1876 Repros

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.

My gun is a:

Chaparral Arms
8%
Uberti
17%
Cimarron
4%
REPRO!?! I've got an ORIGINAL
9%
.40-60
1%
.45-60
18%
.45-75
13%
.50-95
No votes
Hunt with it.
17%
Targets only.
13%

Total votes: 77
Hobie

1876 Repros

Post by Hobie »

We haven't discussed these for a while but I know several here have had or have now one of the 1876 repros. There must still be quite a bit of interest because I get a lot of searches on my blog for any info on these. Might like those people to find the forum through their searches... :wink: :lol:

-What do you have?
-Where'd you get it, do you like it?
-Did you have to fix it? Is it what you expected?
-For which cartridge is yours chambered?
-Do you hunt with it?

I like mine. It is a .45-75 Chaparral NWMP SRC I got from Sixgun Shorty and Nevada Western Firearms (via my local dealer). I did get a replacement loading gate but never installed it. I haven't hunted with it, yet.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Re: 1876 Repros

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I like mine too. It is one of the early ones, but I apparently got lucky, as I have had not problems with it. It is a Chapparal Arms with a 28-inch barrel in .45-60 WCF. Actually, that is the gun that led me to this forum! :D
j schott
Levergunner

Post by j schott »

I have the Cimmarron. 28" barrel in 45-60 WCF. It shoots better then I do. I have not gotten a deer with it yet, but I hope to change that this year.
NRA life member
NMLRA member
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Mines' a Uberti Centennial with 28inch barrel in 45/60.I have a couple of other Ubertis(73 carbine in 22lr and a73 1 of 1000sporter in 44/40)and I like their quality so I went the Uberti.I chose 45/60 because in a pinch I can make brass from a 45/70 case.
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

1876 Winchester by Chaparral (Charter Arms) in 40/60 Win. (Does this mean I can not play in the poll)

I have been playing with the 40/60 for the past few days. When I bought this rifle I could find no components for reloading.
I found the dies at CH/4D custom dies.
The brass was cut and formed from 40/65 ammo I bought on close out for five dollars a box. I bought ten boxes and broke them down and used the bullets in the first reloads.
Buffalo Arms supplied the 40.6 210 grain FN bullets that I now use. I also found some 40/60 brass at Buffalo Arms. The price of 40/60 brass made me happy that I had 40/65 to cut down.
The load I now shoot is 210 grain 40.6 Buffalo Arms FN bullet seated in a formed case trimmed to an OATL of 1.85, seated over 25 grains of Alliance 5744. The OACL is 2.145.
The velocity should be about 1850 fps.
I don’t have photos of targets but I can get three to four of five clay bird sitting on the 100 yard berm (110 yards) using the iron sights that came on the rifle.
The only problems experienced was the mag tube working out when the mag hanger pin was lost. Also the action has to be thrown with force for the rifle to feed and extract, pampering slow and easy will not get it.
I also need to see if I can get a Lee factory crimp die in 40.6. Some of my attempts at trimming brass have left me with weird and ragged case lengths.

Any suggestions from the board regarding shooting and reloading the 40/60 are welcome.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sorry for the typo Tom. Musta been thinking Marlin.... :roll: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

You left off " I Really, Really want one!"

Hobie,

Your write up on loading the 45-75 is great! I had no idea how involved it would be.

I'll get my hands on one eventually. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I'm gonna try my .45-75 with 42 grs IMR 4198 and 250 gr Barnes TSX copper bullets. The 300s work slick in my Miroku and original 1886s, but they are so long that the powder charge must be reduced several grains to avoid heavy compressing of the load. I do need a taller front sight on the Miroku, though. I couldn't hit a deer size target at 100 yds without aiming at the feet. Aiming at the hoof should get me a nice chest shot. Maybe it's dead on at 400 yds. Think I'll try a Lyman #4 Ivory tipped Hunting front sight. Gotta few of them around. :lol:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Mine is a Taylor's in .45-60, but since Taylor's was not one of the choices, and it is made by Uberti, I just went with Uberti. :?
Here's a link to a previous post about my rifle:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... f=1&t=8780

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Uberti .45-60. Only had her at the range, never in the woods. I got my brass from a forum member who turned the rims down and Colorado Cartridge Co. No complaints, a very nice product. 1886.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Tom Richardson wrote:1876 Winchester by Chaparral (Charter Arms) in 40/60 Win. (Does this mean I can not play in the poll)

I have been playing with the 40/60 for the past few days. When I bought this rifle I could find no components for reloading.
I found the dies at CH/4D custom dies.
The brass was cut and formed from 40/65 ammo I bought on close out for five dollars a box. I bought ten boxes and broke them down and used the bullets in the first reloads.
Buffalo Arms supplied the 40.6 210 grain FN bullets that I now use. I also found some 40/60 brass at Buffalo Arms. The price of 40/60 brass made me happy that I had 40/65 to cut down.
The load I now shoot is 210 grain 40.6 Buffalo Arms FN bullet seated in a formed case trimmed to an OATL of 1.85, seated over 25 grains of Alliance 5744. The OACL is 2.145.
The velocity should be about 1850 fps.
I don’t have photos of targets but I can get three to four of five clay bird sitting on the 100 yard berm (110 yards) using the iron sights that came on the rifle.
The only problems experienced was the mag tube working out when the mag hanger pin was lost. Also the action has to be thrown with force for the rifle to feed and extract, pampering slow and easy will not get it.
I also need to see if I can get a Lee factory crimp die in 40.6. Some of my attempts at trimming brass have left me with weird and ragged case lengths.

Any suggestions from the board regarding shooting and reloading the 40/60 are welcome.
Tom, I've not used any bullets lighter than 240gr in my Chaparral 40-60 but it has always shown fine accuracy. I've got a load of 28.0gr of 3031 under a Montana Bullet Works .406" 240gr(SPG lube) that runs out at 1380fps+/- that's shown a lot of potential. Couldn't find 210gr bullets when I got the rifle and have never gotten to them.

I was trying to sell it a couple months ago but sold a car instead and that beat the wolves back a bit for now. The iron sights on mine are pretty coarse and it's hard for me to keep from stringing shots horizontally so I haven't hunted it. That also keeps me from upgrading the sights on a rifle I'm not sure of keeping.

I'll go +1 on getting the Lee FCD, I had one made for mine and it's great. I also have the Lee dies and like them better than the 4Ds.

I trimmed all my cases(starline 45-70) with a tubing cutter then a Lee trimmer cutter(223) wrapped with 100MPH tape to bring them to final length after sizing. Lots of measuring involved to keep from overdoing it, but they haven't needed trimming since and it did a good job.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

-What do you have? Uberti 28" rifle in the process of remade into a 24" HRHO.

-Where'd you get it, do you like it? Taylors. Horrible trigger. Finish OK but it was stripped, polished and sent to Turnbull for CCH.

-Did you have to fix it? Is it what you expected? Trigger will definitely need to be fixed. In general, I was disappointed.

-For which cartridge is yours chambered? 45-60 but being changed to 45-75 (Taylors didn't have them at the time).

-Do you hunt with it? Nope. I only care to eat things that are so large that I can no longer pack them out.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Leverluver wrote:I only care to eat things that are so large that I can no longer pack them out.
Now there's a sentiment more and more of us can relate to. :!: We have several people come into the shop who don't shoot anything large they can't drive the truck right up to. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I had a uberti 45-75 and loved it. Posted hunt results with it when I traveled to meet some levergunners and shot a Yak and Boar with it. LOVED it. Sold it for what I had in it when I was consolidating firearms and wound up with an original 1886 in 45-70 instead.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

buffboy,

Thanks for the information on your 40/60.
I will have to try that loading in my rifle.
Larry O
Levergunner

Post by Larry O »

Hobie:
I, too, have a Uberti 45-75 and really like it but had to do alot of "reconditioning" on it such as the trigger pull which started out at 12 pounds and now is at 5.5 pounds. I took off that yucky "plastic-like" finish and it now has a hand-rubbed linseed oil finish. The rear sight was replaced with a ladder sight and I had to file down the front sight for myself. I also found that the original factory loads had 76 grains of BP instead of the headstamped 75 grains so, naturally, I had to try it. I used 76 grains of Swiss 1½, a cardboard wad and one of my Hoch 350 grain bullets at 16:1 alloy. Bottom line--I got the stuff kicked out of me but it was fun. The action is smooth as silk and seems to get silkier after each shot. I started out using Bertram brass and after 1(ONE) shot had a case failure. Went to .348 brass and no problems. I even got some of that new Jamison stuff and it is very nice. I almost went to a 45-60 as one of my relatives has an original in 45-60. I decided to get the 45-75 since if it was good enough for TR its good enough for me.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

No one spoke of shooting an original. Has anyone done this? My '76 original is not in a condition (loose links) where I would shoot it now, but I think reproduction links are available. Someday I might fix it up and shoot it.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

I had two of the Chaps. Note use of the word "HAD". Serious problems with both of them, and we parted company. I still have 45-60 dies, brass and bullets, and plan to get one of Cimarron's "Crossfire Trail" SRCs in 45-60.
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

My late friend had one and we had a shooting session more or less comparing it to a 94 rifle I have. I don't remember who made his, but I believe it is a .45-60.

cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

I shoot an original in 45-75. I use Trail Boss, shoots great.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It seems that the Uberti made .45-60 is the most popular and most use their guns for hunting.

One can't argue with Uberti's consistent high quality or the practicality of the .45-60 cartridge.

I'd bet that most 1876 shooters also cast their own bullets.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Larry O
Levergunner

Post by Larry O »

Hobie:
Speaking for myself, I cast all my own and make my own alloys. As you know, my rifle is in 45-75 caliber. After my "modifications", my rifle is just the way that I like it. Hunting? Yep! and also alot of paper punching. Had one of my relatives-who is a certifiable "Gun Nut" take a peak at it the other day for the first time and told me that it is one fine looking rifle. That made my day. I have a custom made Hoch mold for my rifle. I sent Farmer a copy of a picture of what the original bullet looked like out of a very old Lyman manual and he made my mold to those specs. Was spendy and took time to get but was, in the end, worth it. I also have one of his molds for my .40-82s also and it is a gas check and is of the same caliber of worksmanship.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Larry O wrote:Hobie:
Speaking for myself, I cast all my own and make my own alloys. As you know, my rifle is in 45-75 caliber. After my "modifications", my rifle is just the way that I like it. Hunting? Yep! and also alot of paper punching. Had one of my relatives-who is a certifiable "Gun Nut" take a peak at it the other day for the first time and told me that it is one fine looking rifle. That made my day. I have a custom made Hoch mold for my rifle. I sent Farmer a copy of a picture of what the original bullet looked like out of a very old Lyman manual and he made my mold to those specs. Was spendy and took time to get but was, in the end, worth it. I also have one of his molds for my .40-82s also and it is a gas check and is of the same caliber of worksmanship.
Yours is one neat rifle for sure. I was hoping you'd tell us more about it and your experiences with it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Larry O
Levergunner

Post by Larry O »

Hobie:
Not much to tell, really. When I got it--now that is a story all in itself. I had origianlly order a Chappy but when it came it was all busted to pieces--sent it back--they sent another and that was a mess also and besides the chamber looked like it had been drilled with a brace and bit. Sent it back. Buff Arms got into a fight with the Chappy folks who didn't want that one back. I then ordered my Cimmie(Uberti). Was a beaut. Should have done that in the first place. But the trigger pull left alot to be desired so got it worked down to where I like it. Then I stared at that finish and decided that had to go so scraped (not sanded) that off and hand rubbed in 5 coats of linseed oil followed by a finish coat of Tung oil as that stuff don't water spot like linseed does. Then I decided that the rear buckhorn had to go as everytime I pulled the trigger the thing would slide out of whack so put on a ladder sight and then had to file down the front sight to my more discriminating tastes. Now it is where I like it. I am putting together a sort of book that I have entitled "Me and my 45-75 or True confessions of a Gun-Nut". It will probably take me a few years to finish it but in it I am documenting everything that me and that rifle do. Like when I found out that those cases hold more than just 75 grains of BP. That was a delicious experience in recoil let me assure you. If I could figure out how to send a photo of my "Baby" on this site I would but my 40 watt light bulb upstairs flickers now and then. So here is what I have so far. I have experimented with several different powders and so far it seems to like 3031, 4198, Swiss 1½ and 2400.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I need to make a drop tube next to start loading mine with black a little quicker than "vibratory" settling. Will be getting some BP from up near Winchester for it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Larry O
Levergunner

Post by Larry O »

Hobie:
I have used that drop tube and much prefer to just take a wodden dowel and "tink" the side of the case. It does the job faster and with the same results.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've been "tinking" and thought that the drop tube might be faster. :lol: Maybe I'll keep on "tinking"!
Sincerely,

Hobie

Larry O
Levergunner

Post by Larry O »

Hobie:
I have used the "Tink" method for alot of years. I did, once, make a "Drop Tube" for a Sharps rifle that I had but went back to my old method. The drop method, as far as I was concerned, was, too cumbersome.
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Hey Hobie,

This is always an interesting subject! :D A wide range of answers and replys and possible curses under ones breath ta boot! :P

I have a Chaparral short rifle, in 45-75, which I dearly am attached to. By the simple reason that I recreated it. The only original parts are the barrel, mag tube,frame, and forearm and buttstock. Everything else is an Original Winchester part or replica Winchester part made from here in Texas, from ChasJones.

What a interesting road trip that was, to get it to lever and shoot good. I shake my head at myself, when I think of all the time and effort and frustration I had trying to get Charter Arms to fix it and then doing it myself. :lol: All in all, it was a grand learning experience, and I am thankful for folks like you and Grizz, Buck Elliot and others for helping me to gain insight into reloading rounds for and "tinkering" on the 1876 rifles.

I have two other original Winchester 1876 rifles that I have, one has the barrel relined and is in 45-60 and the other is in 45-75.

Currently I have hunted with the 45-60, but did not get a shot off. And I also, do a bit of target shooting just because I love to shoot the lever guns!

Cheers,
Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

okdee wrote:Hey Hobie,

This is always an interesting subject! :D A wide range of answers and replys and possible curses under ones breath ta boot! :P

I have a Chaparral short rifle, in 45-75, which I dearly am attached to. By the simple reason that I recreated it. The only original parts are the barrel, mag tube,frame, and forearm and buttstock. Everything else is an Original Winchester part or replica Winchester part made from here in Texas, from ChasJones.

What a interesting road trip that was, to get it to lever and shoot good. I shake my head at myself, when I think of all the time and effort and frustration I had trying to get Charter Arms to fix it and then doing it myself. :lol: All in all, it was a grand learning experience, and I am thankful for folks like you and Grizz, Buck Elliot and others for helping me to gain insight into reloading rounds for and "tinkering" on the 1876 rifles.

I have two other original Winchester 1876 rifles that I have, one has the barrel relined and is in 45-60 and the other is in 45-75.

Currently I have hunted with the 45-60, but did not get a shot off. And I also, do a bit of target shooting just because I love to shoot the lever guns!

Cheers,
Oklahoma Dee
You have a major magazine article in your experiences!
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Somebody came to my blog from this topic so I thought it was time to go back to the top! BTT it is.
Sincerely,

Hobie