Wolf Hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Wolf Hunting

Post by gunslinger598 »

AQHA Life Member
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: Wolf Hunting

Post by Buck Elliott »

Can't wait 'til Wyoming issues similar document.

We're up to our earlobes in Wolves here, and our elk & moose populations are diminishing rapidly.

I expect we'll all be deprived of our private transportation, impoverished, euthenized, or rounded up and shipped to big cities long before wolf hunting is legalized in the Cowboy State.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Buck Elliott wrote:Can't wait 'til Wyoming issues similar document.

We're up to our earlobes in Wolves here, and our elk & moose populations are diminishing rapidly.

I expect we'll all be deprived of our private transportation, impoverished, euthenized, or rounded up and shipped to big cities long before wolf hunting is legalized in the Cowboy State.
Kill em anyway, leave em where they lay. Use a dedicated slug gun when possible (no ballistics). Don't brag on it. Just do it.
ED
Yer never too old
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A smoothbore slug gun? Sounds like it would be impossible to trace. No, I am not suggesting anything to anybody, merely making an observation.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Bullets that exit -- every time -- are hard to trace too.

Big problem is that so many of 'em are collared, and when the wolf goes down, the collar goes down too, in short order.

Funny, but a few years ago, when they drew down Buffalo Bill Reservoir, several wolf & bear collars showed up in the silt...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Buck,

Did they draw it all the way down? That's a pretty good size impoundment. A good bit of it is handy to the road as well...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Shooting? If you want to really thin them out set up some aircraft cable snares in the right location.
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

One of those collars strapped to the axle of a school bus should keep em busy at least a little while
AQHA Life Member
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

You don't have much of a 'window' before the collar signals inactivity. No more than a few minutes, from what I understand.

As for the reservoir, it was drawn down for some work on the dam -- not completely, but far more than normal summer irrigation/streamflow draw...
Regards

Buck

gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

Do they monitor heart rate or breathing?

I was thinking the critters have to sleep once in a while.

I'm not informed on what data they actually collect
AQHA Life Member
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

The collars that the F$G in Idaho use are and so far since the reintroduction of the non native canadian wolves ,are "johnson" tracking collars modified with extra long life batteries an instead of a tree'in switch it uses an "inactivity switch". Said switch activates after10-12 hours of inactivity , and up until that swtch activates it is on tracking function only. Information is straight from "Idaho Fish and Game Dept 2nd to the head field op. mgr. up until his retirement 2&1/2 to 3 years ago. If smashed or batteries removed they are nothing.We had some lively discussions about this topic and he said most of f&g field ops agree with the sportsman but the higher ups sent out mandates on the F&G's position of opinion and demanded compliance .
He also said the best story on tracking collars he had heard was soon a the heart beat quit the "camera" started taking 360* pictures :lol:
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

gimdandy wrote:The collars that the F$G in Idaho use are and so far since the reintroduction of the non native canadian wolves ,are "johnson" tracking collars modified with extra long life batteries an instead of a tree'in switch it uses an "inactivity switch". Said switch activates after10-12 hours of inactivity , and up until that swtch activates it is on tracking function only. Information is straight from "Idaho Fish and Game Dept 2nd to the head field op. mgr. up until his retirement 2&1/2 to 3 years ago. If smashed or batteries removed they are nothing.We had some lively discussions about this topic and he said most of f&g field ops agree with the sportsman but the higher ups sent out mandates on the F&G's position of opinion and demanded compliance .
He also said the best story on tracking collars he had heard was soon a the heart beat quit the "camera" started taking 360* pictures :lol:
Did some checking around here and found out basically the same, as far as time frame. That's how the collars wound up taking residence in the reservoir, I'd guess.

The tales about the "camera" are hilarious -- and NOT true, BTW.

Reckon the best strategy might be to shoot the collar...?!?
Regards

Buck

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Buck, our country is more and more starting to look like prewar Hitler-era Germany, with union storm troopers now preparing to do battle with conservative speakers at town hall meetings and euthanasia counciling for seniors instead of needed medical care. How the hell did we get to this point? :shock:
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

jnyork wrote:

Buck, our country is more and more starting to look like prewar Hitler-era Germany, with union storm troopers now preparing to do battle with conservative speakers at town hall meetings and euthanasia counciling for seniors instead of needed medical care. How the hell did we get to this point? :shock:
In a modern sense, it goes back To Woodrow Wilson's presidency, but we have been warned about it since time immemorial. The things that are happening to us now are exactly the things our Founders warned us about, seperated us from, and tried to protect us from when they prayerfully devised the Constitution.

Political promises of unearned wealth, of cradle-to-grave care, and of 'sticking it to' the earners/producers in this country have been growing --and present -- threats all my life. The socialst-agenda politicos and their media lapdogs have vilified the true worker, while extolling the 'rights' of the indolent to the fruits of others' labors. "They" now have what they've always said they wanted, without realizing the suicidal aspect of their agenda. "Freedom of the Press' is normally one of the first things to go, under such a virulent regime.

The tree of liberty will need to be watered soon with the blood of Patriots and tyrants. to paraphrase Mr. Jefferson...

Like Print Ritter told the Indians: "Tell 'em I'm an old man, sick and dyin', and I don't give a sh*t if I die today or tomorrow -- One horse!"
In other words, if there's gonna be a revolution, let it begin NOW, while I can still fight, rather than leaving the bloody job to my grandchildren...
Regards

Buck

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

BTT
Regards

Buck

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

"I expect we'll all be deprived of our private transportation, impoverished, euthenized, or rounded up and shipped to big cities long before wolf hunting is legalized in the Cowboy State."

The state wanted to make them like coyotes, predators that could be shot any time, anywhere, outside of the immediate Yellowstone area. The feds, pushed by the enviro goofs had a judge issue an injunction after that law came into effect for a few short days/weeks. Several were killed in the time tho. There's way plenty of them, they are colonizing the Bighorns, and have gone as far as Casper looking for new country. Wyoming hasn't wanted to back down from that plan, and the feds haven't wanted to give an inch either. Wyo should ease up, making them like big game as other states have planned, then in a few years could do as they pleased when the dust settled. Seasons and tag prices can be set by the state at whatever level they see fit.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Sport hunting will not control the wolves as Alaska has found out they've started aerial shooting up there, wolves are hard to pin down and dont readily come to predator call they are generally a opportunity shot only just like lions,very few lions are shot without dogs, the only time you can predict them is if they get on livestock then they stick around till the food source dries up. danny
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've heard from 3 different people that have hunted the Sunlight area that they have seen more wolves and grizzlies than elk the past 2 years.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Malamute wrote:I've heard from 3 different people that have hunted the Sunlight area that they have seen more wolves and grizzlies than elk the past 2 years.
Same here. (but we may talk to the same people...)

Sad but true.
Regards

Buck