Are these prices here to stay??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Are these prices here to stay??

Post by rafter-7 »

Guns have gone through the roof, the kinda guns I like to own, have or are nearing the 5 figure mark... It just takes all the fun out of it... I have been racking my brain to find somthing to collect with style and correct lines to be a classic firearm so far nothing...

Is there anyone else saying... I am just not going to pay that much

my latest purchase was a low wall in 25/20 I would have never bought the gun but I had a hi wall 38/55 with the exact same options so I thought it would be neat to have a low wall set up the same

I guess what I am saying is the price I paid for the low wall was fair ...but... If i did not already have the hi wall I would have sent it back ... These guns have gone just too high its not fun anymore

Well my gun trading buddy says "Just be thankful for what you already have in your safe" I guess there is a lot of truth in that.

rant-off

rafter-7
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Are these prices here to stay??

Post by mescalero1 »

I know, I just hope the cost of components returns to a sne level.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I had a number of Winchester 94s, carbines and a few rifles... none of which I paid over $250 for prior to 2006... and in the interim, I've paid more'n twice that for 2 and that much for a couple of receivers that will become complete rifles when I get back into the fixin' mode! And those are likely to be the ONLY Winchester 94s I will ever own. Even though there are many variations that I don't have, and would like... but the todays prices just have me aghast!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

both valid points!! about 8 months ago I found my "holy grail" in mint cond. that ended a 30+ year trek and lets just say collecting has not been the same since. I still enjoy shooting.. But to go and find the latest and greatest is just not there.

^
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have a lot of guns. Each time I see gun and I get a feeling I need it, I think, what does it offer that I don't already have, nothing. Sometimes it is just too much money. It is a nice feeling, don't fight it. Enjoy what you have.:D
"That'll Be The Day"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

rangerider,
You're right. time to start enjoying what I have, finishing projects, and walking through glade and glen, with gun and dog.
When I look south from the rim, it is 56 miles across that valley to the next mountain range, and not a homo sapien out there.
Many years of hard work, Singapore calling in the middle of the night, night flight to some place with an unpronouceable name, with an unfathomable problem, and the next disaster while I am in the air from the last one.
I earned it.
I'm taking it.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Wow, nice guns! With levers too!!!

My High Wall (circa 2003, Winchester marked -- yet "Made in Japan") is also a .38-55, but she doesn't have a l'il sister yet...

Need some ca$h???

You could always sell that pink picnic table!!!

I'm thinking you'd fetch top dollar in a few locales... (Not that I know where that is, or that there's anything wrong with that...) :lol:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am in the preliminary stage of looking for a .44. A wheelgun or a lever, either would be fine. Convincing the Wife will be the hard part. I want one just because I have never had that caliber, and it would complete my having everything I want and a lot more than I need.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Old No 7
I bet you know just where to sell that table, I bet you even have a sucker in mind, trying to make a middle man buck?
I would do it also, I just can't think of anyone that would want it, not too much demand in N.M.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Are they here to stay? Yes and no IMO. How's that for an answer? :lol:

Look at what happened to muscle cars and old cars in general. The rare stuff has always been comparatively expensive in relation to the run of the mill stuff. As the rare and primo pieces got picked up, more people looked for base models due to price or to build a clone of a rare version driving up the price of the plain Janes. That left the ugly sisters (4 doors, wagons, etc) who experienced a surge in price because they were still affordable and the buyer pool continued to grow. Then the speculators came in and drove the prices through the roof (no pun intended).

Prices are starting to come back down a little due to the economy and the speculators who held on too long wanting that last dollar are having to sell at a loss. Will this drive the prices down even more? Maybe, but they'll never be back down to what they were.

The same thing is happening with old/discontinued big name firearms. The bubble will eventually burst but more than likely the prices won't come back down to what they were even 2-3 years ago.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I think AWP has his finger on the pulse of things just below the surface.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I am trying to find the path between needing and wanting, wanting , wanting it really, really really bad. Constant meditation.

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

1930s and older centerfire winchesters with any condition at all are starting at 5000 and going up from there.. throw in a few options and 85% cond. and boom you are tickling the five figure mark. I have been collecting since I can remember with my dad could I be burning out??? Heck I remember my dad buying a smoking 86 cc frame in 45/90 for 950.00 that same gun would fetch just under 20,000 now.these prices are taking the average guy out of the game!

^
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I don't even look at stuff like that, I 'm not going to shell out that much cash.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Mint condition older collectables have cost a lot for a long time. But increased prices are slamming folks who want even the newer guns that we enjoy, making it hard, especially for some younger guy with 3 or 4 kids, a lot of bills to pay etc., to acquire what he needs and wants. In 1986, (not too many millinnea ago) I got my 1886 Browning in the standard grade, got it NIB, the year they were issued. Paid 479.00 bucks. Got the Carbine in standard grade about 3 years later, paid 675.00 bucks for that. If I were to go looking now, NIB, I'd hate to think what I would plunk down. I try to really be thankful for even the least of what I have. Sure like the butt stock on that Lo Wall.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I like the vintage rimfires, but have seen prices reach levels that make no rational sense to even consider buying some of them. I think there is a flood of new collectors looking for a place to put their cash besides the stock market.

Remington 121's are getting to be as expensive as Winchester 61's.

I've seen Marlin 39A Mountie's sell for $800-$1000 lately and scratch my head because nice Model 1897's and 1892's can be had for the same.

90% (post war) S&W Model 17's selling for as much as pre-war Colt Officer's Models, in the same condition.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

I'm getting much pickier now; I have certain guns that I want to get for certain things, i.e. a Super Blackhawk Hunter .44 Mag for hunting. I just keep looking and when I find them I'll get them, but you're right, the allure of the 'latest and greatest' isn't that great anymore.

I still lust over big bore N-frames, though! That'll never change! :mrgreen:
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Don't confuse asking prices with actual value. Very few of those guns sell at those inflated prices. They can ask those prices all they want, but that doesn't change the actual value. Actual value will be the prices they actually sell at, and I don't see a whole lot of Winchesters selling on GB and GA. If you want a different perspective on what the value of your arms are, take one to a gun show and see what the same dealers are willing to offer you for it. Real value will be something a little higher than that.

As for the buying part. I figure that this will be part of my retirement. So a part of my savings goes into this sport. I had a pretty good portfolio in the stock market about 3 years ago, and now I have less than half that value. My safe value though has continued to offset the losses in the market. And yes, when the time comes, I will pick a couple of favorites, give a couple to the kids, and all the rest will sell.

Ed
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

jdad wrote:I like the vintage rimfires, but have seen prices reach levels that make no rational sense to even consider buying some of them. I think there is a flood of new collectors looking for a place to put their cash besides the stock market.

90% (post war) S&W Model 17's selling for as much as pre-war Colt Officer's Models, in the same condition.
It wouldn't surprise me on the first point and doesn't surprise me on the second.

Gearing up for a range trip tomorrow and I found a hang tag in the bottom of my safe from a S&W M28 I used to have. 3-4 years ago I found a guy selling his S&W collection at a show. He had a pair of 6" M28s, one like new, the other like new with box. Got his number, went home and counted my pennies, called him the following Monday to make an offer and got both for $600 (tag price added up to over $700 IIRC). Around here nowadays a single M28 in that condition with box will bring over $500. The price on the hang tag I found in the safe? $339...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have a Model 28, from the Texas Department of Public Safety ( state cops )
I don't think you could get it away from me.
Same with the Model 19 from the Navajo Tribal Police.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

sounds like you are buying investment grade rifles and if so, don't worry about the cost because whatever it is, it will go higher as time goes by.

You could buy a share in Bershire Hathaway for $30,000 (or whatever it is now) or buy 400 shares of Vanguard, and you're still investing wisely.

Personally I buy guns to shoot and hunt with, and they get trashed, so I don't really care about the collectibles, and would never buy one, because I don't know enough. But if you do, don't let rising prices scare you off because it's a good sign.

Think of it this way, soon your money won't be worth anything, might as well get something concrete for it now.

And, what will the values of our guns be if Obama passes something limiting each of us to only one or two (one shotgun is all a person needs!)
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."