UPDATE 8/31 - Range Report - Win. M94 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

UPDATE 8/31 - Range Report - Win. M94 30-30

Post by cnjarvis »

I had the opportunity to take my Win M94, 30-30 to the range this weekend for a little trigger time and load testing. As much fun as it was to get out and shoot paper, I’m only somewhat pleased with the results. I did something a little different this time from the way I normally shoot this rifle. This time, I took a folded towel and placed it between the forend and the front rest to give it a bit more cushion. As a result, the vertical stringing I usually see with this rifle was mostly eliminated. That’s good news. I do wish it had shot better though – I’d be happy with 1” at 50 yds.

Without further fuss, here are the results (@ 50yds):
Speer 150gr. FP – 34.5 gr. W748 – 2.190”
Speer 150gr. FP – 31.5 gr. H335 – 1.593” ****
Speer 150gr. FP – 32.5 gr. H4895 – 2.361”
Winchester 150gr. FP – 31.5 gr. H335 – 2.310”
Winchester 150gr. FP – 32.5 gr. H4895 – 2.434”

**** = Best group so far from this rifle

More testing is needed of course.
Last edited by cnjarvis on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Range Report - Win. M94 30-30

Post by meanc »

Were you using a scope this outing and have you tried shooting groups with factory ammo?
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

meanc wrote:Were you using a scope this outing and have you tried shooting groups with factory ammo?
No scope - This one wears factory irons.

Factory ammo!?!?!?! BLASPHEMY! Seriously, it has been 4-5 years since I've fed this thing factory ammo but I do recall (barely) that factory was under 4" at 100yds. Truth be told, I don't shoot this rifle much.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is not that bad group wise. Maybe try some 170's some guns like them better than 150's.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've found that RE-7 and BL(C-2) give me best accuracy in my .30-30s.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

You may want to work your loads around some also. The H-335 loads may have some room to move upwards a few grains.

A good reciever sight and blade front sight will likely help also.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I plan on tinkering with both W748 and H335. Both have given pretty good results in this rifle. I've also tried some 170gr. Speer FP's but haven't tested more than 3-4 loads with it. Accuracy wasn't any better than the 150's.

I don't plan on adding a receiver or tang sight to this one. My father gave it to me as-is and I want to keep it that way.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Accurizing the Lever Action Rifle. There's a hint or two in there about wringing the most outta yer levergun.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
444Hal
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 444Hal »

I've found that 35grs of W748 with Rem or Win 150's work well in my 336, but I'm testing the H335 right now. 31.5 to 32 is looking real promising.

Will let you know how I make out :)
Levergunning & Handloading
Yeah, I roll my own pilgrim
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

cnjarvis,

Just for giggles and grins, being about 15 years since I put a Win 94 30-30 on paper from the bench ..... :oops: , when last I did so I averaged around 2" groups with both the factory iron sights and a receiver sight with a post front.

This using my favorite load of 34.5grs Win 748 and a 150gr grain bullet of the rifles choice. From my experience the use of a Winchester WLR ( 7-111 ) primer, 34.5grs of 748 and a Sierra, Speer, or Hornady bullet would always give me the 2" +/- groups at 100 yards. I never did try the Winchester or Remington bullets.

I never had to fiddle with the forearms, barrel bands, or anything else to get these groups. Just used a six o'clock hold with the bead centered in the bottom of the rear sight's notch and shot. I can't get any kind of group if I can't see the target, so using the "bead is the bullet" hold is out for me.

Recently I've come to the realization that I have too many rifles. I don't really have many, but I enough so that I can't really get familiar with and enjoy any particular one. I think that may be many of our problems today. We spread our attention around to many guns instead of concentrating on becoming proficient with one.

So the moral to my dissertation is, keep practicing with that 94 and one load, and I'll bet you get it down to the 2" +/- groups at a 100 yards.
You just gotta get serious about it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Griff, I've read Paco's article a half dozen times over the last 3 years and about all I could bring myself to do is re-crown the barrel which I'm not sure is necessary, or the forearm trick.

Joe, one of the two best loads in this rifle is the very load you suggest. In fact, you gave it to me a while back. I'm still trying to work something up... and of course practice, practice....
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

New info: I took the rifle back out this weekend to shoot for groups at 100 yds just to see what it would do. The only load I took out was the 150gr. Speer FP over 34.5gr. W748 since I already had some of these loaded. I used a Caldwell "Rock Jr." front rest and padded it with a fleece sweater and used a Caldwell rear bag for support. I also very lightly restrained the forend by hand. I was rather pleasantly surprised with the groups.

The cluster of four on the left is about 1-7/16". The overall group size including the shot in the center of the bull is about 2-3/4". Not too shabby.
30-30 target.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cnjarvis on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: UPDATE 8/31 - Range Report - Win. M94 30-30

Post by kimwcook »

Looks like the carbine will do it's job. Where in your group did you pick up the flier?
Old Law Dawg
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

kimwcook wrote:Looks like the carbine will do it's job. Where in your group did you pick up the flier?
I'm not 100% sure but I think it was the 4th shot.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That combination, 34.5grs 748 and the 150gr SPEER bullet seems to be the best of the many combinations. I'm glad your rifle liked it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That looks great! Wish my eyesight would allow me to keep shooting like that... Ain't bad, still minute of deer for me... but I'd rather be more like what you got there. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Factory ammo (Federal blue box 170 grain) prints exceptionally well with my model 94 at 50 yards.
The holes darn near cloverleaf.
Dead is dead, either from store bought or roll your own.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942