O.T. Yard Sales..... Buying opportunities?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

O.T. Yard Sales..... Buying opportunities?

Post by 1886 »

I have been seeing many yard sales. Sadly, a sign of the times I suppose. I stop in when I can, looking for some levergun "Holy Grail". Has anyone ever ran into a levergun or firearm treasure at one of these sales? I keep trying. 1886.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: O.T. Yard Sales..... Buying opportunities?

Post by mescalero1 »

Many years ago.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have not but a buddy of mine saw a very nice 1873 and told me about it as he was not interested. I drove to the man's house (after calling) and bought the 50-60% early third model in 44-40 for 6 c-notes. I'm the third owner on this one. I have bought many nice old guns right out of estates that the owners purchased back in the thirties or so.

Lots of good guns "coming out of the woodwork" in the S.E Pa. area.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Good find. I heard of a minty 73 and 86 coming out of a old barn in my neck of the woods but I can not verify the story. I keep looking. 1886.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

In Phoenix you'd occasionally find some pretty decent shooting related goodies. I once hit a yard sale and walked away with hundreds of cast bullets, a Thumblers Tumbler, some powder and some other stuff.
Here in IL, I've found nothing.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Piced up a 7mm Remington Rolling block at a sale once. Was a beater but got it cheap and made a couple bucks on it.
Now I wished I'd kept it and made a target rifle out of it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

until recently, never found any firearms for sale at yard sale. Last one i went to, a guy was selling a 98 mauser, and sks, and 870. i didn't buy
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Heard about it, but have never seen it or personally known anyone who got one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I saw a S&W model 29 that looked like it had been dragged on a rope behind a car on a gravel road (was an 'under the seat gun' for a guy with a pickup truck and no carpet on the floor of the cab), and passed on it because I was short on funds. Mechanically it was in good shape, and re-finishable...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

about 10 years ago, I bought a Remington 700bdl in 6.5mag for $250 and an almost NIB Rem 700bdl 8mm mag for $300
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

About 20 years ago I stumbled on one where a widow was selling off a bunch of stuff after her husband had passed away. Getting ready to put the house up on the market. The guns her husband had owned were all passed out to the grown kids, but apparently none of them reloaded. I hit a mini-jackpot in powder, reloading gear, and some reloaded ammunition.

Only problem is that none of the reloaded ammunition was marked with load information. I bought that for next to nothing - really just wanting the components, but this guy must have believed in super crimps because the stuff (.44 Magnum cartridges) were just a bare to pull with an inertia hammer. I got lazy and decided to just shoot the stuff to get the brass. Big mistake. Blew a bulge in a S&W Model 629 cylinder. Fortunately S&W had mercy on me, and replaced it free of charge!
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:) I picked up a Thompson Center White Mountain Carbine .50 caliber muzzleloader at a yard sale for $35.00 a while back. Mechanically good, decent wood, bore is toast. I'm gonna rebarrel with a Green Mountain. Other than that, nada. Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

In the mid and late 70's I stumbled across a couple of nice SAA Colts that had been night table and dresser drawer guns in yard sales. I was able to purchase those for less than $225 each... and got in a bind for cash and sold both short a couple of years later.

My boss found a nice Remington Rand 1911 for $75 bucks in a yard sale ... elderly lady sold that. I see the odd pump shotgun and stuff like 311 Stevens doubles now and then.

I missed the bid on a very nice .357 SW about a year ago... by $10 bucks ... a 97% Highway Patrolman with a very nice Threeperson's style holster and belt. Still kicking self over that one.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Yep years ago a 66 carbine in a property clearing sale in far western N S W.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Twenty or so years back, I spotted a rifle leaning on a table in a yard sale as I passed. I turned around and went back for a look. It was a FN commercial 98 Mauser carbine, Mannlicher-style stock, double set triggers, butterknife bolt handle, folding leaf express rear sights, ivory bead front sight, 6.5x55 caliber. Guy wanted $120 for it, I got it for $80! Wonderful little rifle but, as has happened alll too often, I gave in to temptation and sold it (for a nice profit) a few years later. I have also scored many, many bargains on slightly used reloading gear, bullets, brass, etc.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The problem I've seen with yard sales/garage sales is not that there isn't the occassional great stuff - including gun stuff. I don't even mind wading through mounds of endless junk to find the nuggets. Rather, I am not dedicated enough to do it. Some folks practice "yard-saling" as a quasi-religion. They check the papers, plan their routes, go out each weekend, and arrive before the sales even start. The really good stuff and the awesome buys are all gone before I am even out of bed! :roll:
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

My father-in-law went to a garage sale in 1970 in Pittsburg, Calif, and spotted a 1912 Win shotgun in 16 ga. standing in the corner of the garage that was not part of the sale. He asked the woman if he could buy it, she said 15 bucks. It was made in 1912, serial # 40XX, first year and in good shape too, pump action. He gave it to me, I gave it to my son-in-law when he gave me a new Red Label O/U in 12 Ga. Bet that woman got chewed for selling it so cheap.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
sniper58
Levergunner

Post by sniper58 »

Not a lever gun, but I found a Franchi "Silver King Aristocrat" 12 ga o/u at a yard sale a few years ago. It had a broken firing pin that cost me $55.00 to have repaired.
I paid $65.00 for the gun, had the pin repaired, and sold it to my brother for $400.00
He considered it a "deal". I considered it to be "payback" for all the grief he put me through when we were growing up!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I bought a Ruger 'Air Rifle' 15 years ago........I went to a sale and saw a Ruger 10/22 resting in the corner and I asked to see it. The guy doing the sale was kind of rude and shoved it at me saying it was a 'piece of stuff Ruger Air Rifle' and it was broken because the co2 cylinder is stuck in the stock.

Long story short the hex head on the 10/22 magazine had backed out just enough to tie it up. I asked the guy what he wanted for it and he said $10. I paid him and took it home. 30 second of work with my knife and I managed to pop the magazine out, a little loc tite and I was off to the range.

Nice little rifle and the best $10 I ever spent, but I have never managed to get that lucky again.

Wm

P.S. I did spend $150 about that time and get a Krag carbine and a Mossberg 42 but they both needed a good deal of work to bring them up to snuff.....but I still have them and they are good shooters.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Its hard to find good gun deals around here because the antique dealers will go out to where the classified ads say the sale is going to be held and buy up everything 3 or 4 days before the sale. The unadvertised sales are usually hard to find. Occasionally, I have found some brass. One in particular, I found almost 100rds of 44 russian that I still have even though I have nothing to shoot it with. My dad found a suitcase full of rifle magazines not that long ago for $15 that included 4 polytech mags, 8 30rd AR mags, a colt 20rd and a sterling 40rd.
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

About 20 years ago I spotted a rifle on a yard sale table. It was an H&R Officer's model trapdoor 45-70 that looked new and had the box for $150. I only had $10 with me. He would not hold it and by the time I got back from the bank thirty minutes later it was gone.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

A friend of mine told me this story. His wife is really into yard sales and she drug him off early one Saturday morning, much to his chagrin. They get to this place and are walking around looking at the stuff and he spots a Browning auto 5 standing in the corner. He asked the woman there if it was for sale and she yelled into the house to her husband and asked, "is that gun of yours for sale?" Almost immediately, he yells back outside, "yeah its for sale but I won't take a dime less than $150 for it!" Needless to say, it went home with him.
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

I picked up a NEF 12 gauge mod barrel a few months ago for $75. Not a super bargin but a pretty good deal. Also got two cartons of CCI cb shorts at less than retail. I have picked up a few from the local online bullentin board and estate auctions but that is the only garage sale gun. Reloading gear, gadgets and goodies follow me home occasionally.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I got a 1924 Win 1894 rifle in excellent condition about 1996 for $250 at a neighborhood "yard sal" in owa. The guy also had a Colt SA .22 for the same. Would NOT take $400 for both! Grrrr, of all the days to be short!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

About 10 years ago I picked up a Stevens Visible Loader Pump .22 for ridiculously cheap at a garage sale. It's beat up some, but shoots OK...shot a young coon with it several years ago for Christmas dinner.

Ed
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

'bout 25 years ago my wife was at a garage sale, I was home,, she called me and ask if I wanted a 22 rifle for $20.. I asked if the bolt was in it, she asked the guy, and said yes... brought home a Winchester 77 semi auto.. still have it.. shoots great..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I hit a mini-jackpot in powder, reloading gear, and some reloaded ammunition. . . . Blew a bulge in a S&W Model 629 cylinder.
Maybe you should have asked WHY the lady selling it was a widow; his reloading skills may have already claimed him as a victim... :o
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I've never been lucky enough. Usually around here if they advertise a sale with guns, they're gone as soon as sale opens or are so high priced you'd think they had solid gold butt stock. Occasionly find good buys on old knives and a sword now and then, but seems like mostly clothes, used shoes or baby items and tons of used fishing rods around here. Most of the guns seem to show up at estate auctions and then the price really goes through the roof.
UNITE