Should you buy a 9422?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Should you buy a 9422?

Post by Nath »

Well hell yes!
Dug mine out yesterday so a friend and I could tackle a small hilly farm that is plagued with hundreds of rabbits. My friend was shooting his bolt BSA and together we pulled of some fantastic shots (not telling you about the misses, they are boring), the 9422 was an easy match for the bolt gun.
The little 22 is an amazing little cartridge, we were pushing them out to 200yds in a wind and getting within a few inch of rabbits!
Using a range finder it soon became apparent that shots upto 140yds were the optimum shootable distance and after that things start to get a little unpredictable but that is still a good way for that little bullet on small rabbit don't you think ?

My best shot of the day was an off hand shot at 128yds lasered with a CCI standard solid in a left to right 10mph wind gusting !

Can a 9422 shoot ? Oh yes :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Should you buy a 9422?

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath, I have been thinking lately that I NEED a bolt action .22, scoped and silenced. :?
Most of my hunting these last few months has been in gun catalogs :oops:
The keeper has now given me and junior permission to shoot rabbits and such all over the estate. :D
Well I zeroed the 9422 with a 4x40 scope and she shot pretty well, however I just plain don't like scopes, so Saturday I took it off and zeroed it in with the standard open sights.
Well my 60 year old eyes are not what they once were but in good light I was hitting my mark as well as when it was scoped. I also found that it was smack on at 60 yds with sub sonics and without changing the sights bang on at 30yds with CB longs.
Whilst doing all this shooting I started to think,why the heck would I NEED a bolt action! The 9422 is so slick and easy to carry and it can take rabbits at the sort of range I like to shoot.
I rarely shoot at rabbits past about 80 yds now but years ago my longest kills on magpies were a measured 138 yds. and that was with a unscoped BSA b/a I even killed a rabbit at 120 yds with my 1873 Uberti .22 a couple of years ago.
As for needing a silencer, I use CB longs for a lot of close range stuff and sub sonics HP for the rest.
I'm going to try some sort of peep sight if I get the 30/30 and perhaps put one on both my 9422s as well. :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

game keeper wrote:Nath, I have been thinking lately that I NEED a bolt action .22, scoped and silenced. :?
The keeper has now given me and junior permission to shoot rabbits and such all over the estate. :D
Well I zeroed the 9422 with a 4x40 scope and she shot pretty well, however I just plain don't like scopes, so Saturday I took it off and zeroed it in with the standard open sights.
Well my 60 year old eyes are not what they once were but in good light I was hitting my mark as well as when it was scoped. I also found that it was smack on at 60 yds with sub sonics and without changing the sights bang on at 30yds with CB longs.
Whilst doing all this shooting I started to think,why the heck would I NEED a bolt action! The 9422 is so slick and easy to carry and it can take rabbits at the sort of range I like to shoot.
I rarely shoot at rabbits past about 80 yds now but years ago my longest kills on magpies were a measured 138 yds. and that was with a unscoped BSA b/a I even killed a rabbit at 120 yds with my 1873 Uberti .22 a couple of years ago.
As for needing a silencer, I use CB longs for a lot of close range stuff and sub sonics HP for the rest.
I'm going to try some sort of peep sight if I get the 30/30 and perhaps put one on both my 9422s as well. :)
An old friend owned my 9422 for a few years from new before he packed up shooting. I knew what it was capable of like the time I watched him shoot a running fox repeatedly striking the fox about five times out of seven or eight shots before it gave up and so I had to have it.
Have I missed a bolt or auto- NOPE!
Another thing is I don't have to alter the scope for different brands of ammo, just put's them there. Sure on paper there may be a difference but general rabbit and squirl shooting I can't tell!
Work the lever quick or slow the empty pings out and near silent cycling.
Silencers, hate em. If ever something spoiled the lines of a gun it's a silencer/moderator. Anyway I like making a noise, that way folk have no doubts whats going on and if they don't like it go else where :D Only this morning the farmer rang me to ask how we got on and said he could hear us shooting :D
Your long shots without scopes are something to be proud of, I take my hat of to ya :D
Am I correct in thinking you have a 9422 & 22m nowadays? If so you little b,,,, oh yeah this is Pacos web thingy :oops:

Now then friend, that there 30/30 and peep sight, there is a williams FP ( Win 94 AE) sitting here waiting for a gent of good tastes for a very small fee should you wish, loads of brass for nowt too. You may need a higher front sight if you use a peep!

