Found my "holy grail"!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Found my "holy grail"!

Post by marlinman93 »

Took my Winnie 1885 in .30-30 out for a test run this weekend, and while at a friend's place I was presented with a Ballard that a mutual friend wanted to sell. I was a bit interested, as I am by any Ballard, but more so with this one due to the original midrange sights, and double set triggers. Then the real clincher came out....a box of .32-20 Western ammo!
Now I like the .32-20, and the ammo was neat, but when the guy told me the .32-20 ammo was for the Ballard I almost fainted! I've only read in old catalogs, etc. that Ballard #2 Hunters were offered in .32-20, but never, ever seen one, or knew of anyone else who had. Sure enough, I opened the action and dropped a .32-20 right into the chamber!
We spent the next few minutes tossing lead downrange until eventually I had to ask if it was for sale. The owner told me that was why he brought it; that our mutual friend had told him I might be interested!
So, after long ago giving up on ever seeing one, I'm now the proud owner of a matching numbers Ballard #2 in .32-20WCF, with DST, and some nice sights. Even has the correct centerfire only firing pin, as a .32-20 should have! Not a pristine gun, but I wouldn't have cared if it was a rusty hulk. It's far from that, and shoots great, so I'm pretty darn happy overall!

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Found my "holy grail"!

Post by C. Cash »

Good going Val! Beautiful piece of history there in one of the funnest calibers. Congratulations! :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

That is quite the Ballard, congratulations!
Now what is the next holy grail :mrgreen:
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm happy for you. It's not everyday someone comes across a real prize.
Old Law Dawg
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

That's a beauty! Congratulations on Your find, I'm glad You found one after searching so long. :)
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Congratulations! I think you recently mentioned hoping to find one, but not ever really expecting to. I think this one found you!

Enjoy!

Mike
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Very nice and quite the proud owner I see. Now, I have a very stupid question. I have always been around a lot of firearms, old and new. But to my knowledge, I have never seen an old single shot center fire rifle (1885, Ballard or anything) at any of our shops or gun shows. I am in Florida and have always wondered about that. Why?? All of the old photos I have seen show only DB shotguns and long barreled ones at that. If anyone is into those old shotguns, we have racks of them around here. I know Florida was (and is) thick country and have wondered if that was the deciding factor.

Again - nice find!
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bruce wrote:Very nice and quite the proud owner I see. Now, I have a very stupid question. I have always been around a lot of firearms, old and new. But to my knowledge, I have never seen an old single shot center fire rifle (1885, Ballard or anything) at any of our shops or gun shows. I am in Florida and have always wondered about that. Why?? All of the old photos I have seen show only DB shotguns and long barreled ones at that. If anyone is into those old shotguns, we have racks of them around here. I know Florida was (and is) thick country and have wondered if that was the deciding factor.

Again - nice find!
I think you may have answered your own question Bruce. The singleshot was more suited to open western country, and often even if purchased back East, they migrated out West with travelers. They aren't extremely common anywhere these days, but it hasn't been all that many years ago when I found them much easier than today.
As Mike mentioned, this one really found me, and not long after I figured I'd never find it!
By the way, the Win. 1885 in .30-30 really shot extremely well with almost any ammo I tried, but was overshadowed by this purchase unfortunately! The Hi Wall will be my deer rifle this fall for Oregon Mulies!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Very very nice :!:

I am kinda fond of the 32-20 myself !

By the way what ammunition are you trying in the 30-30 1885 ?
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

Congratulations on finding your holy grail. It's a beauty.

I took delivery today of one of my holy grails, a Savage 340 in .30-30. It's a real beauty, and I got it for only $250. After searching for one for years, this one just fell into my lap. It just happens that way sometimes.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Brian in FL wrote:Congratulations on finding your holy grail. It's a beauty.

I took delivery today of one of my holy grails, a Savage 340 in .30-30. It's a real beauty, and I got it for only $250. After searching for one for years, this one just fell into my lap. It just happens that way sometimes.

I have a 340. Paid $60 for it because the 222 chamber was screwed up. Rechambered it to 223 and it shoots better than I can.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Congrats Vall!

That sounds like just the ticket for a bit of squirrel population control. What fun...

I am starting to warm up the the 32-20, having previously had no interest. I would have a tough time passing up a nice shooter SS like you found.

