Moving advice needed!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Moving advice needed!

Post by J Miller »

T B Good wrote:Help.
It looks like I get to leave California.
All the movers I have talked to say they wont move firearms or ammo.
Sorry I guess I need to trailer.
Can you all give me some advice?
Thanks
Congratulations. What is your destination?

>Rent trailer.
>Attach trailer to your vehicle. Use a lock to secure the hitch so it cannot be removed from the towing vehicle by anyone but you. If you have a receiver hitch buy a locking hitch pin as well.
>Load the guns, ammo, and any related equipment into the trailer, close the door and LOCK IT! Don't put anything in the trailer you'll need to get during the trip. That way you don't need to open the trailer in transit.
>Drive to your destination, unload, comply with what ever laws you need to.
No one need know what is in the trailer.

That is what I did when I moved to IL. I did have all the guns cased and for extra visual insurance I had all the cases locked.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd rather have that kind of stuff in a vehicle and put anything but the guns in the trailer, myself...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

I didn't tell them they were moving guns and ammo.
Anything that looked even related to shooting was carefully
covered and/or packed by myself.
I made sure my homeowner;s insurance covered me during the move, and it did, but to make sure, I paid a little bit and had
a special (rider?) issued to cover every aspect of my move, including damage or theft.
The guns were all packed in had and soft cases, packed with blankets, and loaded by ME into appliance boxes.
To anyone watching us move, and to the movers, it looked like I moved two refrigerators or one plus an uipright freezer.
I had these left in the gargae, which they thought funny, but they didn't mind not having to het them up the stairs.
Good luck. My last two moves came off without any hitches.
Next time, if there ever is one, I will be in trouble.
Hard to explain gun safes and saying there are no guns.
Good Shootin!!
DarryH
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there T B Good - If you go the rented trailer route, be sure you inspect the license plates and tabs and see they are not expired. Also have a spare tire that fits the trailer. I had a friend that got stopped in the middle of nowhere by a state patrolman. He had to unhitch the trailer and leave it do to the expired tabs (from a state the trailer originated in), go rent another trailer, and unload and reload the "current" trailer. You wouldn't want to leave a trailer full of guns or anything else just due to a flat tire either. Just pitching my two cents in. Best regards. Wind
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

If they will fit in your automobile that's where I would put them. That way if have to say over night while in transit you can bring them inside with you, instead of outside and unattended.
Ricky

DWWC
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

RKrodle wrote:If they will fit in your automobile that's where I would put them. That way if have to say over night while in transit you can bring them inside with you, instead of outside and unattended.

Big 10-4 on that! Could not agree with you and Doc more. I want my shootin' irons with ME and to heck with the law. Lot of things can happen to a trailer that only hooked on by a small piece of steel.--------------Jack

But...............traveling through N.Y, N.J., or Md. might make me think twice. Especially Jersey---They love making examples out of white guys with jobs. I'm only 15 miles from the Jersey border and I have not been there since 1978.----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have moved my guns many time. I always carry them in my vehicle. I lay down a row, cover with a blanket, lay down another row, another blanket and so on until the stack is complete. I cover the entire stack with other covers. My guns have never been damaged in any of my moves. I try and put the vehicle in the garage and close the door to unload. If I can't close the door, I wait until night and don't turn on a light.

Ammo, powder and such, I bring in a seperate loade. My last move I had the entire bed of a pickup filled with loading stuff, tarped down and away I came. If you are going to have to spend the night somewhere, the pickup bed is not a good idea.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

When I moved I put what I could in the car and had boxes shipped Fedex Ground. It only cost me $500 in shipping whereas a truck would have been over $1000 and movers more like $3000. If you have a wife or other helper she could stay behind a week to ship things to you (UPS or Fedex will pick up at your house).

I wouldn't trust a mover, I've heard stories about movers quoting you a price, taking possession of your stuff, then demanding more money to deliver it.

When I move out of state I want everything to fit in one van load. Have to cut down on stuff first!
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

AJMD429 wrote:I'd rather have that kind of stuff in a vehicle and put anything but the guns in the trailer, myself...
dito

Put all your baggage in the trailer and look all your guns in the vehicle. It is easier to get at you luggage that way and it keeps the guns out of sight.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I moved from Texas to Florida last year and moved all my stuff just like Charles explained. On top of the layers of guns/blankets, I put clothes and the likes. I planned my overnight stay at a nice hotel with a secured parking garage. Cost a little more but nothing close to the value of any one of my guns.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

JReed wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:I'd rather have that kind of stuff in a vehicle and put anything but the guns in the trailer, myself...
dito

Put all your baggage in the trailer and look all your guns in the vehicle. It is easier to get at you luggage that way and it keeps the guns out of sight.
+1 but for a different reason. Trailers are being stolen here in the midwest to use as portable/rolling meth labs. There have been many drag car trailers stolen, and the car kicked out of the trailer on some deserted stretch of hiway, because they didn't have any use for the car, just wanted the trailer....I mean, $50,000 + drag cars dumped for the box they were being hauled in.

Get a partner to drive, and haul straight through if you have more than a few thousand bucks in guns.

Ed
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Wheb I moved from Washington to Minnesota, Minnesota to Idaho and Idaho to Washington, All my guns were in my gun safe, wrapped in blankets so they fit tight in the safe. (I packed them to make sure thay were stowed properly. The drive never said anything about guns in the safe because there was no noise when they tipped it to move it. I had to pack the ammo and reloading stuff in a vehicle though.

That being said, towing a trailer is not a bad idea, especially if you have a bunch of guns. My herd has grown since the last move and it would be harder to move now, especially if the driver was hardline on guns.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If needed, I'd sleep in the car, or even the trailer... :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

most places in cal. to most places in wa.
should be an easy days drive. no lay over
if you don't want one for some other reason.
haul them covered [out of sight ] however you can
fit them and don't wander away from your vehicle.

good luck, pokey
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've always carried my arms with me. That's one item - along with my wife's jewelry (small/high value) that movers won't touch even if they were allowed to do so.

Depending on where you are going I'd either load them up carefully in your car, or rent a U-Haul trailer and load everything in it.

Good luck!
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I have two pickup trucks. Both have the snugtop covers that go right over the bed of the trucks and lock so moveing was a non issue as far as the guns go. Cant tell you to go buy likewise just for the move though. My new wife wasnt used to driveing the big freeways and through citys etc. We bought a set of walkie talkies and she did just fine following me. You WILL figuer it out!
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Do you have a trustworthy friend or relative at your present location? When I moved from Illinois to Michigan, I left my guns with my trusted shooting buddy. Then after getting settled in Michigan made the 8 hour trip back to get the guns, spent the night and drove back strait thru the next day. When moved from Michigan to Indiana, I called upon my trusted friend again. Made a special trip to Illinois to leave my guns in his care and when got settled in Indiana made the trip to pick up my guns, this time it was only 4 hours one way.
UNITE