Shooting rifle from horse? Levergun of course.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Shooting rifle from horse? Levergun of course.

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I havn't owned a horse in quite a few years, but it looks like I may end up buying one this weekend, if It rides out well. It's a quarter horse, and it's very gentle, 14yrs old, and has been a roping horse, however I am not sure if it's been a calf roping or team roping horse, I think it's been a team roping horse.

Anyway the horse isn't really good enough for serious competition anymore, but should make me a good horse for the farm, just to ride, and lot cattle with, any maybe rope an animal once in a blue moon if I can't get one to go in the lot, or need to catch one that is too far from the lot to make a drive, eaisly.

However, I don't know if this horse has ever been shot off of or hunted with, if I was guessing I would probably figure that it hasn't. But I would like to be able to shoot off of it. In the past, I have always had to tie a horse up a good distance away from any shooting. And most of the horses I have had in the past, would even shy away from me, while even trying to put a gun in the scabbord, let alone fire the gun.

Do you think I could take a mature horse like this, and train it to where I could shoot a deer off of it, or at least get off and hold the reins while, taking a shot. I have heard that a .22 is a good way to start out. Any suggestions? Anyone on here done it?
NRA Life Member, Patron
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shooting rifle from horse? Levergun of course.

Post by mescalero1 »

Read the stuff from the Horse Whisperer, the real one ( not the Robert Redford movie) it may be doable.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Not necessarily advocating this, but it seemed like I read in one of Jack O'Connors books that they used to fire large caliber rifles right next to the horses ear, and once they were deaf you could shoot off of them. I don't even know whether or not that is plausible though as I don't know anything more about horses other than the fact that people race them and feed them hay. lol
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I acclimatized my horses to gunfire the old fashioned way... I BRIBED 'em! Opened up all the pastures, took a few carrots, stuck 'em in my back pockets and when they came up to get one... I fired away! Yep, they RAN... AS FAR AS THEY COULD! And then they returned... the carrot was stronger than their fear... Eventually I worked up to shooting standing next to them... then over the back, still unbridled and unsaddled... And finally worked up the cajones to saddle up, step up, and shoot! Took a full Saturday to accomplish. Refresher courses never hurt tho'!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

What Griff said works, Ive started mine with cb caps then worked up to bigger stuff never tried to shoot game from a horse with a rifle as its hard to hit anything just for pistol up close predator problems. You'll find you will only have one hand free anyway. When hunting elk I just step down holding the lead rope and shoot. danny
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My shooting bench is right next to the horse pasture. Some horses come up to the fence when I am shooting some stay far away. When I was looking into Cowboy Mounted Shooting. Treats were the tool to get them used to the noise. Give him some grain and shoot a 22 pistol at a distance. And over time shoot closer and closer till your shooting next to him while he's eating. In mounted shooting some of the guys have ear plugs for ther horses.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Not quite sure WHY? anybody feels the need to shoot from a horse back :?: But they can be trained to do so.
But if you think you're a lousy offhand shot now, just wait till you try it from the back of a squirmin horse. :o :roll:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D ps. you can shoot from any horses back,,,,,, ONCE :mrgreen: :lol:

I know an old fella that deafened his team by shooting off his hay sled.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My dad did that. While going up the trail in WA`s Blue Mountains , an elk stepped out in front of him. The .300 Win. mag. did in the Elk but dad was soon on the ground and the rifles stock was in two pieces! :o
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One MORE reason the law against suppressors should be scrapped. I know you can get them for a $200 transfer fee and a WAY higher cost than need be (they used to be $3 or $4 before restricted), but since so few people get them, hardly any guns are threaded at the muzzle, so to suppress a levergun would be very costly.

Here's what I'd want to have (.44 Magnum suppressed) for horseback use...

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I watched a class III gunsmith shoot a Ruger Boltaction 44mag that otherwise looked just like that leveraction, and it was pretty quite, but was still loud enough to spook about any horse I ever had. Still it's and idea.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Don McDowell wrote:Not quite sure WHY? anybody feels the need to shoot from a horse back :?: But they can be trained to do so.
But if you think you're a lousy offhand shot now, just wait till you try it from the back of a squirmin horse. :o :roll:

Well, out west or even where I live, there would be no need to shoot off of a horse for any kind off distance shot, but I would be riding where close and unexpected opportunities sometimes present themselves, but the chance would done be long gone, do the added movement and time required to dismount, withdraw a rifle and shoot, at times. Still, it might be more of a pipe dream then reality, but I would like to have the option.
NRA Life Member, Patron
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've done it a couple of times. A few times while in the saddle and once propping the rifle across the saddle seat. While riding it wasn't much of a problem as I was on a well broke horse. Other than I couldn't hit squat and I was shooting a 22 rifle. Across the saddle I got a good smack from my horse as I was shooting a '94 in 30-30. I won't do either again unless it's big and it's charging. Cause I don't have my ole horse and I'd be in the middle of a rodeo.
Old Law Dawg
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Way back when I was in High School....

We had a math teacher who had grown up in rural Utah, and had hunted the mountains around the family ranch all his life. When he was about 14 years old, he went by himself for the first time -- horseback of course -- on a dusky, stormy afternoon. As luck would have it, he ran into a nice buck, with just enough light left to shoot. He was as surprised as the buck at the moment, and swung his old .30-30 winchester around to cut loose at the deer. As he swung the carbine, the pony scrunched around about a quarter turn, and our intrepid young shootist nailed his trusty steed in the back of the head, dropping him instantly.

He said the hardest job he ever had in his life was lugging that saddle back home and cringing at the thought of what his dad would do to him. As he opened the kitchen door, teary-eyed, saddle & gun in hand, his old man pictured exactly what had happened, and roared with laughter until his sides & belly ached.

He always said his Pa should have beat him senseless, as that would not have hurt so deep as to have been laughed at...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

[quote="Lastmohecken

Well, out west or even where I live, there would be no need to shoot off of a horse for any kind off distance shot, but I would be riding where close and unexpected opportunities sometimes present themselves, but the chance would done be long gone, do the added movement and time required to dismount, withdraw a rifle and shoot, at times. Still, it might be more of a pipe dream then reality, but I would like to have the option.[/quote]

Read Buck Elliots post carefully, then keep it in your mind should you get said horse.
Once you carry a rifle on a horse you'll quick find there's no good way to carry rifle on a horse, there's even less good way to get a rifle out of a scabbard while still mounted.

Save the shootin and hollerin from horseback for the Hollyweird stuff. Real life doesn't support the myth or the legend very well. :wink:
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Fooey...It is cinch to shoot off the back of any horse with no special training. You can get at least one shot off before the rodeo starts!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

There are circumstances that demand it... and during the 12 years I was a mounted deputy, it was both prudent and a "job" requirement. So, I practiced same. Luckily, I only had to do it for training and qualification purposes. .45 Colt, .357mag revolvers & .30-30 carbine.

And while practice, qualifying & coboy mounted shooting is a "blank" experience, live ammo is another matter entirely; better be aware of EVERYTHING around ya.

Getting ready to patrol tornado afficted Lancaster, TX, 1994.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't know anything about shooting off a horse, but I just have one question. If the horse is 14 yrs. old, does he have much time left to learn anything new? Seems awfully mature to start him on a whole new life of shooting and packing?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Look at you, Griff. I bet your old partners would of had a hard time recognizing you with a pony tail.

I've got the oppurtunity to ride with our posse, but I want to do it only for search purposes, not the parades, games and other things they do.
Old Law Dawg
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

marlinman93 wrote:I don't know anything about shooting off a horse, but I just have one question. If the horse is 14 yrs. old, does he have much time left to learn anything new? Seems awfully mature to start him on a whole new life of shooting and packing?
Well, you may have a point, but I do know of one person who was still roping off of a horse that was 28yrs old. I don't know how much useful life he has left, but 14yrs is not that bad in and of itself, he is supposed to be well broke, trained and very gentle, and if that is true, then someone has spent a lot of time with him.

