OT - Smelting Pot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

OT - Smelting Pot

Post by cnjarvis »

Any reason why I can't use a heavy aluminum pot to smelt wheel weights?
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

From what I read it's not the best. Seel or cast iron is.

spurgon
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

I use one, it works just fine. I picked it up at the junk store for $1.00. I throw them in, then hit them with an acetylene torch and scoop out the steel clips. I have been meaning to buy a turkey fryer when they are on sale. The burner would be plenty big, and cheaper to fuel than my torch.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Guncase, The old "acetylene torch " is a good way to melt those `PESKY`
Zink weights that don`t want to melt at low lead /WW melting point. Of course they won`t cast worth a hoot but what the heck, It worked!
Cast aluminum pots are OK but cast iron is best. Look at Wally World for cheep cast iron pots made in CHIMA (south China) :wink:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The problem with an aluminum pot is that when it fails from too much heat it's not going to slowly leak. The bottom just drops out, and every pound of lead is at your feet instantly. :shock:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

+1 on what marlinman said aluminum pots can just go away.....takes a long time to clean up :cry:
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
Cracker
Levergunner

Post by Cracker »

gon2shoot wrote:+1 on what marlinman said.... ...takes a long time to clean up :cry:
skin grafs also take a long time to take.

As stated by others AL goes from solid to oh stuff at about 1220* (depending on alloy) which sounds like alot concidering lead melts 620* at and zinc at 780*+/-. but if you are pouring the coal to a large smelting pot on a turkey fryer stick a temp probe under the pot one time.

Do yourself a favor and search the swap meets and yards sales for a cast iron dutch oven, they can be had for just a couple bucks