Good luck with the 1885 this fall. I'm still sifting through everything trying to figure out my deer slayer(s). I have a Utah mulie tag and will do CA as well. I think my 45-70 roller may be going to Utah.
Chad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

6pt-sika wrote:Very very nice :!:

Everything I shot in the 1885 was my home grown ammo. Mostly 150 gr. cast lead .311" with 3031 powder. I had a bunch loaded up from my old .30-30 barreled Contender that I knew was lighter at around 1800-1900 fps.
But I also shoit some factory Rem. 150 yellow/green box stuff. Pretty amazing how the Winnie seemed to just shoot well with all of it, but best results were with the cast load around 1800fps.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

nice going Vall, I am happy for you.

^
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!!!!

I love the .32-20 and have a diying need for one in a classy single shot!!

That's a beauty!! Congrats on such a rare find!! I know it has a good home!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:Very very nice :!:

Everything I shot in the 1885 was my home grown ammo. Mostly 150 gr. cast lead .311" with 3031 powder. I had a bunch loaded up from my old .30-30 barreled Contender that I knew was lighter at around 1800-1900 fps.
But I also shoit some factory Rem. 150 yellow/green box stuff. Pretty amazing how the Winnie seemed to just shoot well with all of it, but best results were with the cast load around 1800fps.
When I get home in late june let me know I can send you some of the Ranch Dog 311-165's to try if you like !

That bullet with 21 or 22 grains of XMP5744 has shot well in just about all of my lever 30-30's . Oh yeah for best results I us the CCI200 primer .
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D Lucky !! :D
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

SWEET!!!!! A friend of mine has a Stevens Favorite in 32-20 and it is a joy to shoot I keep looking for one like it but keep coming up empty handed. Congrats on a great find. :mrgreen:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JReed wrote:SWEET!!!!! A friend of mine has a Stevens Favorite in 32-20 and it is a joy to shoot I keep looking for one like it but keep coming up empty handed. Congrats on a great find. :mrgreen:

A "Favourite" would be great !

But I still have thoughts of one day getting a nice Stevens 44 1/2 in 32-40 8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Oh man, I'm jealous now. (no--happy for you!) As many old Ballards etc. I see, I too have never seen one in 32-20. I did see a Lo-Wall in 32-20 out in Colorado last year but the bore was a sewer pipe.

Great, thanks Vall, Now I'm on a quest for a 32-20 SS. Oh BTW, Can I have it? :D -------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Let me amend that not a favorite but a 44 I have been looking at a Favorite for the kids it must be on my brain. I just found a Stevens 44 on GB http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =129184096 of course I dont have that sort of cash. :(
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

Very nice, congrats on your new addition
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

most Beautiful!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

JReed wrote:Let me amend that not a favorite but a 44 I have been looking at a Favorite for the kids it must be on my brain. I just found a Stevens 44 on GB http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =129184096 of course I dont have that sort of cash. :(
JR,
That's way too high for a Stevens 44 in .32-20! I see them for much less in similar condition. Heck, I gave less than that starting price for my factory engraved 44 Stevens in .32-20!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent!!! Congratulations on a great find!!! :mrgreen: 8) :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote:
JReed wrote:Let me amend that not a favorite but a 44 I have been looking at a Favorite for the kids it must be on my brain. I just found a Stevens 44 on GB http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =129184096 of course I dont have that sort of cash. :(
JR,
That's way too high for a Stevens 44 in .32-20! I see them for much less in similar condition. Heck, I gave less than that starting price for my factory engraved 44 Stevens in .32-20!

Alright now this just ain't kind !

There I thought you were a friend and you go and post one like this making me want one even more :lol:
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

AJMD429 wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
+1 :mrgreen: 8)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

What a find! That old 32-20 rifle has a lot of stories to tell, I'm sure.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Congratulations on a great find.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Congratulations! That's a superb find of a scarce classic.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

B E A U T Y !! Wonderful piece. Another weapon I wish could talk, and tell us the road it has traveled to get to you. I'm sure it is quite a story.

Congrats!

:mrgreen:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The seller told me he's owned this gun for almost 45 years! Wasn't a family heirloom, as he bought it from a friend back in the 1960's. Said he wanted to sell it, as he has nobody to pass it on to, but wanted it to "have a good home". I told him it would be amongst "friends" and not sit in the safe and just get looked at occasionally! He actually called me Sunday evening and wanted to know if I was still happy with my purchase! That's the first time that's ever happened to me after a gun purchase!
I'm going to be busy reloading ever piece of .32-20 brass I own for the next week, and shoot the heck out of the old girl!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

6pt-sika wrote:
marlinman93 wrote:
JR,

Alright now this just ain't kind !

There I thought you were a friend and you go and post one like this making me want one even more :lol:
Yes a most unkind thing to do MM. :lol: . When I get in the market for another gun I will give you a yell to see if there are any in your area for a decent price.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

What a gun!! :mrgreen: