Temptation and the Cimarron '76 NWMP Carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Temptation and the Cimarron '76 NWMP Carbine

Post by KirkD »

Gentlemen, it is seldom that I am tempted by a modern-made rifle, but this time the temptation has been quite strong. I must take responsibility for leading myself into temptation when I went to one of those internet sites last evening where one can see things that cause a man to struggle greatly ...... specifically, http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Repeat ... arbine.htm . I have to take my hat off to Uberti, the company that made these rifles. They used an original and built a modern reproduction and, have mercy on us all, it is one gorgeous reproduction. I know that there are some of you out there who are contemplating the acquisition of yet another levergun. Look no further. You need one of these. As for myself, I am desperately trying to fight off the temptation. Thankfully, I've got a very flat wallet right now, so for the time being I might not fall. However, I might not always have a flat wallet and I don't see my mind forgetting the Cimarron NWMP '76 carbine anytime soon. If I do buy a modern levergun, this just might be the one that takes me down.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Temptation and the Cimarron '76 NWMP Carbine

Post by .45colt »

Kirk I feel Your pain. :) . I watched Crossfire trail again the other day and that rifle sure looks "right"....... I can't wait for Your test report. :D :D .
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I HAVE BEEN EYEING ONE OF THOSE TOO....
I THINK UBERTIS STUFF IS TOP NOTCH!

YA KNOW THERE IS NO CURE FOR LEVERITIS :lol:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I looked over one of Uberti's 1873 Deluxe Sporting Rifle 24" Barrel a few weeks ago and it was absolutely gorgeous! However, the $1,300+ price puts it far out of my reach. A good friend who shoots Cowboy Action has their 20" short rifle with a gen 3 short throw action that is slick as anything. He's got a ton of money in it too.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I already have a Chaparral RCMP carbine that seems fine to me. I paid somewhat south of what Uberti wants for theirs, but maybe the overall quality of their product is superior. If they offer the SRC in .50-95, well..... :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

My next "must have" is a '76 carbine in .45-60.

Somehow the .45-75 just never showed me anything that much better...

A man can load either with 325- or 350-gr. cast bullets, and get almost the same ballistics from either round in a '76, without straining anything -- maybe easier with the .45-60.

Just my two-bits...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That link in my first post shows that the Cimarron '76 carbine is available in either .45-60 or .45-75. I would probably get the .45-60, since I already have the dies, mould, and brass for my original .45-60. Today I stopped by the local Place of Temptation (the gun store) and, glory be!, they had a Uberti '76. I looked it over and was very impressed. The fit and finish on this one was equal to the original Winchesters, with wood tight to metal and slightly proud.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Cimarron's that I have are very good. I did have one though that I would not recomend; that is the 92s. They are not made by Uberti and still have problems. They look good but the quality is not there.
"That'll Be The Day"
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Buck, I think you are right about the .45-60. The wall thickness is greater, so it can handle a higher pressure than the .45-75 (although the .45-75 has a larger case capacity), and the .45-60 has the same action, so it will handle the same recoil as the .45-75. Nevertheless, 1,300 fps with a 300 grain cast bullet is plenty for me.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Would that equality of performance apply with BP?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Darn, they sure are lookers! Love that N.W.M.P., personally I'd get it in .45-75 because isn't that the way the RCMP ordered them?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

So let me get this straight Kirk. You are thankful your wallet is "flat" right now? :shock:
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Kirk have you ever had a chance of to try any new loads for your 1876? I know what you mean about the 76 carbines. I wish I had waited a little longer and I would have went with the carbine instead of the rifle. I really like the full stock.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

45-60 case capacity would probably be better for smokeless..Knee mail sent for you brother..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ole pizen slinger »

For those that want an original...

http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/1876-winc ... police.htm

Enjoy temptation boys! :lol: :twisted: :lol:
ole pizen slinger
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I fired my Chaparral .45-75 for the first time this afternoon. The much discussed 45 grain load of IMR3031 left much to be desired. The MV was 1350+ FPs, but the cases were sooty and did not fully form against the chamber walls. It is a highly inaccurate and unpredictable load. A much better result came from the use of a 5 grain less charge of IMR4198. MV increased 400 FPS and accuracy improved significantly. This load performed perfectly in my rifle. Cases ejected easily and showed no obvious signs of pressure. The rounds were loaded into the magazine and fired as the rifle will be used, not single loaded for test purposes.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

hondo1892 wrote:Kirk have you ever had a chance of to try any new loads for your 1876?
Hondo, I did do a bunch of work earlier this summer, attempting to develop loads using IMR SR54759 and IMR4227. Unfortunately, after I had finished, I found out that the loads were very position sensitive, with the velocities increasing a full 200 fps if the gun was not first pointed down (like I'd been doing when shooting downward over my chronograph when developing the loads. Lesson learned. Always try some shots with the powder forward and then some more shots with the powder back, when developing a new load that does not fill the case well. My standby load using 5744 does not have that problem. However, 4759 and 4227 will either need filler, or must be abandoned.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Ben_Rumson wrote:..Knee mail sent for you brother..
Ben, you'd better start praying a little harder. I'm slipping fast. I actually found a Canadian distributer and talked to him today. I can have one in my hands in a few weeks, but I'm still fighting the temptation, but getting weaker. I'm going down for the 10-count. I've even figured how I can fund it (bye bye one of my original Winchester Model 53's). This is the most desirable modern-built rifle (next to a Shiloh Sharps) that I've come across in years. I'm thinking .45-60 since I already have all the dies and components. However, just in case I went with the .45-75, what cast bullet mould do fellows recommend?

Boys, you got to help me not buy this gun!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

KirkD wrote: Boys, you got to help me not buy this gun!
From this bunch of enablers? Must be getting pretty cold up there already - it's freezing your brain Kirk!!! :lol: