OT-Any S&W guru's out there? Photos added..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Any S&W guru's out there? Photos added..

Post by morgan in nm »

I posted this on the smith forum but have had no luck so I thought maybe someone here might know. I recently came across a 12-2 airweight that was too cheap not to buy. One thing is that it has a lanyard ring installed and the serial number has been stamped on the backstrap. It also has an importer's mark under the barrel from "Valley Gun LA CA." I could not find any marks on it to determine who had done this to it and was wondering if anybody might have a clue.
Last edited by morgan in nm on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Any S&W guru's out there?

Post by JerryB »

Not a S&W historian but it sounds like an overseas police or military gun.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Any chance of pics?

My Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3d Ed doesn't mention a lanyard ring and the only exports listed are to the French Police (safety located on the right side. Yes, the French requested a revolver with a safety) and the Swedish Air Force.

As the 12-2 was produced from approximately 1962-1977, it doesn't match the Swedish order (1958) and if it had a safety I think you would have mentioned it. :wink:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

It doesn't have a safety and it isn't in my copy of supica's book either. The serial dates it to around march of 1970 according to my best guess. Its a bit too dark right now to take a photo but I will post a pic tomorrow morning. It does have RNW stamped inside the grips but I assumed that was somebody's initials but it is stamped very neatly.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

morgan,

Have you tried to contact Valley Gun?:

Valley Gun Distributors Inc.
18526 Parthenia Street
Northridge, CA 91324
1-818-349-4733
Surplus guns & accessories, Surplus ammo and PMC ammo

Joe Salter has a different Smith for sale, which had been purchased from S&W, by Valley Gun Dustributors, with a S&W factory letter:

http://www.downeastantiques.com/detail. ... yitem=7857

Have you called Smith & Wesson?

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I used to see them set up like that. This little gun was very popular with military pilots and crews years ago. Lanyard ring would have been a standard modification.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Hagler wrote:morgan,

Have you tried to contact Valley Gun?:

Valley Gun Distributors Inc.
18526 Parthenia Street
Northridge, CA 91324
1-818-349-4733
Surplus guns & accessories, Surplus ammo and PMC ammo

Joe Salter has a different Smith for sale, which had been purchased from S&W, by Valley Gun Dustributors, with a S&W factory letter:

http://www.downeastantiques.com/detail. ... yitem=7857

Have you called Smith & Wesson?

Shawn
A big thanks. I tried to locate a number or address to Valley Gun but didn't have any luck. This will give me the starting point I needed.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

morgan,

The best answer is to write to S&W and get a factory letter for it. Then you'll know. Most everything else is guess work.

Besides, maybe Smith will tell you it was sold to John Wayne or something! You never know.

Cat
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

awp101 wrote:.......... the only exports listed are to the French Police (safety located on the right side. Yes, the French requested a revolver with a safety) and the Swedish Air Force.
They didn't want it to go off when they threw it down on the ground :lol:

Ed
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Kansas Ed wrote:
awp101 wrote:.......... the only exports listed are to the French Police (safety located on the right side. Yes, the French requested a revolver with a safety) and the Swedish Air Force.
They didn't want it to go off when they threw it down on the ground :lol:

Ed
I don't know if they still do, but the French GIGN preferred the .357 (primarily S&W or Manhurin AFAIK) for years as their primary sidearm even after everyone else switched to the wondernines and various and sundry other bottom feeders. I don't recall if they requested the safety on those as well but it seems SOMEONE over there prefers power to capacity and fast reloads. :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
hocbj23
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hocbj23 »

Hideaway gun for the RNW mounted police? Imported into Canada by Valley Guns in CA?Wild guess.BJ
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT-Any S&W guru's out there? Photos added..

Post by morgan in nm »

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I was getting all my paperwork in for my new job. Ag teacher and metals supervisor :)

I was mistaken when I told yall that it was RNW(Couldn't see very well last night.) It actually says KAR right next to the serial number. I apologize for the error.

I tried calling the number above but it was to some movie studio. They got a bang out of some of the questions I was asking :roll: I'll get ahold of Smith and see what they say. I will be honest with you all as I only paid $175 for it with tax. I thought it was a good deal despite the modification being there are no cracks. All in all I would say that it is in about 70% not including the modification. Thanks for the help and pointing me in the right direction.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I reckon Morgan must be in Portales Or Clovis, my friend was at Cannon AFB, used to go there a lot.
I'm no help on the Smith, one of my childhood friends did tell me he was issued a lightweight Smith when he was crew chief on a Medivac.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Since the lanyard ring appears to be stainless steel and not blue, I would guess this to be an aftermarket addition. S&W would have put a blued lanyard had they done this.
S&W is temporarily not sending out letters. Not sure why, but have been told it will resume soon. Roy Jinks' letters are fantastic, and even with the raise in price they are a bargain compared to others.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

In the recesses of my mind I'm thinking that most of the M 12's I've seen were used by air crews. They make a nice carry piece.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

marlinman93 wrote:Since the lanyard ring appears to be stainless steel and not blue, I would guess this to be an aftermarket addition. S&W would have put a blued lanyard had they done this.
S&W is temporarily not sending out letters. Not sure why, but have been told it will resume soon. Roy Jinks' letters are fantastic, and even with the raise in price they are a bargain compared to others.
Its actually steel. The picture is poor but much of the blueing is worn. It could still be something that somebody added though because the finish on it is not perfect. There is file marks on the stud that goes into the butt. You could also see that there is no paint on the serial number on the backstrap. The lanyard ring is installed like the victory model smiths using a pin rather than a collar.
mescalero1 wrote:I reckon Morgan must be in Portales Or Clovis, my friend was at Cannon AFB, used to go there a lot.
I'm no help on the Smith, one of my childhood friends did tell me he was issued a lightweight Smith when he was crew chief on a Medivac.
Very near there but keeping exact location classified as I don't have enough ammo for all of you folks to help me shoot :lol: If this job works out, I will send the invitations :wink:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I'll let you look at my lathe if you let me look at your lathe.