OT - The birdshead grip - how do you like it?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

OT - The birdshead grip - how do you like it?

Post by homefront »

This is kind of a continuation from my other thread,
viewtopic.php?t=1813
but I feel it should be a separate topic.
This grip intrigues me as being perfect for a concealed carry revolver, but I'd like to know how it shoots - comes to the hand, points, handles recoil, etc.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

In my opinion, the same as the old ' plow handle'. It's like the parts of the grip that don't contact the hand have been shaved off.

I don't own one at this time, but have shot them a considerable amount.
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...I've owned only one revolver with the birdshead grip. I didn't like it at all. Got rid of it at the first opportunity. It was a Ruger. That type of grip just doesn't feel or handle the way the regular grips do for me. Carried and handled too many of the regular gripped guns, and too old to change now.
...The only way for you to really know how they would work for you, is to buy one and use it for a while. There is room for different opinions about this subject.

...old goat
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

I had a Ruger 45 with a 5.5 inch barrel and liked it a lot. I do prefer the Uberti style a little more though.
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: OT - The birdshead grip - how do you like it?

Post by AmBraCol »

homefront wrote:This is kind of a continuation from my other thread,
viewtopic.php?t=1813
but I feel it should be a separate topic.
This grip intrigues me as being perfect for a concealed carry revolver, but I'd like to know how it shoots - comes to the hand, points, handles recoil, etc.
Miles Fortis let me play with his a bit back in '01 or '04. He wasn't there to ask so I didn't run anything through it but relatively mild loads. What I REALLY would like to know is if they handle stout loads well. I've got a Birdshead gripframe for my Ruger Vaquero, but haven't had a chance to install it yet. Anyway, shooting regular 45 colt ammo with Miles' sixgun I really liked the way it handled.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

homefront, AmBraCol,

For me personally I don't like them. I've handled both the Ruger type and the Uberti Cimmaron types with the hump and they just feel wrong to me. Nothing for my hands to hold on to. Could be I'm just an old fuddy duddy when it comes to the SA grip design, but that's just the way I see them.

Now having said that, there is a member of Handloads.com forum by the name of Bentbarrel who posted a year or so ago IIRC that he was shooting full house Ruger T/C loads through his and it was great. I'll take his word for it as I've no experience with them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mac45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mac45 »

Have two Vaquero's.
One birdshead, one regular.
Really like the birdshead, but if the loads get hot, I like the regular grips better. The birdshead seem like it rotates more under recoil than the regular ones. Not a big deal, just a personal preference
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I don't own a gun with them, but have shot friend's. I couldn't seem to get comfortable with them and much prefer the "regular" grips. You might want to try some before you buy.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I heard that Ruger is going to chamber the .44 Special in the Vaquero. That birdshead grip looks like it would hide better than a regular grip would, and it looks like it would roll in the hand. I thought it might be acceptable in a non-magnum gun, but wanted to hear it from yooz guys.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Awhile back, right before Ruger discontinued them, I was going to order a pair of consecutively serial numbered Birds Heads in .45 and use them for carry.......They really felt good in my hand, but I forget what happened; I suspect it was a matter of priority of some kind.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

FIFTEEN OR MORE YEARS AGO GARY OWEN [ THE 7th CAV LIVES...} OF EMF SENT ME ONE OF THEIR NEW PINKERTON MODEL [ I CALLED IT A SHERIFF'S MODEL AND THEY YELLED AT ME... L O L ...] 4" SAA 45'S WITH THE ROUND BUTT GRIP FRAME. IT LOOKED ODD AS ALL GITTOUT TO ME BUT IT HANDLED LIKE A CHARM IN DELIBERATE SHOOTING AND LOADS NEARING 1000FPS WITH 250gr SWC BULLETS WERE A PUSSYCAT TO SHOOT. THE ONLY THING I COULD NOT DO WAS POINT SHOOT THAT SA SIXGUN OUTTA THE HOLSTER. I THREW BULLETS EVERYWHERE BUT ON TARGET POINT SHOOTING IT. SO, I CALLED GARY OWEN BACK UP AND ASKED HIM TO SEND ME A NEW STANDARD GRIPFRAME AND STOCKS TO FIT IT. I INSTALLED THE NEW GRIPFRAME IN THAT DELIGHTFUL SAA 45 AND PROCEEDED TO HIT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT POINT SHOOTING FROM THE HOLSTER. IT BECAME MY FAVORITE SAA 45 CC GUN DURING THE WINTER AND IT STILL IS JUST THAT.
INCIDENTLY, THIS 4" 45 HAD ONE OF THE LAST GREAT WESTERN DEPUTY EJECTOR RODS AND HOUSINGS ON IT. THEY WORKED LIKE A CHAMP.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have a short Uberti with a bird's head grip, and for concealabilty and handling, these are great! :D

That said, I wouldn't put one on anything with a barrel longer than 4 inches or so - just wouldn't look right! :wink:
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

I didnt like the way it rotated with the short barrel and heavy loads, thats why I went with a birdhead grip and 5.5 inch barrel. That did a way with the rotating. Plus, as far as I knew, I was the only person with a Ruger birdhead and 5.5 inch barrel.

Sorry YK, I liked being different :D
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
stormspotter
Levergunner 2.0

Birdshead grip.

Post by stormspotter »

Instead of getting a Birdshead grip frame for my New Vaquero ,I thought about doing some rounding of the front and back corners of the grip frame.

There's a picture of one on rugerforum.com under Ruger revolvers - Sheriffs Model range report. The bottom edges have been rounded to the point where they look like they wouldn't print as bad.

If I could have figured out how to include the picture here I would have. :?
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat . . . . Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Instead of getting a Birdshead grip frame for my New Vaquero ,I thought about doing some rounding of the front and back corners of the grip frame.
I had the same thought. Now you have me wondering where I left the belt sander.

A while back I worked down these .41 Blackhawk stocks to make 'em fit my hand better. I used a wood rasp and sandpaper. Image
I'm very happy with the result, and since the rear heel of the grip doesn't contribute in any way (that I can tell), I'm going to grind that down too, maybe 1/4" or so. The aluminum shouldn't be difficult to work, and I'll keep the stocks on and work them to shape at the same time. I think I'll leave the front corner alone, since my ring finger hooks it there. I'll post pics when I'm done.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

My one bird's head experience was an Uberti .44-40 Regulator. I never could get comfortable with the grip so I swapped it for an 1860 Army grip. I wonder if it would "feel" better in a smaller caliber? :?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at