New Marlin 32-20 and bullet test

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

New Marlin 32-20 and bullet test

Post by BenT »

As you know I'm a little slower than most. By the time I came to the conclusion that I needed a 32-20 levergun, and after looking at overpriced Winchesters . I decided that a Marlin would fit the bill. Of course Marlin hasn't cataloged them since 2007. So I couldn't find any at gunshows or gunshops. Well I checked with the local Scheels and they had one showing up in Montana. So now I have one. (Actually the Montana store said they had two, so my buddy requested the second one only to find out that it was just an empty box.) I am very happy with it's balance and fit and finish.

Now I know some of you shoot 32-20 so I'm intersted in a good cast bullet varmit load. I cast a 93 gr round nose for my 32 H&R out of wheel weights. I'm not sure how fast you can push bullets made of WW. So I'm looking for enlightenment with cast 32-20.

Now I decided to break in this gun on a diet of jacketed bullets. Brian Pierce stated a good varmit load was 13.5gr of H110 with a speer 100gr bullet. Well I found some 100 gr Hornady's and used 13gr of H110. Using the juggenator I shot this load at 50 yds . One bullet was shot into waterjugs with an 1/2 in piece of plywood in front. The other was just shot into waterjugs

As you can see the jacket seperated. Both were found in the 3rd water jug. The one on the left was without the plywood the one on the right was with. The left one wieghted 82.9 gr and the right was 88.7. So the question I have is . Is this a good performing bullet? Even though it left the jacket ,the lead held together pretty well. Not a lot of fragmenting.
Ysabel Kid

Re: New Marlin 32-20 and bullet test

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This post needs a "drool alert"... especially to fellow levergunners who have been lusting over .32-20 WCF leverguns for over a year!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think they are really neat guns. Please post up more on your experiences...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow, I like that gun. :mrgreen:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I think you got a great rifle in my favorite caliber. I have a 1917 Winchester 92 in 32-20 that I have had since 1954. Right now the Hornady XTP HP 85 and 100 grain bullets are my best loads. You will enjoy working up different loads for it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I really liked the Hornady XTP's in my 1894CL. They seem to hold up better and the nosed doesn't deform like the Speer 100 grainer. The 85's really fly and are extremely lethal on varmints. If you're keeping the hides it can be a little tough on foxes and coyotes when you really load it up though. 100 grain XTP's are a good bullet in it for all around. H110 and W296 both work good in mine. Great little rifles.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sweet little rifle! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

IMO the best 32-20 bullet made was the Remington 100gr FP, but it is non cataloged now and can't be found. There is a cast bullet mfg out there who said he would cast some bullets with GC if I would provide a mold, but I haven't decided which mold to get yet, or even if I am interested enough.

Ed
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

In my 1894CL, I use BTB .313"-115g (cast) pushed hard by #2400. Good accurate load.

Best,
Dan
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I have the same rifle. The first one was a non-functioning nightmare built in 2007. It went to Marlin twice, then they decided to scrap it when they determined it was never going to work right. Marlin ended up custom building me one on a 2006 receiver.

I've been using the Sierra 90gr JHC, on top of 9.5gr of 2400. It shoots flat out to 100m. I also use 115gr Laser Cast, with the same powder charge, but it drops about 9" from 50m-100m

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Southern Man
Levergunner

Post by Southern Man »

I have one of these that was a basket case when I bought it new last winter [2008].

I sent it back and Marlin said they fixed it but didn't evn ccome close.

Then I sent it to Andy Horvath and he worked magic on it.
He got it feeding perfect with all kinds of bullets , smoothed the action , got the trigger to 2 -1/2 # , and replaced the saftey with a saddle ring.

It is now my go to gun for hunting small game with my Mtn. Cur dogs.
I'm useing NEI 115 grn swc-gc , cast from 16 to 1 alloy , over 4.5 grn of clays.

I sight in the 2x7 Leupold @ 25 yds and the tip of the duplex is dead on at 100 yds with the sscope set on 7x.

My coyote load is 15 grn of imr 4227 with H-85 grn xtp.

Southern Man
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

nice rifle, nice range, nice pics.

thanks.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

pokey wrote:nice rifle, nice range, nice pics.

thanks.

Pokey, you just said something nice about a Marlin. :shock:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by thornblom »

That is a good looking .32-20. My .32-20 is a custom single shot made on a Greener Martini Cadet action with a Green Mountain .32 caliber octagon barrel 26" long. It has a 1 turn in 22" twist. Treebone Carving semi fancy American Walnut butt stock with pistol grip, niedner checkered steel butt plate, skeletonized grip cap, cheek rest with beadline, hand checkering 18lpi, schnobble fore end with the same checkering and true oil finish. The metal is rust blued. It has Marbles barrel sights, gold bead front and flat top rear.

I like the 100 Hornady xtp, 12 gr of ww-296, CCI-Br4 primers, Starline brass. This load does about 1850 ft/sec

My other load is 115 grain Oregon Trail cast bullet, 9 grains of old 2400, CCI-Br4 primer, in Nickel plated Remington brass. This load does between 1300 and 1400 ft/sec.

I have hit 200 meter rams with the jacketed bullet load.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

jdad wrote:
pokey wrote:nice rifle, nice range, nice pics.

thanks.

Pokey, you just said something nice about a Marlin. :shock:
well..... :roll:

mellowing in my old age?

that particular model makes me think of the oldies, and i like the antiqueish
ones like you and mm93 have. :) despite my usual opinions. :oops:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Thanks for your loads. It sounds like most of you shoot the XTP's. I can't find any 100 gr Speers around here to do bullet testing with.

Sixgun are you lost in the woods? I'm surprised you haven't chimed in.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Ben: I am on an extended vacation, need some help breaking it in????? What a great find.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My nieghbor showed up with a Ruger Buckeye in 32-20 / 32 h&r mag. He just bought it today and shot some of my loads through it. Nice revolver! Shot great !
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Those are nice - passed one of those up too.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Southern Man
Levergunner

Post by Southern Man »

Ben
How well did the buckeye shoot ?
I've been thinking about getting one as a companion for my Marlin , since I can't afford a M-97 Freedom Arms right now.
Southern Man
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Southern man I was shooting at 30 yards and the groups were in an 1 1/2 inches from the bench. I had some flyers , but for the first time shooting it, I was impressed. Also it has the shorter steel grip. So my pinky was wrapped underneath the grip. I have a ruger sigle six in 32 H&R with the short steel grip and I like them.