Best wishes,

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath, I too dislike silencers, I have found a miss with a HV will sometimes make the bunny sit up to see what happened, only to be hit with the second shot.
The CB longs are fine for shooting treed squirrels and for knocking stuff of in the garden.

I wish I could still shoot as well as I once did but sadly my eyesight is nowhere near as good now. I did find the scope a real asset in bad light but it just didn't seem right, it made my 9422 feel like a Howitzer.
I'm not sure what sight to go for on the 30/30 but it would be good to find a type that I could
use on my 9422 and 9422M too. Your Williams may be a contender for the 30/30, does it fit a top ejector as well as the AE ?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Not sure GK!

Come on fellers, does a Williams Fool Proof peep for a AE 94 fit a top ejector?

My FP Peep screws into the scope mount holes on a AE model which I fear ain't there on a Top eject !?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Williams makes a FP for both the side mount and top mount Win 94s. I've always used the side mount versions with excellent results. Never used a top mount version so I can't say too much about them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have enjoyed the stories and recounting of shots. I'm looking forward to hunting season already here. The 1897 marlin in .22 will have to do as I don't own a 9422. thanks again for the post. Always love them from across the pond.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Three cheers :D :D :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[does a Williams Fool Proof peep for a AE 94 fit a top ejector?]

Yes and No, sir.

The peeps meant for the AE have attachment holes/screws, on each edge (right/left) of the top of it's base, which are meant to catch/engage factory D/T'd holes atop the rear of the M94AE action side rails for the rear scope mount base.

The AE peep can be used on a top-eject M94, but the top of the receiver rails will need to be D/T'd to accept the attachment screws that should have been included with the sight.

Receiver peeps meant for top-ejector M94's are all side-mount types, requiring two D/T'd holes in the upper rear left receiver wall for mounting.

So, you see, the peep for either model can fit the other model - but will require a little gunsmith work in the form of drilling/tapping the rifle for the attachment holes in the proper relative postiions.

Williams makes the two variations available so that the end users don't have to do any gunsmithing to fit them, as they are a simple screwdriver ops to install, provided the proper sight is matched to it's proper rifle.

Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Nath and Game Keeper - I'm a huge fan of tang sights. I like the Marbles as they have windage as well as elevation adjustments. I

think they help weak eyes as they function as an eye diopter and help the eye focus through and on the front sight. A low(er) front

sight increases their long range effectiveness. I enclosed a few pictures. I have them on most everything I shoot. They fold down

for transport and storage. My problem isn't my eyes, it's my memory!! I make up cards and tape them to the stocks so I know what

each distance setting is for that particular rifle. Kind of a bonehead way to do it but it works for me. Just launching an opinion!!

Hope this helps some. Wind

Click on the photos to enlarge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Wind wrote:Nath and Game Keeper - I'm a huge fan of tang sights. I like the Marbles as they have windage as well as elevation adjustments. I

think they help weak eyes as they function as an eye diopter and help the eye focus through and on the front sight. A low(er) front

sight increases their long range effectiveness. I enclosed a few pictures. I have them on most everything I shoot. They fold down

for transport and storage. My problem isn't my eyes, it's my memory!! I make up cards and tape them to the stocks so I know what

each distance setting is for that particular rifle. Kind of a bonehead way to do it but it works for me. Just launching an opinion!!

Hope this helps some. Wind

Click on the photos to enlarge
Thanks fellers. I bet the tang sights don't need higher front sights too!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I have several 22 rifles. Including some very nice Kimber's. However every time I go squirrel hunting or just fun shooting I always grab the 9422. It is light, short, and fast handling. And it shoots accurately enough to do the job. Is the 9422 as accurate as some of the higher end 22 rifles?? No-of course it is not. However is it accurate enough to do the job?? Yes-and every time.

I personally like the target style adjustable receiver peep sight with the twilight hunting peep. Ths sight is very accurate, very adjustable(quickly), and durable. No fiber optic junk for me. Tom.

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Wind,
Looks like the stuff I had on my Silhouette rifle back in my competition days.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

game keeper wrote:Nath, I have been thinking lately that I NEED a bolt action .22, scoped and silenced. :?

It just occurred to me how rare it must be to see the "sleeping Mexican" birdbaths over there!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Does one need a special license for a silencer in the UK?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

YK, it does need to be entered on your licence before you can aquire one so yes but no not a special licence. No extra hoops to jump through than normal.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

An awesome little gun!
They look great and they shoot great too !

Should you buy one-----HECK YA
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I love mine:

ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Me thinks I'd like to have one of those little trapper models, I've already got the rifle and boy does it shoot.