Want a Puma 92 saddle ring

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pullnshoot25
Levergunner 1.0

Want a Puma 92 saddle ring

Post by pullnshoot25 »

OK, here is the deal. I have a Puma 92 SS .44Mag and I want to put a saddle ring on it. Unfortunately, I cannot find any sites that give information on how to install a saddle ring. I may be able to get someone to make me a SS ring and stud/staple but I am unsure if it is welded to the receiver, drilled and tapped, etc.

Any ideas or know-how on this topic?
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Want a Puma 92 saddle ring

Post by Gun Smith »

Saddle rings and studs are available for around $20.00 on the net. It would be a simple matter to have the receiver drilled and tapped for the stud. There are two different thread sizes being sold now. One size fits most all early lever Winchesters with 1/4x30 thread. The other fits later Winchester 8x40 thread. I would suggest the smaller threaded stud.
sharps1863
Levergunner 1.0

Post by sharps1863 »

Try here
http://www.e-gunparts.com and Do a search on their site for "saddle ring" . They list one for a little over 3 dollars with 8-40 threads
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My new Rossi 92 has it's saddle ring attached to a U-loop that has both/two legs attached to the receiver side separately - presumeably riveted over on the inside like the gennies were.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon May 18, 2009 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Not to hijack this thread but I've been trying to find one for my Marlin 94 that replaces safety.

Anybody know where to get one of those?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
pullnshoot25
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pullnshoot25 »

Can't seem to find a stainless steel stud. Perhaps I need to call Puma and see what's up with that.

In any case, if and when I get a saddle ring, where do I drill the hole? Is there some template I can use or do you have to look at old photos and sort of eyeball it?
six_gunz
Levergunner

Post by six_gunz »

2ndovc wrote:Not to hijack this thread but I've been trying to find one for my Marlin 94 that replaces safety.

Anybody know where to get one of those?

jb 8)

Clyde Ludwig makes a blued safety replacement. You can D&T it for a saddle ring.
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylo ... safety.htm

I made some stainless replacements for my Guide Gun and D&T'd for the saddle ring mentioned above from e gunparts.

I reblued those saddle rings from e gunparts with Brownell's Oxpho-Blue

I used a slotting saw on a Bridgeport to make it look like a screw...
I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!
pullnshoot25
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pullnshoot25 »

Anyone have an idea where to drill for the stud?
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

The type you're likely asking about is pretty much the original two-prong Win 92 design that is available on many EMF and older Interarms imported versions of your gun. The 92 type design is neither welded or tapped--but uses a "staple" that has bent tangs on both ends--inserted into small, non-tapped holes. To locate one (SSs I've found are hard to find), give EMF a call-- http://www.emf-company.com. Also, M&M Gunsmithing (www.mmgunsmithing.com --someone can chime in here on the exact name/contact...if EMF doesn't have the part, they know these people) has been the official warranty center for Rossis. Nate Kiowa Jones (aka Steve Young) is one of the acknowledged 92 experts, specializing in tuning Rossis..give him a call.- http://www.stevesgunz.com.

If you don't care about originality (per the original 92 bent-end staple design) one of the Model 94 threaded stud types another poster mentioned works well-and still looks like an original Win, albeit a sister model. Last but not least, many 92 shooters don't like the saddle ring and have removed them (and some even the staple).-- not liking the clack, receiver wear or feeling the SR gets in their way --.so check/ask this site and others such as http://www.sassnet.com, a popular CAS site for someone willing to let go of theirs. I'm with you: I like the thing, adding authenticity (about 95% of the original Win carbines were so equipped), and just tie a leather latigo strip (EMFs have come with for awhile) if wear or noise becomes a concern.

Either style is best accomplished by a smith IMO. -- to get it "just so" -- unless you're comfortable doing your own work..in which case, re location, find a saddle ring'd Rossi, Armi Sport (Cimarron, Taylors) or original Win 92 or Win 94 to template/measure.