I guess I will have a much better idea, after tomorrow. We bought a bull off this same man, and he is supposed to deliver the bull and bring the horse at the same time, for me to look at and test ride.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You may want to ask for a 3 day test drive. That'ld be plenty of time if he's got the ol pony aced up, for the blood system to clear, and that'll give you some time to get out into the cows with him. "Roping" horse aren't real good as a rule at catching , passing and turning back cows, they will however put you with in good rope distance all day long. :lol:
14 years is about the prime of a good horses life, so there must be something not quite right or the horse probably wouldn't be for sale.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Don McDowell wrote:You may want to ask for a 3 day test drive. That'ld be plenty of time if he's got the ol pony aced up, for the blood system to clear, and that'll give you some time to get out into the cows with him. "Roping" horse aren't real good as a rule at catching , passing and turning back cows, they will however put you with in good rope distance all day long. :lol:
14 years is about the prime of a good horses life, so there must be something not quite right or the horse probably wouldn't be for sale.
That's good advice, and here's the rest of the story. The owner is a long time friend of my brother in law, and my brother in law and I believe he is telling the truth: anyway I was told this horse was a $7000 horse, which his son used all through college, on a rodeo scholership, but they have now discovered that the horse is suffering from bone splints in the back legs. He said that the horse just didn't seem to be working as good in the pens as he used to, but they couldn't find anything wrong with him, at first, and just riding him, gave no indication of troubles, but a vet later confirmed that he had bone splints.

I have done some research on this, and for a lot of horses this is not the end of the world, but it might be for a top preformer, to remain in competition. And I am told that for just a riding horse, and occasional working horse this is not a problem. The price is $750.00

They had been riding him a lot to keep him in shape, and aparently this only showed up when actually in the arena, during competition. Now, naturally I am a little nervous about this condition, but I havn't seen the horse yet. And while plain old horses can be had for practically nothing, a good gentle well broke, horse, with some sense is a little harder to come by. And this horse isn't going to be used hard by me, so this might work out.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well for 750 it might be ok, but then again you may just end up having to put him down in short order. Everytime you ride the horse those splints are going to get worse,especially if you happen to work him hard, or even if he just slips on some mud or loose rock.
You might be well advised to visit with your regular vet about those bone splints.
If it were me I wouldn't buy him.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:And while practice, qualifying & cowboy mounted shooting is a "blank" experience, live ammo is another matter entirely; better be aware of EVERYTHING around ya.
Whoa; I didn't know that. I thought in "Cowboy Action Shooting" they actually used live rounds, even for the horse events.

Where's the best source of CAS info for a novice? I doubt I'll ever do it (no horse, for one thing), but it does sound interesting...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Mohecken, You will have more time than you think, I ride up on mulies, wt & elk all the time horses dont spook them, especially bedded elk & mulies and most of my shots are under 100yds in timber. I just get down on the side away from the animal grab the rifle and shoot. you'll be surprised how easy it works just dont use a rifle with a muzzle break and use a lead rope not your reins cause if the horse pulls back when you shoot a bit will hurt his mouth and make him flinchy every time you pull your rifle. For a quick lead rope take it fold it to make a loop run it thru the gullet and the loop over the horn when you go to get down flip the loop back drop your reins,I use closed reins, and grab the tag end of the rope and go. Once you have the system down you'll have a shot off quicker Speed Williams heading steers at the NFR. danny
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

If the horse has been trailered and used in arenas the way he has chances are he has a good foundation and is not likley to spook. While there is no such animal as bomb proof, I would think he would be far ahead of the herd regarding ground manners, trailering, standing tied, and have a little more sense about him than the average horse many aquire as pasture art and are never used.

$750 sounds fair, you could probably get cheaper at a horse barn, however, I doubt you will be as satified. Typical horse barns these days are full of slaughter horses that need to be sent to the processor. They were often neglected and not handled properly during their foundation years and have little skills. A good horse requires good breeding and good training. Sounds like the hourse your looking at has both and will have a good mind set capable of handling new situations.

I would speak with a vet regarding possible future issues and projected future vet cost with this injury. Buying a horse is an obligation, while there are times to cut your losses, I dont agree with putting them down when its no longer convient for your ownership unless the cost become excessive. Make sure you find a farrier that is familiar with any corrective shoeing requirements if any and take good care of his feet.

