OT- The St. Francis Dam

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

OT- The St. Francis Dam

Post by El Chivo »

I've been getting interested in this disaster, California's second most costly (after the 1906 SF earthquake and fire). I read about it some years ago, but just recently found out it happened near where I go to scout and hunt. As a matter of fact, I've been up on top of the big rock in the picture:

I'm thinking about going out to find the actual site, I understand there's still a piece of the dam left. As I understand it, it's very close to "A Place to Shoot" which would have been under water when the lake was there.

Does anybody know more about this?

Minutes before midnight on the chilly evening of March 12, 1928, the St. Francis Dam failed. The dam's 185-foot high concrete wall crumpled and collapsed, sending billions of gallons of raging flood waters down San Francisquito Canyon, about five miles northwest of Magic Mountain in what is now Santa Clarita. As the flood picked up debris it became a giant thick snake of mud and water and houses and bodies crawling at about 12 miles per hour down the Santa Clara River valley and eating everything in its 54 mile path to the Pacific Ocean.

http://www.sespe.com/damdisaster/
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT- The St. Francis Dam

Post by Marc »

My neighbor was just talking about it last week. He used to play in the creek bed as a child and he said there were still big chunks of concrete there. I used to shoot up in the canyon but I don't remember if I saw pieces of the dam. There is book about it in the library here that we both read. I read it years ago and don't remember to much except that it was a very destructive event. You could probably find it in the LA library system too.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You are right about the location. Go to this site and look at the pictures. You passed it coming up to A Place to Shoot.

http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory/st ... ctions.htm
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I think Mulholland was the designer. If I remember right it failed because the ends were not correctly tied to the bedrock. He never recovered from the disaster himself.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mulholland was the designer and it was later learned that there was a fault that they could not have know about it under the dam and he was later absolved of blame but it did destroy him.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

"Plus, the USDA Forest Service doesn't want you to get out of your car without a permit."

So much for the idea of "Public Lands..."
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You need an "Adventure Pass". The goof ball woman that runs this patch of forest service land openly talks about it as "hers".

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Add another reason that I'll NEVER live in Kalifornia...

But then, we have the SAME problem with the old lady who runs/"owns" Yellowstone.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Is this the dam that failed and took out the barbed wire factory, then the oil slick on top caught on fire and burned everyone tangled in the barbed wire?

Ed
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Old Savage wrote:You need an "Adventure Pass". The goof ball woman that runs this patch of forest service land openly talks about it as "hers".
As of two years ago, you don't need an Adventure Pass except in improved areas where there are toilets and trash pickup.

Someone sued the Forest Service and won.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Guess I am behind the times here - thanks for the update - what is the other pass about then?

Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I guess the one I was thinking of was the Johnstown flood of 1889.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnstown_Flood

Ed
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wondered if that was it. There were apparently cries for days of people trapped in the debris.

oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

El Chivo. i was a crewman on helicopters that flew over the dam site often. yes, you can see
parts of the dam where it was against the hills. i found it to be a chilling (?) site. i now live
close to where the waters met the ocean.
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

I used to live at the mouth of San Francisquito Cyn, right near where the Harey Carey ranch was located (and where yet another subdivision exists today). I have hiked, biked and panned up and down San Francisquito Cyn a few times, and driven it countless times. There are definitely some chunks of concrete up the bed of the canyon, but I never noticed anything really impressive, like huge concrete boulders or anything that just made my jaw drop. Maybe I missed the larger debris higher up the walls of the canyons, but I didn't have the aerial perspective.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry