OT - It appears that Ruger is discontinuing the OId Army

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

OT - It appears that Ruger is discontinuing the OId Army

Post by bigbore442001 »

I looked at the official Ruger website. All of the Old Army models have the words discontinued under their description. What a shame.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Say it's not so!!! :cry:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I guess next year would be a good time to put my NIB OA up for sale.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

It was a fine revolver too.
I guess it just couldn't compete with the Italian imports. When you can get an 1858 Remington target model, that shoots as just good for half the price...
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/ ... e=Revolver

That is how I read the information from their site. It is a shame .
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, what did you expect. Bill died. I'm surprised it took this long. Have you seen the newest abortion. A pistol made on a 10/22 receiver. Ole Bill must be rolling. Won't be long till all they make are the ugliest (this from a Glock owner) auto pistols on the market. They want the police market. Shoulda' figured that out when they supported the ten round mag law.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Their BP pistols are not replicas of anything. I'm considering an 1858 Remington, or an 1860 Colt Army replica because they're authentic, or very close to the original design. Those Rugers, while fine tools, just don't do anything for me. Kinda' (but not exactly) like those silly "inline" BP rifles that use propellant pellets and jacketed HP bullets, and laser guidance systems, and have a built-in DVD player. For me, it misses the point.
Not interested. I like flint and a flashpan, pure lead, real black powder and a front-stuffing gun I have to take apart and clean.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I don't believe that the Ruger Old Army is what you would call too modern in appearance or operation. I like the idea that it is the strongest cap and ball revolver out there. I wish that the money wasn't so tight right now,I'd get an extra.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

homefront wrote:Their BP pistols are not replicas of anything. I'm considering an 1858 Remington, or an 1860 Colt Army replica because they're authentic, or very close to the original design. Those Rugers, while fine tools, just don't do anything for me. Kinda' (but not exactly) like those silly "inline" BP rifles that use propellant pellets and jacketed HP bullets, and laser guidance systems, and have a built-in DVD player. For me, it misses the point.
Not interested. I like flint and a flashpan, pure lead, real black powder and a front-stuffing gun I have to take apart and clean.
You're not alone. :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My first year production just went up in value... :wink: :lol: That'll work out well for the wife when I die.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

jeepnik wrote: A pistol made on a 10/22 receiver.

They want the police market. Shoulda' figured that out when they supported the ten round mag law.
I just want to make two points to/against what you're saying (and I've done noting but bash the new ownership)

The new Charger costs them nothing. They R&D was done years ago by other companies already selling them. And since the gun's made from already available parts, it costs them nothing extra. It was a smart move.

What the magazine ban and police sales have in common, I have no idea. The ban didn't effect LE in the least, some felt it helped. So I'm not sure what your point there is.
Slow is just slow.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They want the police market. Shoulda' figured that out when they supported the ten round mag law.
Ruger and Colt both supported bans on normal capacity magazines - I think in both cases it was because

a) competitors had come out with higher capacity magazines and
b) why compete by making better/cheaper products, when you can use the hammer of Government on your competitors?
c) both were courting Government contract purchases, and wanted to earn points by being politically 'reasonable'.

I haven't bought a new Colt or Ruger since. The RIGHT thing to do when the ban came up would have been to immediately terminate all sales to any government entities. Barrett firearms did almost that, and I DO respect that company - just wish I could afford to buy/shoot one of their fine products... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

The Ruger Old Army has been over-priced for the last few years along with the rest of the guns they make.

Back in the day they advertised that because they "cast" their frames, etc. that they could always undersell their competitors who "forged" their frames, etc.. They make great guns but they are just over-priced in most cases.

Part of it has to do with the Italian Clones (Uberti makes a premo 58 Remington) but Ruger has done it to itself much like some of the other USA gun companies whose guns are going up and up and up and up with their quality going down and down and down and down.

Just my opinion.
ED
Yer never too old
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Ed,

Ruger -Overpriced?

Maybe for some of their offerings, but for the most part, Ruger makes a great quality gun for less than Colt, S&W and some others.

Sad to see the OA go, but there are a bunch around in the used market that guys bought for the novelty and don't use.

Also, Uberti makes a nice .44 for cheap, so I don't really mind if Ruger stops their BP pistols.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I'd like to know who makes a cap and ball revolver as strong as the Ruger Old Army. I know that Uberti makes some nice replicas but are they as stout ? I know some will comment on the historical accuracy aspect but I am more of a shooter and hunter.

Is there another replica that can be loaded with max charges of H777 under a conical bullet for medium game?
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Gentlemen,
It is a lot simpler than some of you are trying to make this.
Ruger makes what will sell. They have a lot of tooling that can be used to make what the public will buy. Ruger will sell probably 500 auto pistols for every Old Army. I love the Old Army. It is the best and strongest cap and ball revolver ever built. However, they just do not sell as well as more popular designs.
I can guarantee you that if a distributor places an order for 1000 Old Army revolvers at SHOT, Ruger will make them.
Shooters (or those who profess to be) holler all the time for new guns to be built, but then try their best to find fault with what is offered. Case in point is the newest from Ruger; the .327 Federal. Before the first gun hit the dealer's shelves, shooters were whining all over the internet about it being in the wrong gun, the wrong barrel length, etc. Ruger will bring it out in other variations, but something had to be first.
I wonder how many who are griping about Ruger dropping the Old Army has bought one?

Jeff Quinn
Gunblast.com
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Brother Jeff speaks the truth.

I love the Old Army too, but I was not buying a bunch of them and cannot whine now that they did not sell well.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

cas wrote:

What the magazine ban and police sales have in common, I have no idea. The ban didn't effect LE in the least, some felt it helped. So I'm not sure what your point there is.
Two separate points. First, the mag ban showed there true colors regarding what the think civilians should be allowed to own. As far as I know, they were the only fireams company backing it. I doubt Bill Ruger would have backed it. Of course the ban didn't effect the police market that's sorta the point. Second, they are dropping their black powder pistol which has only civilian use. Yet, they recently introduced another auto pistol. And, they are pushing hard to get a piece of the police market. Of course the ban didn't include police, ol
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

What homefront said!!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Jeff Quinn wrote:Gentlemen,
I wonder how many who are griping about Ruger dropping the Old Army has bought one?
Jeff Quinn
Gunblast.com
I've got one (blued) and I've got three R&D (?) Conversion Cylinders for it.

I ran across an article in one of the Cowboy Magazines (SASS maybe) or Guns of the Old West with an article by John Taffin about taking the loading ram and everything off and leaving just the Cylinder Pin on. Anyway, I did that and it works very good. Loading it with the alteration is just as fast if not a little faster than loading a regual single action.

Too bad they're gone but it's just my opinion that pricing had a lot to do with it.

Dang - I haven't had mine out of the gun safe for a couple of years. I oughta go check on it.
ED
Yer never too old
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I always thought they were intgeresting, however, I could never justify the price. I could purchase a vaquero or blackhawk for that amount of money.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I don't have one and I'm "whining" because now I'll have to find a used one that has just went up in price because the new ones are no longer made.....I'm going to SWH and Cabella's today.....if they have one, I might have to get it so I can offically, with permission, whine :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I went to my archived magazine library and found the article by Taffin (he wrote it under the name "Sixgunner") about the Ruger Old Army and Cartridge Converters.

It is the January/February 2005 (Volume 32) Issue of "Shoot Magazine", page 69. It's worth a look.
ED
Yer never too old
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

They are no good for reenacting, and there's really not a lot of other uses for a blackpowder revolver. If you are in to hunting, the Walker clones are better for that.

The most logical reason to own one, is to have one of every Ruger sixgun ever made.

A local dealer has some of the cartridge conversion kits, but they are expensive.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have a Ruger Old Army, that I have carried for years during Muzzeloading season for a quick 6 shots without reloading as a backup for my rifle.

It very accurate to 30yds anyway. I have finished off more then one deer with mine, and sometimes I would lay it out beside me for an easy close range shot on my off side, in some siduations. And it works great for a close range shot on coyotes, amidillos, etc.

It's a lot better gun then the Walker, except for one thing, the Walker holds more powder. They should have made the Ruger to hold 50 gr. of BlackPowder, like the Walker, instead of 40 grs.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

The Walker will hold 60 grains and it's equal to the .357 Magnum.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

The two negatives to the Walker revovler;

Poor loading lever design, easily fixed- The loading lever retaining tab is cut incorrectly on most reproductions. A few minutes with a file will solve that. Or a 51 Navy stlye latch can be installed with a little effort.

Poor sights, somewhat easily fixed- The rear of the barrel is plenty thick enough for a shallow dovetailed sight.

I prefer the replicas, ('specially the Walker )but am planning on purchasing a Ruger only because of this;
http://www.gunblast.com/Cumpston_ClementsFugett.htm
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

jeepnik wrote:Well, what did you expect. Bill died. I'm surprised it took this long. Have you seen the newest abortion. A pistol made on a 10/22 receiver. Ole Bill must be rolling. Won't be long till all they make are the ugliest (this from a Glock owner) auto pistols on the market. They want the police market. Shoulda' figured that out when they supported the ten round mag law.
I thought they already made some of the ugliest guns available! That new 10/22 looks like it's be handy as hell for a pickup gun.

As for dropping good product lines, they're steaming towards hell as fast as possible. The turds they're churning out in the SA line make me sick. It couldn't save them THAT MUCH money to weaken the frames to the point that you can't use the Ruger only loads anymore. Why anyone would make a product suck just for people to play dress up with is beyond me. They could have just left the single actions as they were and offered them with the smaller grip frame.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

"Why anyone would make a product suck just for people to play dress up with is beyond me. They could have just left the single actions as they were and offered them with the smaller grip frame."

The SASS folks wanted a gun that handled like the Colt. I don't blame them. Let's not forget that they buy tons of single action revolvers. The New Vaquero is much more popular than the old one was.

Unless you dress up, why would you want a fixed sighted single action revolver? That's why they make the Blackhawk which still handles loads that exceed SAMMI specs.

I wish they would have given us a .357 50th Anniv. frame sized revolver in .44 Specail. Everyone was begging for that. The bigget fault I have with most Ruger revolvers, is that they are too heavy for field use.

I've owned a bunch of Ruger revolvers but the only thing I have left is my
.357 50th Anniv.

bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I don't believe that Ruger revolvers are too heavy for field use. I have carried Super Blackhawks, Redhawks and Super Redhawks on an all day basis hunting and shooting. Never once complained about the wieght.

To me it is sad to see a sturdy revolver go the way of the feckless dodo. I know that it will hurt me financially but I want to get another this spring. I also like the idea of the Clements .50 caliber conversion.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

jeepnik wrote:Two separate points. First, the mag ban showed there true colors regarding what the think civilians should be allowed to own. As far as I know, they were the only fireams company backing it. I doubt Bill Ruger would have backed it.
Bill Sr backed the 10rd mag limit as a compromise because the original wording of the AWB would have banned the Mini14 in addition to ARs, AKs, etc.

IIRC he also said the 30rd mags and folding stock for the Mini14 were never meant for public sale either and that was PRE-AWB.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I, too, leave the loadin lever linkage off my ROA while the .45 Colt cylinder's installed - mucho easier.

Too bad - BP guns aren't"regulated" (yet), and .45 Colt cylinders are just "parts" - Buying the combination was as much bother as buying a pair of sneakers.
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Ruger old army

Post by dgr416 »

I bought both my stainless old army for $250 and blued one for $200 a few years back.They are awesome guns.Ruger also quit making their RSM dangerous game rifles for the cheaper 375 Hawkeye which breaks both stocks it comes in.You will see alot more cost cutting.They quit making the 220 swift also.Its a shame big companies only cater to the biggest profit.The Ruger #1 is also cut way back in models.The 10-22 full stocks are gone.I was suprised to still see the lever model 96 Ruger.Its not a big seller.
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...Mr. Morgan:

...You seem to be overlooking an important fact. The original/old/large frame Vaquero, was introduced at the request of the "dress up" crowd. Therefore, I really cannot understand your apparent concern about the new/small frame Vaquero being made for them also.

...Guess I'm missing something about your post!

...old goat
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

"Its a shame big companies only cater to the biggest profit."

There is no point in producing a product that doesn't make a profit.

Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

Travis Morgan wrote:
jeepnik wrote:Well, what did you expect. Bill died. I'm surprised it took this long. Have you seen the newest abortion. A pistol made on a 10/22 receiver. Ole Bill must be rolling. Won't be long till all they make are the ugliest (this from a Glock owner) auto pistols on the market. They want the police market. Shoulda' figured that out when they supported the ten round mag law.
I thought they already made some of the ugliest guns available! That new 10/22 looks like it's be handy as hell for a pickup gun.

As for dropping good product lines, they're steaming towards hell as fast as possible. The turds they're churning out in the SA line make me sick. It couldn't save them THAT MUCH money to weaken the frames to the point that you can't use the Ruger only loads anymore. Why anyone would make a product suck just for people to play dress up with is beyond me. They could have just left the single actions as they were and offered them with the smaller grip frame.
Aren't y'all just a ray of sunshine? And I thought this was a civilized place.
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

old goat wrote:...Mr. Morgan:

...You seem to be overlooking an important fact. The original/old/large frame Vaquero, was introduced at the request of the "dress up" crowd. Therefore, I really cannot understand your apparent concern about the new/small frame Vaquero being made for them also.

...Guess I'm missing something about your post!

...old goat
My gripe is that I'll no longer be able to go out and buy a new large frame Vaquero suitable for any use. I'll be limited to the used market or the stuff they're making now.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1