OT-Anybody got a USFA Rodeo II? Opinions wanted

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Anybody got a USFA Rodeo II? Opinions wanted

Post by SmokeEater2 »

OK, I know the US Firearms revolvers are quality made but,what about the Rodeo II model,Are the only differences the finish and grips ?
My reason for asking is this, I currently use a couple of Cimarron SA's for rough use when I'm cutting brush,removing rocks (It's Arkansas,We got ROCKS.) fixing fence etc. or any time I'm doing something where I don't want to mess up my beloved Colt. The Cimmy's are OK but they ain't made in the US and the Rodeo's are and for the price I was thinking that one of the Rodeo or Rodeo II model's might be just the ticket for this this kind of thing. And yes, I know Ruger's will take abuse and I sometimes carry a Single-Six but I just like the classic SAA style better and the .45 is hard to beat for just about any task I can think of so, Anyone have any input on this particular model?

Thanks, Allen
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: OT-Anybody got a USFA Rodeo II? Opinions wanted

Post by Sixgun »

SmokeEater,
Yep, I agree on not taking a SA Colt for the dirty jobs. And you did answer your own question on the US firearms--quality. Whats the matter with a Ruger "New" Vacaro? Very similar to a SA Colt-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Sixgun, you know I completely forgot about the Ruger's. (I'm not real bright sometimes) I've never handled one of the Vaquero's but I'm sure they'd be tough enough for the job being Ruger's. Thanks for the reminder I'll see if I can find one around here to take a gander at.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The Rodeos I've seen, I think it is a II at the shop, are in every way the equal of the standard USFA SA but in the finish. It is a plain matte blue that is different. As it wears the gun will look very good indeed.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Thanks Hobie! I had wondered about the finish since I've not gotten to see one "in person" yet.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Just my 2 cents you understand, but I have a Premium Grade USFA SAA & LOVE it! I think you would love the Rodeo II as well. As far as the New Vaquero goes, to my way of thinking, it's NOT a SAA type in the strictest sense of the word, as I prefer the firing pin in the hammer. You stated you prefer the traditional SAA config, as do I. My vote is go with the Rodeo. A plus with all the USFA guns is they have the straight-taper, cone-shaped pin the original first gen. Colts had, which really impresses me. You won't be sorry! jd45
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I should add that I have a New Vaquero. It is a good gun. It is not a USFA/Colt in operation. Some will prefer one, some the other regardless of perceived quality.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hammerman »

I have the rodeo model and it is a good gun. I've got 2 other usfa's and they're great too. All three guns shoot right on and the fit on them is great. The rodeo's finish is just plain, but it looks better now that it's been worn.

Rugers are good, but I don't like their features. No half cock just ruined it for me.

You can't go wrong with any usfa gun.
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I bought one of the 1 of 50 USFA 3" Rodeo Storekeepers in 45 Colt last year and holy cats, I'm glad I did!

The Rodeo Storekeeper has the matte blue finish and it is one squared-away and put together firearm. Hands-down it is the nicest single action that I own, and certainly my favorite. I installed a lighter mainspring to lighten up the trigger pull and I could not be happier. The sight picture does not change when the hammer falls, and I kid you not, I have no trouble busting claybirds lying on their edges on the 25 yd berm with the Storekeeper.

I'm amazed at the matte blue finish on this thing. There's no turn line on it, despite maybe 700-720 rds through it.

I'm kinda saving up for another USFA. Worth every penny, IMO.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Someone over on the Singleactions forum took some lapping compound and a lead free cloth to a Rodeo and antiqued it. It came out looking exceptional. I've never warmed up to the phosphate/matte like finish, but what that guy did to his gave me pause. I'll try and find the link.

Edited: Here it is;

http://single-actions.phpbb3now.com/vie ... f=5&t=5338
Old Law Dawg
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

kimwcook wrote:Someone over on the Singleactions forum took some lapping compound and a lead free cloth to a Rodeo and antiqued it. It came out looking exceptional. I've never warmed up to the phosphate/matte like finish, but what that guy did to his gave me pause. I'll try and find the link.

Edited: Here it is;

http://single-actions.phpbb3now.com/vie ... f=5&t=5338

Thanks for that link He did a nice job on that one! And a Single action forum too. :)
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Noah Zark wrote:I bought one of the 1 of 50 USFA 3" Rodeo Storekeepers in 45 Colt last year and holy cats, I'm glad I did!

The Rodeo Storekeeper has the matte blue finish and it is one squared-away and put together firearm. Hands-down it is the nicest single action that I own, and certainly my favorite. I installed a lighter mainspring to lighten up the trigger pull and I could not be happier. The sight picture does not change when the hammer falls, and I kid you not, I have no trouble busting claybirds lying on their edges on the 25 yd berm with the Storekeeper.

I'm amazed at the matte blue finish on this thing. There's no turn line on it, despite maybe 700-720 rds through it.

I'm kinda saving up for another USFA. Worth every penny, IMO.

Noah

Noah, I believe You have the perfect packin' gun there! A 3" barrel with a full ejector strikes the perfect balance in my opinion. Nice looking revolver You have there. ( and yes,I am jealous. :) )
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I believe the Rodeo II is the matte nickle finish. I haven't actually seen one of those, but I have owned a
blued Rodeo for a few years now. For what use you describe I think the Rodeo is about perfect. I'd love a Colt
or a high dollar USFA, but for regular use I'll take the Rodeo. I "buffed" mine with a lead free cloth and it softened
the look of the finish. I also fit some Ivory Micarta grips to it. I love mine!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I never warmed to the blue'd Rodeo finish either, and have long felt that its true calling was as as an affordable base for an antique job on top of otherwise top drawer SA innards. Feel the same about the current Uberti base models like the Millenium ...if you're on a tighter (than any USFA or Colt) budget--great platform for some pre-aging w/o messing up a nice/newer polished gun--and to get rid of the flat black look while you're at it.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I've never handled one of the Vaquero's ]

SmokeEater2 - Please understand that a Ruger Vaquero and a Ruger New vaquero are NOT the same size guns !

The older Vaquero is larger, and the same size frame as the New Model .357 & .44 Mag Blackhawk have been since 1973.

The later New Vaquero has a smaller frame, like both the Old Model Ruger .357 three-screw's and the Colt SAA - and should be loaded to the same levels as a SAA.

That said, a USFA is a different breed of cat - you pay for the difference, but IMHO it's most likely worth the diff.