
It's always a treat to see the oldies prove themselves...A couple of years ago I scoped a 36" barrel Remington Rolling Block 50-70 made in 1872-3 to test my handloads for it.. Using indexed cast bullets( which Kirk hasn't stooped to :wink: ) and custom length cases (also indexed) and IMR 4350, I shot a 100 yd. 5 shot 1" center to center group..When you subtract the bullet diameter it turns out to be a sub 1/2" group..That was a NY State Militia contract model...Nothing like the fine Winchester barrels...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jd45 wrote:Kirk, as someone else said............that is absolutely AMAZING!!!! Someone had to've cared WELL for the bores on those old charcoal-burners, by Goomya! And I'm sure your handloading contributed as well. Good on ya! jd45
Funny thing is... Deep rifling and slow velocities coupled with a proper twist means accuracy with even a "marginal" bore by today's standards...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Thanks for the showing of your beautiful lever-action rifles and the loads that you used! :mrgreen:

I just returned this weekend from an outing to the range, and took along (with others, of course! ) my 76, in 45-75 caliber. She too, has a 28" barrel. If you recall I was having some tumbling bullets at about 1411 fps. I changed powder to 5744 and started at 19.2 grains with an average velocity of 994.5 fps and then 22.2 grains with an average velocity of 1132 fps. Both topped off with a 323gr FP lead bullet. Do to a pretty stiff crosswind, about the only good thing was getting the chronograph results.

I do not use gas check bullets or the stuffing you add on top of the powder, so those are interesting options to look into.

Thanks for the challenge! :D

Cheers,
Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

okdee, that was interesting info about your chronograph results for those loads. It is always interesting to hear how different loads do for these old obsolete calibers.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nath wrote:Congrats on getting two old guns to shoot so well Kirk :D

How come you ended up on 26.2grns of powder, seems an odd amount?

Nath.
Not sure if caught my Q Kirk so I bumped it up again.

Good shooting Kirk, I won't be pinching from your garden thats for sure!

Nath :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nath, I saw your question earlier, but completely forget to respond. My apologies. I was looking through the load development for my first '76 and saw why I had chosen 26.2 grains of 5744. I had been experimenting around and found that in the Rocky Mountain case, 26.2 grains of 5744 gave very close to original black powder velocities. It gives a bit lower in the original balloon head cases, because their volume is slightly greater. All of my shooting will be done with the Rocky Mountain cases when they arrive, so I'll probably be sticking with that load.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That figures, I had it in my head that you had plucked the figure out of a book or somewhere.
It didn't click for me you have been mess'n around these cart's before :roll: Must pay more attention Nath!

You do make it look so easy Kirk, I am struggling to get some 308 Speers 170grn to shoot out a free floated Rem 700 on bl-c2 and you turn up with some real guns from before my gramp's time and blow us out the water! Good man :D

Nath :oops:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

That is true, soul-filling satisfaction.

Unless you're hunting mice at 100 yards, either rifle will do it's part if you do yours, and obviously you can.

Cat