I have an 1860 C&B revolver that I load with 25 grains of pyrodex or BP (your preference). Once you fill that, top off the cylinder with CREAM OF WHEAT and pack it with the rammer, repeat the CREAM OF WHEAT process approx. 2-3 times to ensure a proper pack is aquired. You can load all 6 cylinders in this fashion. On the 1858 and 1860 there is a dimple or nock between the cylinders that the hammer can lock into while holstered, NEVER PLACE the hammer on a live cap for carrying. Most prefer to load 5 and leave and empty. Put on the caps and you have a nice cap gun that is LOUD but RELATIVELY SAFE. (REENACTORS often load BP firearms in this fashion)

I would recomend you start by having an individual riding the horse in an arena or contained area free of hazards. The individual firing the gun should be approx. 25 yrds away and fire the gun 1 time with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. (Remember, that the concussion of the blast can still inflict injuries and damage objects at a fairly lengthy distance) Big Sky brings up a good point on bits. I also prefer a halter and lead rope or a training snaffle.

I recommend having the horse perform some sort of riding exercise (i.e. sidepass, neck reining exercises)so that the gunshot is not the focus of what is going on but just part of the environment and a momentary distraction for the horse. Observe the horses reaction with each shot and move closer as you feel comfortable. The horse should look and see what is going on, but should not be overly concerned. Within a cylinder or two, you should be able to have the rider fire a shot while in the saddle. If the horse offers to buck slow down the process. You also need to perform this task on right and left sides as well as front and rear. I prefer to start at the side R or L. Dont do this initially late of an evening due to muzzle flash. That will be something you want to do after he has accept gunfire.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Buying a horse is an obligation, while there are times to cut your losses, I dont agree with putting them down when its no longer convient for your ownership unless the cost become excessive. Make sure you find a farrier that is familiar with any corrective shoeing requirements if any and take good care of his feet.
NOT talking about putting a horse down for "convenience" Talking about the responsibility part. Those bone splints can turn into a rather debilitating condition. I've had 2 horses that came up with those, and it's not pretty.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I agree totally. This could become an issue that will have associated cost. Thats why I also recommended a vet check and find out severe the issue is and projected vet bills if the situation becomes worse. Personally, I've never seen an issue where a horse had to be put down but I have seen issues where the horse was non productive and no longer able to be ridden.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

horsesoldier03 wrote:I agree totally. This could become an issue that will have associated cost. Thats why I also recommended a vet check and find out severe the issue is and projected vet bills if the situation becomes worse. Personally, I've never seen an issue where a horse had to be put down but I have seen issues where the horse was non productive and no longer able to be ridden.
Well you're very fortunate to never having to put a horse down.
Most folks used to never put a horse down, they took them to the sale. Now with the new rules they either put them down, let them suffer, or...... sellem to somebody else as a good horse. Sort of like the used car dealer in the plaid polyester jacket, and this car was only driven by a little ol lady going to church. :roll:
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Yep these days your best to stay out of the sale barns!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I know all about halters, and lead ropes, I always used a halter and lead rope on the last horse I owned for many years, after he sliped a bridel off, and left me to walk home, one time. After that I always tied him up with a halter rope.

You fellows have brough up some good points, and I guess I will get my first look at him in an hour or so.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:
Griff wrote:And while practice, qualifying & cowboy mounted shooting is a "blank" experience, live ammo is another matter entirely; better be aware of EVERYTHING around ya.
Whoa; I didn't know that. I thought in "Cowboy Action Shooting" they actually used live rounds, even for the horse events.
Where's the best source of CAS info for a novice? I doubt I'll ever do it (no horse, for one thing), but it does sound interesting...
Doc,
Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association is the foremost organization that provides rules and sanctions events... much as SASS is the lead organization for cowboy action shooting.

Lastmohecken,
I'm going to assume that you're talkin' "shinsplints". Not sure that I'd wanna take on that worry... it really depends on just how bad they are, what level of work or exercise is required before they show up in the horse's performance... and what a vet sez about that condition in the horse and the rest of the horse's overall condition. If you said, I didn't see, but gelding, mare or stud? That'd also be a factor... if a well-bred stud or mare I'd be more inclined to take on the work... but for a gelding... which is what I'd assume from the price and stated value if sound. But still, if you have a vet or two check 'im out, and get a clean bill of health for casual riding, or light work... I might just go ahead.

Whichever... good luck and keep us posted... and even more than guns... how bout a pic or two!!! :mrgreen: :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

marlinman93 wrote:I don't know anything about shooting off a horse, but I just have one question. If the horse is 14 yrs. old, does he have much time left to learn anything new? Seems awfully mature to start him on a whole new life of shooting and packing?
He ain't gonna learn any younger, now is he...?
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Don McDowell wrote:Not quite sure WHY? anybody feels the need to shoot from a horse back :?: But they can be trained to do so.
I've had coyotes disappear before I could get my rifle into action before, and it'd surely happen more often if I decided to dismount to do so. If you've trained your horse right, and don't take forever to make the shot, you'll do just fine.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Lastmohecken wrote:
Well, you may have a point, but I do know of one person who was still roping off of a horse that was 28yrs old. I don't know how much useful life he has left, but 14yrs is not that bad in and of itself, he is supposed to be well broke, trained and very gentle, and if that is true, then someone has spent a lot of time with him.

I guess I will have a much better idea, after tomorrow. We bought a bull off this same man, and he is supposed to deliver the bull and bring the horse at the same time, for me to look at and test ride.
A horse that old that's retired from the arena is probably not gonna be good for much besides pleasure riding, long term.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

AJMD429 wrote:

Nope, blamks only. Go to http://www.sass.net, then click on the mounted shooting link.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I didn't buy the horse, the owner, brought the bull to us, but didn't bring the horse. His excuse was that his trailor had a cattle pannel nailed to the floor and he was worried about the horse getting a shoe hung up. I have about decided to forget this deal, anyway.

I may end up with a 8 year old quarter horse mare, that a long time friend at work owns. It's sound, but maybe not as well broke, but several people have been riding this mare in the past, and I think I could probably get this horse lined out, and make a good animal out of it. So, we will see.

I figure if I got this horse, and rode it three or 4 times a week for a while, it would turn out to be a pretty good horse, it just hasn't been used enough, like most horses these days.
NRA Life Member, Patron
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Long rides and wet saddleblankets are the prescription for a well broke horse. Obviously without getting into the little nuances of what happens on those long rides.
Old Law Dawg
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

kimwcook wrote:Long rides and wet saddleblankets are the prescription for a well broke horse. Obviously without getting into the little nuances of what happens on those long rides.
Absolutely. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don McDowell wrote:
kimwcook wrote:Long rides and wet saddleblankets are the prescription for a well broke horse. Obviously without getting into the little nuances of what happens on those long rides.
Absolutely. :D
And some horses are just... well... broke. My old, 27 year old mare got outta my pasture and into a little clearing the last time I was home... the briars around that clearing were thick... and at dark, even with a flashlight, I couldn't find a way out... so, I took down a coupla strands of my fence (3) and led her over, back into my pasture. Popped the wire clips back on and put her up in the barn for the nite... figured I'd find the break in the fence the next morning and my other two horses. Sure 'nough, after not being ridden for close to 6 years, I slipped on a bridle and climbed up bareback and off we went carrying two other halters and lead ropes... found the break, and one horse on my side, herded her into another pasture and back thru the break... after an hour found the youngest amongst a bunch of cows and got her haltered and led back to my place.

This ol' gal was 9 when I bought her off the previous owner of my little farm. She'd been his youngest daughter's pole-bending & barrel horse... I've roped, competed in mounting shooting, cowboy polo, & other horseback games, I've chased cows in downtown Dallas (overturned cattle truck), driven cows and horses, day worked, directed traffic during bike races, accident detours and special events, I've patrolled football games and areas devastated by natural diasaster from her back. Even chased a speeding p/u and issued a ticket... (fun story, never wave at a cop and not use ALL your fingers)!

I'm gonna miss her when she's not there... some say you only get one good horse... well, if I never have another as good, I'm glad I've had her. :D :D :D :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Griff wrote:Even chased a speeding p/u and issued a ticket... (fun story, never wave at a cop and not use ALL your fingers)!

I'm gonna miss her when she's not there... some say you only get one good horse... well, if I never have another as good, I'm glad I've had her. :D :D :D :D :D

Well, tell it!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:One MORE reason the law against suppressors should be scrapped. I know you can get them for a $200 transfer fee and a WAY higher cost than need be (they used to be $3 or $4 before restricted), but since so few people get them, hardly any guns are threaded at the muzzle, so to suppress a levergun would be very costly. ...
+ BUNCHES.

Heck, in some Scandahoovian countries Suppressors are essentially MANDATORY.

But then Politeness is essentially mandatory there too...

FWIW, I don't think it would be all that hard to build a can for a .357, .44 or .45 levergun... just cut the tube back 1 round & move the front sight back an inch then thread the barrel. Pay Tax (gaack) Build & add 6"-12" Can. (use a 6 cell "D" size aluminum flashlight body as your base tube...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Just a question?? Read an old book once on mid to late 1800 rifles, is it true the "crescent" butt stock was intended to fit into the "crock" of ones elbow? Supposedly for easier handling while on horse back?

My wife is a "horse" rescuer (?), a lot people with too much money buy critters for their spoiled kids and find out that they do not have either the time or patience to properly care for them. They usually try an sell 'em, but with little to no training the critters are pretty much un"saleable" and become wards of the state so to speak. That is where my wife comes in, much like a foster parent. She's had up to twenty (totally unmanageable for one person, so she starts to recruit and force all my friends away), but she is down to five right now. Four have been around for like ten years (ok, maybe five or six) and another is a one year old (she's a hand full). When I go out to roll 'em some hay or oats I use an old Jeep P/U with a broken exhaust pipe. Thing has the loudest back fires I ever heard. Start'n around three or four years ago, I'd have that thing a pop'n while I feed the horses....guess what? I can now fire any of my rifles right next to 'em while they chew on my hat think'n it's dinner time. Except that little one. Another thing, last year we had 25 year old mare go down with some kind of horse sickness. The vet came over and said that she'd not recover and for another $80 he'd put her out of her misery, pulled my Blackhawk out and shot her behind the ear. Told the vet "handloads, 8 cents! Dragged her onto the back of my utility trailer and hauled her over to the stock yards, they did the rest for $20.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Just a question?? Read an old book once on mid to late 1800 rifles, is it true the "crescent" butt stock was intended to fit into the "crock" of ones elbow? Supposedly for easier handling while on horse back?

My wife is a "horse" rescuer (?), a lot people with too much money buy critters for their spoiled kids and find out that they do not have either the time or patience to properly care for them. They usually try an sell 'em, but with little to no training the critters are pretty much un"saleable" and become wards of the state so to speak. That is where my wife comes in, much like a foster parent. She's had up to twenty (totally unmanageable for one person, so she starts to recruit and force all my friends away), but she is down to five right now. Four have been around for like ten years (ok, maybe five or six) and another is a one year old (she's a hand full). When I go out to roll 'em some hay or oats I use an old Jeep P/U with a broken exhaust pipe. Thing has the loudest back fires I ever heard. Start'n around three or four years ago, I'd have that thing a pop'n while I feed the horses....guess what? I can now fire any of my rifles right next to 'em while they chew on my hat think'n it's dinner time. Except that little one. Another thing, last year we had 25 year old mare go down with some kind of horse sickness. The vet came over and said that she'd not recover and for another $80 he'd put her out of her misery, pulled my Blackhawk out and shot her behind the ear. Told the vet "handloads, 8 cents! Dragged her onto the back of my utility trailer and hauled her over to the stock yards, they did the rest for $20.

I don't suppose you told your wife that story? That's kinda my cure for most dog and cat ailments.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Buck Elliott wrote:
He ain't gonna learn any younger, now is he...?
No, he wont, but I'm sure a horse could learn this when he was younger.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Vall,
Unlike us humans, I don't believe that horses have preconceived notions about age and ability. But, like us, they're very individual in their abilities and adaptabilities. I wouldn't hesitate attempting to teach an older horse a new trick. Some take to the new task, some don't...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!