Apologies up front. I caught the black rifle flu

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Apologies up front. I caught the black rifle flu

Post by Streetstar »

I don't know what prompted this project, as it is not a lever gun --- but most AR projects lend themselves well to the "home gunsmith", whereas my Marlin Trapper project had to be turned over to professionals. (And, at 38 years old, the M-16 is decidedly the service rifle of my generation)

I had a couple of these homely little things already, but the off-the-rack carbines just did not have enough soul for me, i guess.

Started when i came across a decent deal on an M16A1 "604" upper and barrel, then the next week resulted in me chasing down other A1 parts (buttstock, pistol grip and a few other things are different on the A1 model than the modern A2) Still havent located a good set of triangular hand guards, but am looking.
Compared to the modern carbine with the rail, fore grip, heavy barrel and unnecessarilly complicated sights, this rifle is light and shoulders easilly. Plus --- who knows where the upper receiver has been? Fun to ponder

Matching A1 style "slab side" lower receivers are readilly available and i am on the waiting list for one of those, but until then , the mis matched A2 style receiver will have to do (cant get an original without a tax stamp and about 15,000 dollars) ,

----- Doug
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Apologies up front. I caught the black rifle flu

Post by homefront »

Nothing to be ashamed of! :lol:

The cardinal rule though, is to never trade a real rifle (aka levergun) for a plastic fantastic EBR. :mrgreen:

I know next to nothing about the AR15 - m16 platforms. They are handsome in their own way, and fairly light if I recall.

Now you owe us a range report! :D
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Ahhhhsome. Nothing wrong with BRD, it's similar to leveritis.

See if you can find those handguards here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/ee.html
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

homefront wrote:
The cardinal rule though, is to never trade a real rifle (aka levergun) for a plastic fantastic EBR. :mrgreen:

! :D

That......... will most assuredly never happen. At the end of the day, i can clean my levergun and hang it up on the wall in my study ------ if i did that with an AR, it would make me look like i had a subscription to "Soldier of Fortune" instead of American Cowboy :D
----- Doug
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

when it it's the fan, as much as i love the levers and riot shotguns, i'm going fullauto with a m4 8)
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I peiced together an AR last fall. I just got around to shootin it last weekend. I really did not want to like it. I guess I do. Of course my 18 year old son loves it. I suppose I will keep it, but they don't have charm of a lever.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Black rifle flu ?? Sorry to hear that!! Hope you get better soon!! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

homefront wrote:Nothing to be ashamed of! :lol:
+1 Just smart thinking. Eventually B-HO and Holder are going to get around to banning them. They are just waiting for the next mass shooting to ride as a wave... :evil:
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Apologies? Please… Worry no more. I enjoy shooting and while my favorite guns are semi-auto and lever-action, I own a wide variety of firearms to keep things fun and interesting.

I have everything from a single-shot NEF to a belt-fed 1919a4 and a water-cooled in progress. Your rights belong to you – so enjoy them and simply being law-abiding in doing so would never let you be deprived of those said rights.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

:D
Last edited by Nobody on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Yes, you can put wood stocks on them. Here's one.
lm7basic6.jpg
That's the only one I could find at the moment. I've seen one that has some beautiful wood but I can't locate it at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Good to have when the "Rebellion" starts! :shock:
"That'll Be The Day"
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

I guess it's time to come out of the closet. This is an older picture. I have since put an optics, 4 rail handguard and vertical grip on it. :oops: :oops:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

:D
Last edited by Nobody on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yep, 'ya done good! Every levergun man needs a black rifle---keeps the "others" in check. :D -----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD