pricing of a Savage 99CD

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

pricing of a Savage 99CD

Post by iceman »

I have a chance on a mod 99 in 308 win. CD version with a medallion near the toe of the stock on the left side with an Indian head and Savage arms written. I have been offered a price of $480 cdn (-20% for usd) otd. Any idea when this was made? (no serial number right now) Bluing on receiver about 80% wood good no cracks etc. Barrel bluing very good. What say you?
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: pricing of a Savage 99CD

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'd buy it... I like the .308 Savage 99. They are shooters. Cosmetics meen little to me.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IIRC, the 99CD's were made from 1975-1981.

The medallion should nail down the exact year, as it most likely celebrated either the XX anniversary of the model 99 or some other Savage anniversary - although, IIRC, some medallions simply had the indian cheif's head/profile on it.

It's a good price - if one wants a detachable mag Savage 99.
I'd rather have a brass rotary mag model, myself.

iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I passed on it. After looking closer at the pictures I realized it had the monte carlo stock. It does me no good being left handed, it would probably bite my cheek when shot left handed. I am patient, I will find one sooner or later.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, all the detachable magazine Savage 99's ( Model C/CD) have the monte carlo buttstock.

If you absolutely have to have a removeable mag 99, why not just rasp the comb off one of those ?

iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

A c model is not important, what I prefer is the tang mounted safety instead of the lever style. I am looking at a madel F with a tang safety in 308, but it is a bit pricey in my opinion $550 cdn plus shipping. I will wait a while and maybe contact the seller when in his city to eliminate shipping.
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by thornblom »

$550 is not a bad price for an "F" model 99 Savage with top tang safety and rotarry magazine if it is in good shape.

They are not making any more of these fantastic rifles, so...............

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom