What was your first lever gun and single action revolver ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

What was your first lever gun and single action revolver ...

Post by J Miller »

Ok, here is a variation of the what was your first gun. Just for the fun of it. Lets restrict it to actual firearms and exclude bb, and pellet guns.

A: What was your first lever action rifle (brand, model, caliber, etc) that you actually purchased for yourself? Do you still have it, or what happened to it?

B: What was your first single action revolver (brand, model, caliber, etc) that you actually purchased for yourself? Do you still have it, or what happened to it?

Mine:
A: Winchester 1894 SRC in 30WCF made around 1909. I bought it around 1967. Traded it off two years later for a Remington 581 Bolt action .22. I trade I regret to this day.

B: Colt Peacemaker .22 Convertible. 6" barrel. I paid $96.50 for it at Bonds Gun Shop in Phoenix in August of 74. I traded it back to Bonds in March of 75 for my First Iver Johnson's imported Uberti Cattleman SA in .45 Colt. This trade doesn't bother me too much. Although I'd like to have another one of those little Colt 22s some day.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What was your first lever gun and single action revolver ...

Post by Modoc ED »

Pre-64 Winchester Model 94 .30-30 -- Still have it. Bought it in 1956.

Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum -- Sold it
Last edited by Modoc ED on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
ED
Yer never too old
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

First levergun was a Win 94 30-30 circa 1978. It still resides at the farm with my folks.

First single action was a stainless 4 5/8" Ruger 44 Mag. I no longer have that one. :cry:
NRA Life Member
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Winchester .44 Mag/ gone
Ruger 3 screw .22/.22mag/ gone
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Excluding my Ithaca Mod. 49 Single Shot(has a lever) that I claimed when I was 5.......

-1970's vintage Mod. 94 in 30/30 that my Dad gave to me when I was 13. Went into the Army in 86 and gave it to my brother(a shortsighted kid who thought he would never need it again). My brother gave it back to my Dad and so far all attempts to get it back have failed :(

-bought my first Ruger Super Blackhawk when I was 16.....had my mom sign for it and bought it with my paper route money. I'll never forget unwrapping that beautiful revolver out of it's packing plastic and being wowed with it. Again, while in the Army, sold it to try and take out a girl that wouldn't look sideways at me. Dumb!

These are both my firsts, and among my two most stupid instances of gun related brain flatulence.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Marlin 336RC .30-30 traded for a Win 94 .44 Mag, traded for a Marlin 1893 .38-55 sold to pay the divorce lawyer (or feed the kids, however you care to look at it).

Lyman branded Pietta New Model Army Remington Revolver, cal .44 which I still have.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I'm a late bloomer.
(B) Got my Ruger Single Six, 22lr/22 mag. w/both cylinders in early sixties. Still got it; only thing that lasted through 2 divorces!
(A) Fourty years later, a Puma .44 Mag.

No hunters/shooters in my family or neighborhood. Grew up in LA ghetto (Compton) and didn't see a forest, or shoot a gun until I was in my twenties. Spent most of my money on booze... :lol:
Last edited by mikld on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

1st levergun was a Winchester model 94 (circa 1970) 30/30. I traded a wecked Honda 90 street bike for it, when I was around 13yrs old. My second lever was a Marlin 1895 45/70 when I was 16yrs old, after which I traded the Winchester 94 off for for a J.C. Higgins 12ga side by side. And the Marlin got traded off a couple of years later for a Remington 700, 30-06. And that was the beginning of an expensive and life long string of gun trades and purchases.

First handgun (bought at 16yr) was a Singleaction Ruger Stainless Single Six, .22 long rifle only (no magnum cylinder, and had a star to denote the same, located in front of the trigger guard). I shot many thousands of rounds through that gun, and took a lot of small and not so small game with it. Later I purchased a used Smith and Wesson model 17 K22 Masterpiece and then sold the Ruger (which was pretty wore out by then) to friend of mine. He kept it until he died a couple of years ago. That first Ruger and later K22 killed a lot of stuff and peforated a many a tin can. Both of those guns are gone now, and pretty wore out, but I have since then aquired new ones, and those will never see the volume of rounds, that those eairly guns saw, so they will last me the rest of my life, I am sure.
NRA Life Member, Patron
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

The first long gun that I legally purchased was a Marlin 1894 44 mag from Oshmans Sporting Good. I was 18. I still have this one. My daughter has taken several deer with this one.

I can't remember the first legal handgun I bought but I talked mom into going into DT Houston where I purchased a Ruger SBH at age 16. I sold the gun some 15-18 years ago. REGRETS!!

I had 3 or 4 handguns before I was 18.

TomF
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

Marlin 336 - divorce sale

Ruger Super Blackhawk - divorce sale
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

1st Levergun was a Marlin 336 RC with a straight grip and rounded lever. Wish I had kept that one! 1st Single Action Revolver was a Ruger Single Six convertible. I almost listed as the first "revolver" a neat gun, (though really a P.O.S.) that I mail ordered as a kid in the 60's, but I'll make a separate post for that.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Marlin 336 .35 Remington traded away for ??

Colt SAA .45 Colt 5 1/2" still have it and will leave it to my grandson one day....

BTW...first gun....Stevens 940A Christmas present at age 8.....first gun I bought...Winchester 190 .22 bought at age 15...still have them both..

jumbeaux
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

A MARLIN 39 MOUNTIE [ 1960 ] AND A RUGER SUPER SINGLE SIX REVOLVER [ 1965 ].
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

bought this marlin model 30 AS microgroove, 30-30 in 83.....still have it
first single action was a ruger super black hawk...44mag
traded it for a S&W 629 classic
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Amazingly, 35 years later, I still have BOTH... 8) 8)

Marlin 1894 (parkerized and forend slimmed), and Ruger SuperBlackhawk '200th Year' model - both .44 Mags.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BigMuddy
Levergunner

Post by BigMuddy »

First SA purchased in '81 when I was on college...a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. Traded it for a Colt 45 Gov't Model that is also long gone now. That SBH is the gun that started me re-loading.

First lever gun was a Marlin 1894 44 Mag that I purchased in '82 when I found a real job after college. Sold it at a gun show several years ago.

I have since replaced the SBH with an Old Model of the same, and am still looking for a good 44 mag rifle to replace the Marlin.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My dad bought me a like new used Marlin 336 A
24" PG 2/3 mag. .30-30 in `63`. I killed 6 Deer with it that fall. (party hunting was ok in those days)

Repro .36 cal Navy from Dixie in `62-63` Silver plated brass frame and almost totally engraved . Cost me $39.95 out of the Dixie clearance catalog. Was a GREAT shooter. Still have 8mm movies of me shooting it somewhere. :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I bought an Erma .22 Lever action back in the eighties when I was a full time gamekeeper on an estate in Worcestershire.
I later swapped it for a circa 1960 Mountie.

First S/A was a Uberti 1851 Navy .36 which I later traded for another C/B Colt clone.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

First lever action: Winchester 9422; First Single Action: Ruger Single Six; lost them and everything else in a divorce a long time ago.

Why does divorce cost so much? Because its worth it!

Why is it so painful? No pain, no gain!

That was a long time ago. I did one heck of an upgrade with Clara (great cook and hunting buddy and not too bad on the eyes either) and I have replaced those guns and more.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Cheapo .22 SA (RG?) at 12, single six at 12, .357 Blackhawk at 13 (carried that one camping alone in the hills of NM and Utah at 14), SBH at 14.

BL-22 at 11, Winchester 94 at 14, Marlin 45-70 at 14-15.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

My first leveraction that I bought was a Marlin 1895 CB. I sold it to help raise money to purchase a Browning 71. I don't regret it a bit.

My first Single action I bought was a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 357 mag that I bought in the early 80's when I was in the Marines. I sold it to feed the family when times were hard. Although I wish I still had it I don't regret selling it to help my family.
Ricky

DWWC
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:Ok, here is a variation of the what was your first gun. Just for the fun of it. Lets restrict it to actual firearms and exclude bb, and pellet guns.
A: What was your first lever action rifle (brand, model, caliber, etc) that you actually purchased for yourself? Do you still have it, or what happened to it?
'69 Winchester 94, .44RemMag, 20" catbine; Paid $33.39 to close the uncompleted layaway in the Ship's Store. Carried it to VN twice; stolen 6 months after I got home.
B: What was your first single action revolver (brand, model, caliber, etc) that you actually purchased for yourself? Do you still have it, or what happened to it?
Unk. vintage Ruger Single-Six w/.22Mag extra cylinder. Paid my B-I-L $50 for it. Traded it for a Marlin 336 .30-30 and a couch for 1st apartment after getting home from VN the 1st time. Dad has the .30-30 for pest control, couch is LONG gone.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

1892 vintage Model 1886, 40-82 WCF with cut down 22" barrel. What a shooter that old clunker was. Cost me 40 bucks in 1962.
The SA was the same 1902 Frontier Six Shooter that I still have today. That one was the same $40, from the same seller, a local gunsmith.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

A. Win/Miroku 1886 - use it all the time
B. Ruger Blackhawk .44 - sold to fund a SBHH Bisley in 45 Colt.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I bought a new Win 94 .30-30 in about `75` from
K Mart for $69.95 Sold it later when I had to have some other gun.

Bought a Ruger standard auto .22 new for $49.95 shortly after the Winchester. I never could hit a thing with it and sold/traded it away. :D

Per request from Griff . :D :D :D
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

1983 purchased new BL-22

2004 purchased new Ruger Blackhawk SS 6.5" .357mag

Still have both.

Mucus 8)
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
zack coyote
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zack coyote »

I bought both in '61 in Huntsville Alabama. Wincheaster 94, 30WCF rifle with an octagon barrel cut to 18".My son now owns it. The single action was a Saur .22lr, traded it for a Ruger single six with both cylinders. Sold it to buy an old Colt DA, in .38 special.
We'll be remembered for what we've done, not what we have.
www.johndietzstudio.com
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Marlin 336C .35 Rem still got her!
Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag(no,traded it for a new(well 4 weeks old) Winchester model 70 XTR in 7mm Rem Mag w/3x9 scope.I told my friend I was getting the "much better deal" but he said he just wanted my gun and he loved the fancy cool western belt/ holster I had with it and the custom Herrett grips ?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

If I remember correctly, it was a Marlin 1895 .444. and my first Single action was a ruger super blackhawk in .44 mag. blue with 7.5 inch barrel. I'm thinking I could have kept those two and saved me a hundred thousand dollars in guns over the years. Geezzzzzzzzzzz
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

My dad liked to go golfing and bowling, while I liked to go hunting and fishing, so I had to buy my own gear.

First rifle, a Marlin 336C, in .35 Rem.....still have it and still hunt with it.

First handgun, a Ruger Blackhawk, in .45 Colt....still have it, and still carry it in the field.

Yes.....well, sometimes God sends an angel to watch over me!!! :D
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My first levergun was a Winchester 1892 32wcf 24 inch rifle I bought from an uncle for $15.00 in early 1954. The rifle is in the safe now and still as good as the day I bought it. My first single action was a Ruger Blackhawk .44mag I bought in Sept. of 1959, shot it alot and sold it to my cousin and bought the Colt SSA .45 in Dec. 1959, still carry the Colt in a Mernickle PS6SA.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My first levergun was a early 1894 Winchester in .32 Win Spl, and my first SAA was a 2nd. gen. Colt with 7 1/2" barrel in .357 Mag. Both long gone now.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Lever Gun - NIB 1963 Win 94 30-30 Special Ed with case hardened receiver and brass trigger, saddle ring, and loading gate.

SA Pistol - NIB 1967 Dakota .357Mag, brass frame, case hardened frame, and blued barrel and cylinder

I got both as re-payment for a $35 loan to a fellow soldier in Germany in 1968. He had bought them there and stored them in our company arms room. He couldn't re-pay his debt when he was rotating back to the states so he gave me his firearms. Sold both to a collector friend in 1973 for a tidy profit.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Winchester 94 trapper 44 magnum, sold to a friend, he still owns it and I still get to shoot it.

Ruger Single-Six traded it for a Ruger Redhawk, I have never regretted that swap.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

First lever I bought myself is a win 94 in 25-35 that I still have. The single action is a little hazy. Either it was the 51 colt navy that I gave to my dad or the Ruger vaquero in stainless that I still have. I'm pretty sure the first would have to be the ruger?
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I am not sure if it was a marlin 66 levermatic or my 94 winchester in 30-30. I bought the 94 new for I think $65 in probley 1956 when I was 15 years old and I still have it.
My 1st single action was a ruger convertable single six in a 6 1/2" barrel. Think I bought it in 1961 or 1962 for new, about $65 also. That one got stolen. I was able to replace it with a new in box but even older one in 5 1/2" .22 lr made in about 1957 or 58.

1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

My first guns ever were a Marlin 39a and a Ruger Single-Six, in that order.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

First lever gun was a 1977 BLR in 308, still have it.
First single action, 1970's vintage SBH in 44 mag.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

First levergun was a Winchester 94 in 30-30 IRC. Don't remember if I actually paid for it or it was given to me or in a trade (unlikely). Gave it to my friends father to replace a levergun stolen from his van shortly after loose lipped wife made comments at a party at his house.
So if I didn't actually pay for this one then it doesn't count and next up would be 1908 Marlin 1893 t/d pistolgrip 20 inch octagon barrel I bought in 2007.

First SA revolver would be the Ruger Bearcat I bought for my daughter around 1986. It went the way of all my other guns when in 2003 I had bills to pay.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

My first lever gun was my first rifle a Savage 99takedown .30-30. It was my dad's. My first singles action handgun was a Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag. I still have the rifle.

8)
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

Well my first lever-gun was MY 1894 Marlin 44 Magnum. I had been promised by my dad that if I got a deer with it I could keep it. And, well I did. I got a 250+ pound 150" 10-point whitetail buck. He even let me keep the Leopold VX-II 3-9X50 scope. I still hav that gun (of course.)

Unfortionately, I have yet to get a single-action revover (or any revolver). :evil:
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

My first lever I bought was a Savage 99F in 300 savage. I bought it second hand in 1970 and shot my first deer with it. Traded it for something else I don't remember what. I just bought it's twin a couple weeks ago so I guess I come full circle.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1894cfan wrote:My first guns ever were a Marlin 39a and a Ruger Single-Six, in that order.
Even though I notoriously love my Ruger 96/22, it would be hard to beat a 39a and Single Six as a pair...! 8) + 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

First levergun was a Remington 76 Trail Rider in 22LR(bought used about 1974, actually my mother bought it as I was still underage, I paid for it, still have it). First centerfire was my 1894C in 357 (bought used in 1979, IIRC, still have it). Before that I just shot my father's, grandfather's, brother's and assorted friend's leverguns.

First single action was a Ruger 5 1/2" Super Blackhawk in 44mag. I got it in about 1980. I traded it a couple years ago because just I quit shooting it after getting my 454.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Marlin 39A Mountie, and a Colt 3rd Generation SAA in .357 Magnum - inherited both from my Dad.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Winchester 1895 in 35 WCF. I converted it to 30/40 Krag and sold it. 1954.

Colt SAA Bisley in 41 Long Colt. I traded it for a Colt SAA in 45 Long Colt. 1952.
Jimbo
Levergunner

Post by Jimbo »

Ithaca 49R, in .22 lr, for my birthday when I was 12,hasn't been functional since the late 1970's and still can't find parts to fix it.

Ruger single six purchased in 1975, .22 lr with the .22 mag extra cylinder, 6 1/2 inch barrel. never has shot real well, but I don't want to sell it either. It just looks too cool.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jimbo wrote:Ithaca 49R, in .22 lr, for my birthday when I was 12,hasn't been functional since the late 1970's and still can't find parts to fix it.

Ruger single six purchased in 1975, .22 lr with the .22 mag extra cylinder, 6 1/2 inch barrel. never has shot real well, but I don't want to sell it either. It just looks too cool.
Jimbo,
Check the chambers in the LR cylinder. My OM Single-Six had 5 different sized chambers. At 25 yards it would shoot 3 to 4 into one group and then send 2 to 3 into another pattern.
I had the chambers reamed out to match at the beginning of this year. I still haven't been to the range to do the "after" group test.
But I know for sure that inconsistent chambers will mess up a .22s accuracy potential.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BILLYDIXON
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BILLYDIXON »

My first SA was a Colt I bought in 1975 for $300.00. I was living in Colorado Springs,Co. and spent months trying to find a 45 Colt. Every gun shop had 357. I still have it.
My first lever was a marlin 35 rem sold it.
NRA Life
GOA Life
NSSA Life
AMA Life
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

First lever was a Browning BL22.
First SA was a Ruger SBH in 44Mag.

Bought both in early 80's and still have 'em :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................